“Horrible!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Stokes By The Bay
Ranked #28 of 207 Restaurants in Sarnia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Kids, Groups, View, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“Horrible!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

I made the mistake of ordering the seafood platter, which was breaded shrimp, garlic shrimp, and a piece of battered fish with vegetables and your choice or rice, or fries. I got it with rice. I was disappointed the second I saw my meal hit the table. Nothing about my meal looked fresh, and I'm pretty sure everything on my plate was bought at the local grocery store, in the frozen aisle. I could have made the same meal myself at home, and it would have tasted better, and cost me a lot less. For $17, it was was a colossal rif off. The battered fish was dry, the obviously frozen vegetables were overcooked, and the seasoned rice that looked like it could have been Uncle Ben's was tasteless. I could barely eat my meal. In fact, more than half was left untouched. It was one of the most disappointing meals I'm ever had. My friend was just as disappointed with her talapia. I feel like the owners were trying to make their meals as cheaply as possible, to make the most profit. Quality was seriously lacking. The only reason why my friend and I went there in the first place was because Patty's right beside it had a 40 minute wait. Now I understand why!

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Sarnia, Canada
“What happened?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I don't know what's going on with this place. Used to be really good, but it seems like lately (at least in the last six months) the service has just gotten progressively worse. Waiters/Waitresses will take a long time for drinks, orders, etc, and for the basic fountain pop... it really shouldn't be taking over ten minutes. Now, if the food takes a while, I'm not going to blame the wait staff, because I don't know what's going on. Really, I don't, because they've never offered an explanation. Heck, maybe ONCE I've been offered an apology for the wait. I can't even remember what the food was like now, because I'm so caught up on the service, lol.

I missed the last time our group of friends went to Stokes Bay, but apparently the service was so bad (and I have never heard them gripe about any restaurant this much), it seems like none of them will go back. Ever.

So, in the end ... don't know what's going on with Bay, but whatever Inland is doing you guys need to copy because you're the only ones who have gone downhill.

And to the people reading this review I offer you this advice: skip bay, go inland, and you'll get the same delicious food but better service!

• Visited June 2011
London
“Worst Experience Ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Instead of rewriting a review i will just post the letter i sent to the owner it sums up our experience.
My wife, son, sister, niece and I decided to go to Stokes for Lunch on Sunday March 20th. I have to say in all the years that I have been going here for lunch, diner, drinks, etc. I have never experienced such horrible service. We went for lunch and arrived there just before one o’clock Sunday Afternoon. After asking for a table in the dining room because we had 2 little kids with us we were shown to our table and given our menus. After sitting there for over 20 minuets with out even having our drink order taken, my sister went up to the bar to get our kids something to drink. Finally when the waitress came to our table after 25 minuets, she asked us if we were ready to order in which we replied yes we are, instead of taking out order however she turned around and left us sitting there again. Returning 5 minuets later, we asked for drinks, 2 diet Pepsi and an ice tea and placed our food orders. Again we waited. After another 20 minuets of sitting there without drinks, I myself went to the bar to speak to the manager as waiting over 40 minuets for pop in my opinion is unacceptable. The girl who said she was the manager stated to me that she was "making our drinks" and would bring them over herself. I went back to my table and waited for yet another 10 minuets before our waitress came over with them and asked us if we wanted water with our pop. Something that really should have been offered to us when we first arrived. After receiving our drinks which took over 40 minuets we sat and continued to wait for our food to come. After being there over50 minutes with still no food we asked our waitress to please put a rush on the food at least for the kids as it was now almost 2 in the afternoon and they were extremely hungry. My sister and I went out for a quick cigarette. When we returned food was finally coming out of the kitchen. Sadly it was for the other family of 3 that came in a half hour after us. This was completely unacceptable. We spoke to the "manager" and asked her to check on our food as again the kids were very hungry. She had advised us that our order hadn’t even been started yet. We had been there for over an hour. We had enough. It was completely unacceptable. Your supposed manager did nothing for us, never apologized for the wait, never offered to go to the kitchen to put a rush on it, nothing. Your waitress did a horrible job contending with the 4 tables that she had in the section of the dining room we were in. There was an older couple sitting by us that also ended up waiting and they to were getting annoyed with the service. I have never in my life got up and left a restaurant after ordering food, but I had 2 hungry toddlers and they could not wait. We told the manger that it was unacceptable and that we were leaving, again she offered no apology or anything. I have to say I am extremely disappointed in the entire situation. I don’t think that I will be back and will not be recommending anyone to your establishment. Which like I said is a shame, as I have been going there for over 10 years and spent quiet allot of money there over that time. Hopefully your will speak to your staff and fix this situation.

• Visited March 2011
Guelph
“probably best pub in sarnia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

This is the 2nd time I have been there; it looked different inside as they are donig renos. Nice spot, and can be busy ish when boats are docked up, and probably in the summer. I had the jambalaya which was great. Unfortunately they do not have Cider on tap nor any budweiser product which is odd because they have other Inbev products there namely Stella. Oh well. Service was good. Food was great.

• Visited January 2011
sarnia
“sucks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

been here several times sucked everytime ........well ya can get cheap wings one nite wk ..drinking spot ... not good for food ... go next doorll

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Been to Stokes By The Bay? Share your experiences!