“I recommend this hotel for Sarnia visitors”

Best Western Plus Guildwood Inn
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Sarnia
Reviewed 16 February 2012

was here for work from 14 - 17 Feb 2012.
room 123, motel style hallway with the possibility of parking right in front of your room with outdoor access.
the hotel is fine, and I am told that it is the best in town. There has been a fair bit of remodelling done. The room was small but comfortable, a queen bed, tiny closet with ironing board and iron, dresser and fridge cabinet in one, flat screen TV, desk with task lamp and comfortable chair, 2 phones, single serving coffee maker with 3 cups of coffee and 3 bags of different kinds of tea,
The bathroom is mostly remodelled. New tub/shower enclosure and the water fills to a reasonable level in the tub. Bathroom is newly painted but looks old. The countertop is in good shape but also quite old. It is a clean bathroom though with nice fluffy white towels.
One bottle of water is provided in the bathroom.
I ate at Shelley's (the restaurant) for a breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is supplied with the room and you can choose what kind of eggs you want (2), toast, sausage or bacon and hashbrowns, Coffee and a 'small' (it was a good sized glass) orange juice included. This restaurant has a $10 beer and burger special which was appreciated by my co-workers. I had a great chicken tortilla soup. I would recommend both the restaurant and hotel,

Room Tip: you can park in front of your room with outdoor access, if you wish.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jacalope

Reviewed 29 December 2011

At CDN$115 for a very large, recently renovated, nicely done room with a very comfortable Queen size bed, fast free wireless Internet, a big robe and lots of extra pillows, you can't go wrong. The Guildwood is only five minutes from downtown Sarnia and the waterfront, and five minutes from the U.S. border. Complimentary breakfast is included in most room rates (the usual bacon & eggs Canadian breakfast). Shelley's Tap & Grill is the name of the restaurant and it's competent, but not anything close to fine dining so don't expect too much. The hotel location is great, there's lots of parking and the ground floor rooms have outside access doors. The newer Carrier climate control units in the rooms are notably quiet, a wonderful change from the incredibly noisy heating and AC units still found in so many of the chain hotel rooms. Front desk staff seem well trained and experienced, so check-in is fast. I have to travel to Sarnia on business every few months and I think I'll be staying at the Guildwood again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Agitater
Reviewed 25 November 2011

"We're the best hotel in town!" overheard the front desk staff chatting about a customer call while I was waiting in the lobby, which made me laugh. I tend to agree with them though. I was in a double queen by myself. Rooms are nice, complimentary hotel breakfast was better than than other hotels I have been at in town. Room was nice and comfortable. Gym was good enough to be used unlike the last place I was at. Short drive into town. Overall it is probably where I will stay in future while in town for business.
Minor Complaints: The flatscreen TV is mounted to the wall, which means you can't really watch it from the desk in the room configuration I was in, which meant I was sitting on the bed with my laptop, and my back paid the price for my poor posture. I will have to ask in future if they have other rooms. Also the PPV movies are ridiculously overpriced, but that is not a problem limted to this hotel unfortunately. I'm sorry but if its cheaper for me to go to the actual movie theatre, that's just nuts!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We were very pleased with our stay with one exception. The bed options are either a memory foam or very soft pillowtop. Both are terrible for my own back, so I got essentially no sleep and woke up very sore. The average person would probably do fine, and everything else was great. But this a note for those to whom it may apply.

Noise and smoke from elsewhere in hotel although slightly irritating. But the bed was, for us, the only real problem.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henry G
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Business trip with colleagues. Stayed at this hotel and held meetings in one of the conference rooms. Found staff to be extra helpful and very polite. So accommodating in fact that this was a very noticeable change from the norm!

Hotel has recently refreshed the interior with new modern furniture in reception as well as carpet and tiling. Modern updates as well noted in the bedrooms with new carpeting and accommodations. Loved the LG TV and a remote that actually works well! Beds looked so big and plush that they seemed to be bigger than queen sized. I liked the fact that there was tile in the entrance way of the bedroom including into the closet and bathroom. I am very picky about pillows and had brought my own however since there was a selection of 8 in the room to choose from I did not even have to use my pillow!

Had a beverage in Shelley's at the end of the evening. Sports bar type of place. Large TVs and would be great if you wanted to watch a game. I was told that it was an updated Smitty's.

My only concern about the hotel was the in-room heating. Found the old window unit hard to adjust to a temperature that was not too hot so I ended up turning it off before going to sleep and turning it back on again in the morning.

I would stay again. Good value, location and very accommodating staff!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 139 at back of hotel facing parking lot. Room was in quiet area at back of hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Our stay was awesome...we decided to stay here for a night on our way to Port Huron to do some shopping. Great location so close to the bridge. Our room was spotless, the bed was honestly more comfortable than mine at home! Shower was great. I was surprised that Smitty's was gone but not saddened. Shelley's is the new bar/restaurant. Beautifully decorated and food was great! No continental breakfast but you can walk to Tim Hortons! Front desk staff were very nice. Will be back!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 24 August 2011

There isn't much to complain about this hotel. The pillows were slightly too big and hard to lie on. The walls are also too thin as I was woken up early every morning by door slams. So if you're a light sleeper, beware ;) Other than that, I had a pretty good stay with my friends. The rooms was very clean and modern. The washroom was also clean and the water pressure in the shower was strong. The staff is super friendly and they always had a smile on their face. The WIFI connection was fast and I had no problems surfing the internet. I recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarnia
0.1 km away
Comfort Inn
#6 of 16 in Sarnia
8.8 km away
Baymont Inn & Suites Port Huron

Been to Best Western Plus Guildwood Inn? Share your experiences!