“Excellent Elgin St. Diner serves great Brunch”
Review of Elgin Street Diner

Elgin Street Diner
Ranked #88 of 3,112 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$3 - US$19
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed February 13, 2018

Stopped in last weekend during Winterlude; long lines at the doorway however they found us a table for two quite quickly. Service was fast and friendly.
My partner had the snack burger; I had the Green Eggs with Ham. It came with cherry tomatoes, cheese and pesto. Very tasty. The sides included toast and home fries (more like fried mashed potatoes - very yummy!)
This is a real comfort food place, where they really do care about the customer experience!

Reviewed February 8, 2018 via mobile

So we made the trek to Ottawa all the way from Nashville, Tennessee, with three lifelong goals in mind. First, watch the Nashville Predators play in every arena in the NHL. Second, ice skate on the frozen Rideau Canal in downtown Ottawa. And third, seek out a classic example of poutine, Canada’s favorite comfort food.

Word has it that the Elgin Street Diner has the best poutine in all of Ontario, but I read some rather tepid reviews on the overall quality of the food. But locals reassured us this was the best place to get poutine.

It was indeed spectacular! The french fries were impeccable, magically retaining their integrity without getting soggy amidst all the toppings. What the Canadians refer to as the gravy, thankfully not the rich gravy of the Southeastern U.S. which would have overpowered the fries, was more like a flawlessly flavorful dark brown sauce, complementing the dish perfectly.

The smoked meat atop the poutine was delicious and a good match for the dish. The only downside was the mediocrity of the cheese curds, not squeaky and bursting with flavor as they should be. But unfairly, I’ve been spoiled by the best cheese curds in the world found in Wisconsin. The curds on Elgin Street pale in comparison. But overall, we felt the poutine certainly measured up to the Internet hype. The hot sauce and a little extra mustard and vinegar really completed the experience.

2  Thank WilliamWillieWilson
Reviewed February 7, 2018

I can't understand why this place is so highly rated. My burger was overcooked, the fries were taste-free (as skinny fries often are), there's no beer and the wifi didn't work. I gave it an extra star because the service was friendly and quick.

Reviewed February 4, 2018

This fabulous restaurant was absolutely amazing! Make sure you get a milkshake, it's well worth it.The food was flavourful, fresh and hot. Love, love, love, the fries!

The decor reminded us of a "50's" diner.

Serving staff are very friendly and most accommodating. They were able to handle the six of us with ease. Make sure you park far away, you will need to walk a little after your meal.

Reviewed February 3, 2018

The inside of my grilled cheese was burnt. How does that even happen? My guess is that they used toast that they had burnt and repurposed it for the world's saddest grilled cheese. I watched it sit under a heat lamp for a few minutes while my salad next to it got nice and warm. Yet somehow I received hot lettuce and a cold grilled cheese sandwich.