“Delicious, healthy, and fresh!”
Review of The Green Door

The Green Door
Ranked #18 of 2,840 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Well established (1988) and highly acclaimed, recently renovated (2014), vegetarian, pay-by-weight. Featuring organic and local ingredients. Our meals are a nutritional, visual, and tasty good value.
Reviewed 12 April 2017

Take a smaller plate no matter how hungry you are because everything looks delish and your choices are so numerous. Choose carefully....it is a large buffet. Then they weigh your plate. It can be expensive if you choose "heavy" food. But all the food is so tasty! I have never, in all the decades I have eaten here, never had anything but a fabulous meal. Come with friends or dine alone. Just enjoy!

Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stumbled across this restaurant randomly on a recent trip to Ottawa and were really impressed. The selection of food options is huge and their way of allowing you to take whatever you want and then just weighing your plate is excellent! It means that you can try a huge variety but have only the amount you want of each. I often don't like buffets because I am not a large eater but I do appreciate being able to try different dishes. This "pay for what you take" approach works great for that! Each dish was well labeled with ingredients so you know exactly what you can or can not eat. There is a huge variety of gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, organic, etc. There is even a large dessert selection. The only issue I had with the dessert selections was that every single dessert contained nuts. It would be nice if there was also a nut free section. This restaurant is bright and airy and we enjoyed everything we had!

1  Thank Thebutterfly2
Reviewed 10 April 2017

I have been going to the green door for years and thought that I should write a review as they most definitely deserve a great one. I always enjoy the food at the green door. What's not to like. If you want to eat real healthy food and not junk food this is the place for you. I eat raw food most of the time and there are plenty for me to choose from. Everyone is friendly and the atmosphere is perfect. Once you go eat at the green door you will go back for more, guaranteed.

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

This is not an accessible restaurant. There is little room between tables and a tight turn for entrance and exit into the restaurant doors. This is certainly not the place for those in a wheelchair, crutches, cane or arm injury. This is a cafeteria style buffet. Upon entrance my teen and I see the sign that states "wait to be seated". We waited and were ignored by the staff that just looked at us and continued to chat. We sat ourselves and waited. Nothing. We figured it was a buffet so we started to select items on our plates. Many dishes were with tofu, soy and a large focus on vegan and vegetarian. We then observed you pay by weight. For two small servings it was over $34 and that was without a beverage. The description for most of the food would be moist. The quiche was wet and mushy, vegetables and salad were predominantly soft and moist. I expect this would be an ideal restaurant for seniors, toddlers and those with dental issues. It was loud due to the close proximity of other customers, children and infants. Not the restaurant for ambiance or easy conversation, a variety of options or great customer service! We will not be back.

Management response:Responded 4 May 2017

I am deeply sorry that you had a bad experience at our restaurant. I have read your review several times and have taken measures that I believe will prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future.

First, we have hired someone to help seat customers during busy times. We provided further training to our staff to be able to identify people who are new to our restaurant so that they can be given a quick guide to how things work. We have also re-arranged the tables in the dining area to ensure ease of movement.

As for our food, I can assure you that we make everything fresh from scratch daily. We enjoy a vast range of customers of all ages and backgrounds. Being 100% vegetarian with 1/2 of our food being vegan, we are a good choice for anyone who is avoiding meat.

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

Very delicious lunch of chicken and salad, terrific tasting dressing, nice presentation and very attentive service. The flourless chocolate, chocolate cake was decadent. And the price was right!

Management response:Responded 4 May 2017

Hello Jackie,

First of all, thank you for the great review, we greatly appreciate it!
Although many people have been convinced that some of our dishes contain meat (i.e. our tofu broccoli stir fry or tempeh salad), The Green Door Restaurant has maintained a 100% vegetarian status since we opened in 1988 and hope to keep it that way for years to come! If you would like ingredient lists for any of the dishes you enjoyed, feel free to contact me at the restaurant :)

Nathan