“Quick, family friendly”

Hana Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 229 Restaurants in Sarnia
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: My wife and I had lunch here yesterday (August 9, 2011). The restaurant opened on July 29th at the old Pepper Jack’s / Kelsey’s location. We enjoyed our meal. The cost, excluding trip, was $32.95 for the two of us. Japanese restaurants seem to be a little on the pricey side so this amount was not unexpected. On this particular day they were having problems with their credit/debit card system, and it was a “cash-only” operation. Patrons were directed to a cash machine at a nearby bank in the same plaza. The lunch clientele seemed mostly drawn from the casually dressed vacation crowd on this day. The restaurant advertises itself as “all you can eat”, but it is not buffet style. When we sat down we had to fill out an order form using the menu as a guide and the dishes were then brought to our table. That arrangement might be a problem to diners unfamiliar with Japanese food. How do you know what to try without seeing what was on offer? We filled out our order form, trying to judge how much food to ask for. We eventually placed a second order – just for dessert and there was no delay in having the additional food delivered. But with this kind of ordering system the waitress will likely make 5 to 10 trips to your table. When they get busy, I wonder if there will be delays? We experienced none however. Everything we ordered was very fresh and tasty and we enjoyed each and every dish. I guess here in the West we expect our waitresses to have a smile on their faces and generally give the impression that they enjoy their work and appreciate us being there. At Hanas, the waitresses seem to be mostly Chinese girls, and they show very little personality with the customers. To be fair, one or two did respond with a smile to other diner’s friendly remarks, but our waitress was blank-faced throughout. That needs improving. The décor is really nice and the washrooms are spacious and high class. I hope this restaurant is a success here in Sarnia and we will have another permanent outlet for Japanese food. They just need to get the waitresses to learn how to smile as they deliver really tasty food.
Reviewed May 11, 2018 via mobile

Have been here half a dozen times with my wife and kids. Never disappointed. Love the chance to order a variety of food.

Reviewed May 8, 2018 via mobile

I love good Japanese food.
This just wasn’t good.
Period.

Ever walk into a place that wasn’t busy and the staff are all kind of lounging around? You’re not sure if you’re lucky (because you’d expect to be welcomed) or perhaps unlucky. ...

Yeah. It was one of those times where four servers and two manager/hostesses are huddled at the table by the bar playing with their phones. The side door was open while they took turns smoking or watching the door. Smoke kept wafting back into the restaurant. The few tables got an occasion check by a random server.

When I get bad service I always check back to the management. Were the servers poorly trained? Perhaps they were not shown how to be good. I believe that’s the case here. No mal intent, just poorly trained. Whoever was watching the front desk seemed in charge but couldn’t get off her phone to do her job. No care there.

At this point the long waits for mushy rice and too much mayo aren’t worth the extra words.

さようなら

Reviewed April 22, 2018

Tonight we went out to our favorite resturant so excited as we do not go here often . Sat down and placed our order ...salad was great then the rest of our meal came . The shrimp were different very small and no taste , strange as they use to be great ! Then more food came looked good when I went to eat it ..it was COLD !!! and I don't mean cool I mean COLD like it had just came out of the fridge ?? we told our server and she took it away only to return it a few minutes later still COLD ! Other dishes came to the table COLD too ???? at this point I was frustrated no point in sending it back ..as it was they weren't following the NEW RULE where dishes are REMADE not sent back to the customer . We just asked for our bill ..this was another shock it was 61.76 for the 2 of us !!!! the meal was COLD the bacon wrapped asparagus were horrible some were even raw cold bacon !!! I have no idea what happened but I will NOT be going back there any time soon !!! so sad this use to be a nice place ! wondering if it's under new owners as the staff all seem changed too ??? I'd say if you haven't been don't go lot of other resturants in Sarnia to check out !!!!

2  Thank Gobacksoon
Reviewed April 11, 2018

Amazing roll combinations and fresh! Great value for the quality/quantity. I always come here, one of my all time favorite places to eat. Modern nice atmosphere. Best sushi I've ever had hands down.

Reviewed April 5, 2018

The food was very good, the service too. Beware the drinks ... if you have anything other than water, it is extra. There are no refills ... each glass is full price. Make sure you are aware because it isn't transmitted to you.