New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Ontario
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay in the Tower at the Holiday Inn. We had a suite which was excellent to entertain guests. We were in Sarnia to attend our nieces' wedding. There were about 70 out of town guest staying at the Inn as well.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and everyone was happy with their accommodations. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable.

We did not eat in the dining room, but those who did thought the food was excellent, but very expensive.

Next visit to Sarnia we will definitely book the Holiday Inn

Room Tip: The Tower is the place to be; easy access to elevator, parking lot, if you have a party with you you...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
As we host many weddings and special events throughout the year, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience on your niece's special day. With 217 guest rooms (including a variety of Suites) and over 12,000 sqaure feet of event space, we are a perfect venue for any special occasion.
It sounds like you and your entire group had a great stay with us....from "friendly service to clean and comfortable rooms." Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Second stay here, and it was generally satisfactory. I stayed in a ground floor room in the newer part (“the tower”?), which has a patio door into the parking lot. This was quite handy for me as I had a heavy luggage to bring in, other guests might appreciate it or dislike it depending on your preference. Room was comfortable and seemed just a little bit nicer/newer than the older section of the hotel that I stayed in last time. Desk in this room was situated in such a way that I could work at the desk and swivel the tv enough to be able to watch/listen while working on my laptop, which I liked. Room had a fridge and a microwave which was a big plus for me.

I ate at the hotel twice in this visit, (they were giving out coupons to Priority Club members which was great!) once in the lounge and once in the restaurant. Chicken wings in the lounge were tasty but not as good as Boston Pizza. In the restaurant I had the pulled pork on rosti appetizer, which was both unique and quite good, and a pizza. The pizza was tasty and big enough that I took most of it back to the room with me for breakfast the next day. Service was great in both areas.

Pros – Handy access from parking lot, restaurant food and service was good. Comfortable clean room.

Cons – Nice LCD TV, but the HDMI inputs are disabled by the Lodgenet tv provider (which many hotel chains have), which means that the TV you can’t hook anything up to the TV (e.g. Xbox, laptop, iPad etc.) Most people won’t worry about this, but I had been hoping to watch some movies I brought with me and was pretty disappointed.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Great to have you back in the hotel and we appreciate you sharing your experiences with everyone. Your review describes one of our newly renovated Queen guest rooms which is located adjacent to the Tower. I was pleased to read that the patio door access with lots of natural light provided a comfortable and convenient working area that met all of your needs. As you mentioned, we do have knowleagable and friendly people serving delicious food in Bridges restaurant and Freighters lounge. Both of these areas offer a range of unique menu items prepared daily using fresh local ingredients. With respect to the HDMI inputs on our flat screens, we are in the process of determining the best method to enable our guests to have portable media access during their stay with us. This should be resolved in the near future.
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Good Points
-Excellent restaurant. Bit pricy by local standard but high quality food
-Easy location to get to just off the expressway. Lots of parking
-Sometimes good upgrades for PCR Platinum members
-friendly & helpful staff
-My preferred place to stay for business in Sarnia

Bad points
-Tower rooms preferred. Rest of the hotel dated and not so nice. I only book Tower rooms or not stay there if n/a

Room Tip: Tower rooms the newest and nicest but also the most expensive
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TM643
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
I enjoyed reading that we have hit the mark for you on so many levels with great service, high quality of food, comp upgrades and a convenient location. We all appreciate you making us your preferred choice when you stay in Sarnia/Point Edward.
Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Second visit this year and I am seeing some little things that indicate slippage in attention to detail. Little things like - no bottle of water in the room or chocolate on the pillow. These were all standard in the past, but apparently not this year. And no offer of upgrade even though the hotel was half empty the first visit. The staff is still the same, efficient and friendly and genuine. Just sad to see the best place to stay in town slipping a bit. Maybe I'll check out the Drawbridge next visit. Haven't stayed there in 3 or 4 years, but it has some quirky charm.

Room Tip: Cell phone reception is better on the front side of the hotel, facing the 402.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you for sharing another review about your experience at our hotel. I appreciate your business and wanted to make comment regarding your concerns. We are still happy to provide a complimentary bottle of water to all of our Priority Club guests. As of January 9th, we have relocated all of the bottled water from the guest rooms (room temperature) to a fridge in our lobby Priority Club office. As well, we do continue to offer complimentary upgrades to our valued Platinum members when available. It is a Holiday Inn Brand standard and we realize its importance to the membership. I was sorry to hear that it wasn't availble to you that evening. We hope to have the opportunity to accomodate you in the future.
Oakville, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Don't let that photo fool you .. that's the tower section. It will cost you extra to stay in that section. Your standard reservation will be in the 2-storey section .. which is comparable to a Motel 6 environment. Even my Platinum Elite status wasn't able to grant me a free upgrade. Judging from the empty parking lot, I don't think the hotel was even a quarter full. I was so disappointed (and displeased with the room condition) that I checked out the next day. Worked a full 36-hr shift to get as much work done so that I didn't have to stay in Sarnia. Unfortunately, I had to stay some extra nights. Checked back into the hotel. Again, no complimentary upgrade to the tower section with my Platinum Elite status. Couldn't bear to stay another night in the horrid 2-storey section. Paid for the upgrade to be in the newer tower section. I will be planning my business trips to Sarnia more carefully so that I do not have to stay overnight (at that hotel again).
As a last resort, I may try out that new Comfort Inn, one exit before 402.
Did I mention that the coffee cream had a piece of dirt in the container (at the Bridges restaurant).
Absolutely disappointed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RTam87
I was sorry to read that, as a Platinum member, you were not able to receive your complimentary upgrade that particular evening. We do upgrade many Platinum members each night and recognize the importance of this benefit. I was surprsied to read of your disappointment in our Business Class rooms as we take great pride in all of our 217 guest rooms. Our website shows all of our rooms types and other exterior pictures of the hotel as well. I would love the opportunity to address your concerns and invite you back!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Our sports team was one of many during a 2 night weekend. Luckily, we had our 13 rooms in one "wing" of the hotel. All rooms were at the end of long hallway which overlooked the back part of the hotel where the small golf course is (made things quiet).

We had a standard room with 2 beds. The room itself had ample space and included a desk, two chairs and a bar fridge. Beds were comfy and there were 4 pillows (2 different types - firm or soft). Housekeeping could have vacuumed the carpets better - especially the corners.

Although you could set the temperature of the heater, we found the room to be too hot at 70F and turned off the heater after the first night. Inconvenient because when you wake up it is a bit chilly and you have to turn on the heater.

The washrooms are too small and need renovation. It was clear that the hotel replaced the sink but the faucet was not replaced. Floor tiling is the old small squares and this looked out of place when the rest of the room has more modern styling. The tub itself looked like it was discolored from long use/wear and tear - either that or a good cleaning is needed. If you had child that needed help getting the shower started, the washroom is too small for the child and adult to be in. Perhaps the washrooms in the suites are larger but the ones in standard rooms are small.

We found check-in staff to be friendly and helpful. We had 2 meals in the Bridges restaurant onsite. Use the kids eat free coupons as they definitely help. The breakfast buffet was good with a decent variety of drinks and fruits. Too bad they don't have this on Sundays (not sure why). Dinner was pretty good as our group of 34 was treated to decent service and tasty dishes (pastrami sandwich was a bit to salty though and homemade chicken noodle soup had a small bone in it, otherwise the tableside caesar salad and other entrees were nice).

I think the golf course has only 3 holes so if you plan on doing some golfing, this is barely a practice course to warm you up. The property is conveniently located close to the waterfront and a short drive from downtown Sarnia. The front of the hotel does face the border crossing so you are wise to avoid a room that is in the front of the hotel.

Not a bad stay if you plan it right. Ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel. This way, you avoid the older rooms with small bathrooms that are not renovated. You might also get a better heater too,

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces back of hotel, where small golf course is. If you get a room at front of...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMSarnia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarnia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Thank you for giving us such a detailed review of your experience at the hotel. It seems that your team enjoyed their stay with us. Our comfy rooms, large heated swimming pool, Kids Eat Free program and genuinely friendly service is enjoyed by many sports groups throughout the year. Your feedback is important to us as they help both our product and service improve and give us specific direction on future renovation projects. For full details and an overview of our 9 hole golf course, please utilze your favourite search engine using " Holiday Inn Sarnia Golf Club" which will take you to the website. We look forward to hosting you and your team again in the future.
Markham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

The service was excellent, I was warmly greeted at check in, and enjoyed my three night stay. Hotel was clean, staff was friendly. I would stay in this location again. On checkout, the front desk clerk was sincere in wishing me well on my travels and even one of the housekeepers went out of her way to thank me for staying there when I left.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the kind words. All of the team members pride themselves on giving warm and genuine service to all of our guests. I am very happy to see that you felt it! We all look forward to welcoming you back.