“Whose Needs Were Being Met?” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Festival Inn
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Toronto
“Whose Needs Were Being Met?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed overnight in early September. After checking in, my wife and I were dismayed to hear the constant stream of screamed obscenities and wall-bangings of the slobbering drunk guests right next door. I could hear them through my headphones! They were a group of local mechanics who seemed to have left their jobs early to join pals in a wild drinking bout----in the middle of the afternoon! They were so loud, that when I phoned down to Reception to complain, I was able to a) quote verbatim many of those men's shouted words b) warn management that surely there was going to be broken furniture to deal with in that room of partiers. I suppose our disappointment stems from the fact that WE were the ones who eventually had to be given a new room. Oddly, the first room offered was right below those partiers (??). Of course, we declined that and ended up in a lesser room elsewhere. We'd have felt better about this whole fiasco, if only management had shown the slightest intent to deal directly with those idiots and either turf them out, call the cops or move them to a new locale. Note that our polite request for porter help with our luggage was declined. We will never stay at this place again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank zebecToronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Detroit, Michigan, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

The Festival Inn has a strange setup in that it's more of a "campus" of buildings instead of one building. There is a main building with more hotel-like rooms, and then there a set of buildings on the periphery that are more motel-like. I imagine the rooms in the main building are the more coveted, and tend to get booked first. By the time my friend and I booked our rooms, all that were available were rooms in the motel-like sections.

At first glance, I was pleased with my room. It was spacious and clean-looking, if somewhat outdated. Upon closer inspection, however, I noticed that there were sections of the room that hadn't been vacuumed well enough, dust and dead bugs on the window sill in the bathroom, etc. The icky part, though, was the creepy-crawlies I kept finding in the room (both dead and alive). I understand that since this is a ground-level room, you expect to find a few bugs, but it was still off-putting to me. I killed one in the bathtub the first night (don't even know what it was, but it had many legs and was kind of big). The second night, I was in bed reading when I pushed back the covers and saw 3 baby spiders crawling under the covers with me (also now dead) The third night, I didn't see anything, but I woke up with a big red bite mark on my leg.

I thought the staff was pleasant and helpful, so service was fine. The pool and hot tub area - although I never used them - looked nice enough. However, my friend said there was no wifi in the rooms and we both verified than neither of our room phones worked.

Taking all of this into account, and considering that breakfast was not included and that it was definitely NOT within a reasonable walking distance to downtown or the theaters, I don't think I would choose to stay there again unless nothing else was available or unless I could get one of the rooms in the main building (I can only imagine those would be a lot nicer, so I would first try them before completely writing off this hotel).

The Festival Inn is a sister hotel to the Arden Park and the now-closed River Garden Inn. I have now stayed at all three, and the Festival is by far the one I liked the least.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank alesper
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Came here with school for the Stratford Festival.
Cons, breakfast was very slow (took 40 minutes for our food to be served) and there is no wifi in most rooms.
However, at breakfast the next day, service was unexpectedly much quicker, and we got out food within ten minutes (perhaps our teacher had spoken to the staff?). I loved our rooms, they were clean and very nice. the staff is very friendly, and although the hotel is not downtown, it's only a five minute drive away.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

There used to be a free breakfast, and there is no WIFI other than in the lobby. All in all it is not a bad hotel, but after many years of it being our default location for the Stratford Festival, we are looking around. Overpriced and underserviced.

• Stayed September 2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

As a frequent visitor to the Stratford Festival, I have stayed at many of the B&Bs there, but found virtually none that were what I was looking/hoping for, so this year we decided to check out the Festival Inn. It's an older hotel on the main drag, with free parking, newly renovated, indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi, gym (we never used it, but it was there), and a complete, very generous, breakfast buffet was included..Since we went as a family, we rented a suite so we could all stay together. The price was extremely reasonable, the pool was great fun, and the whole place was sparkling clean. The staff were extremely accommodating, it was close enough for almost anything (e.g., restaurants, art gallery, restaurants, antique mall, restaurants... well, you get the idea. We decided that from now on , when we go to Stratford, that's where we will be staying.

Room Tip: The suites were large, comfortable, and having a separate living room so now kids were awakened by t...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Guelph
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We were here for a baseball tournament. The room was very nice, clean and modern. The staff were very helpful in supplying a couple of things we had forgotten to bring. I would certainly return to this spot!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

We had to find a last-minute hotel for a spontaneous trip to see plays in Stratford and The Festival Inn had a room. We thought it was just a bit more than it was worth but took what we could get.

We have been to Stratford for several one-nighters over the years so we could take in a play on two different days and have stayed in The Festival in the past but the last time was at least five years ago.

We checked in about 4:30 p.m. and decided to have forty winks. Our curtain was at 8:00. We knew we were pressed for time when we left the room about 6:30 since it's a few minutes' drive to the theatre and parking, etc. We went to the hotel restaurant for a small meal beforehand with intentions of eating again after the theatre.

We arrived at the dining room door and waited by the "Please wait to be seated" sign. And waited. There was no hostess but there were three women waiting tables and none of them seemed to be moving beyond second gear. Most of the tables were occupied but there was no line-up. One of the women acknowledged us with a nod but we still waited. After about ten minutes one of the women came to us about 6:50 and I explained that we had to be out by 7:30. She sullenly said that that couldn't happen.

Now I have never had that experience in a Toronto restaurant. I'll usually get some explanation that we have to order from just a few items that can be prepared quickly.

But when I was told that it couldn't happen, I replied that it had to happen. (What did she think I was going to do? Have the curtain held until we got to the theatre?!?)

Then it took another five minutes to have a table set up and we were shown to it only to be ignored. The waitresses walked by several times but didn't even come to take our orders. What we did get were icy stares. We established our limit and at 7:00, got up and walked out!

I stopped by the hotel desk to inform the young man working there that the hotel obviously had some staffing problems in the dining room but that I wasn't going to let their problems become my problem.

We dropped by Wendy's for a snack and made the curtain with a few minutes to spare.

After the performance, we went to Crabby Joe's just down the street from the hotel for dinner. There, we were greeted by a most amiable manager and all the other staff were charming and attentive. The only thing I could fault them for was an unsavoury habit of encouraging their patrons to litter the floor with peanut shells but that was kept to the bar side of the room. We told the manager of our problem trying to eat at The Festival and he noted to us that just about all of Stratford caters to theatre-goers and has to work with curtain deadlines all the time and that if you're not prepared to do that, you'd better be in another business. We had a pleasant meal and left the decent tip that did not go to a hotel waitress.

As for the Festival Inn room, the only other thing I would mention is that there was a bedside table on only one side of the bed and that the lighting in the bathroom was a little dim. Also, the room air conditioner was a bit loud even at the lowest fan speed.

Next trip to Stratford, we'll have to plan more in advance and we'll definitely choose another place that understands catering to guests' needs. It's not like it's the only hotel in town!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Stratford hotels