“Breakfast sucks!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Sudbury
Barrie, Canada
“Breakfast sucks!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed there a few weeks ago and the room was alright, to say the least but came down for breakfast in the morning and it was not very good at all. (not a very good selection at all) also the english muffins were moldy gross!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
gms8sudbury, General Manager at Super 8 Sudbury ON, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Guest
I want to thank you for your feedback. We at the Super 8 Sudbury always like to hear how we are doing. One of your concerns was our Breakfast. As a Super 8 Branded hotel, we are required to follow the Brand Standards. Over the course of 2012, Super 8's in Canada will be reviewing their standards. As for the moldy english muffins - i can't explain what had happen, but i am truly sorry for this.
Again, thank you for comments and we will try to not only improve in these area's but all area's of our hotel.
Steve McCulloch - General Manager Super 8 Sudbury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

The only thing this place has going for it is its location.

Staff were unhelpful and unprofessional and my room smelled awful. Can't pinpoint what exactly it smelled like... dirty musty old man? Yuck.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Guest
I want to say that we are sorry for the way our Team was with you during your stay. I know that we did have some turn over with staffing during that time. As for the smell, we didn't have any other complaints about this, but we will look into it and have it addressed as soon as possible.
Again i want to apoligize what had happen during your stay with us.
Steve McCulloch - General Manager, Super 8 Sudbury

Travellers are raving about these Sudbury hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

On our trip across Canada, the first part of October, 2011, we set Sudbury as the goal for our second night on the road. Our first entrance into Sudbury was very dismal looking. It was an industrial area and even past that the city looked very dirty and run down. We decided to move on to the next town. A few miles down the road we saw signs for another exit and a billboard for the Super 8. As this was a know chain, we decided to give Sudbury another chance.

The motel was a bit run down, but clean. Heater in the room didn't work, but it wasn't that chilly. A free breakfast brunch was as good as offered at other places we've stayed. The cost of over $100 for one night seemed very high. Don't know what other motels were available or what they'd charge. We were tired after two long days of driving and just bit the bullet and stayed the night

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Our Team here at the Super 8 Sudbury, always like to here how we are doing. I want to thank you for your comments. We use guests comments to learn and improve on.
Again thank you for your comments.
Marathon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stayed here for one night on the way back from a family wedding.
Found this hotel late in the evening, after a traumatic check in and subsequent checkout at the Belmont.
The front desk staff was incredibly friendly. Rooms were clean, smelled good and spacious.
After leaving we realized my daughter had left behind a gift she had received at the wedding. I emailed the general manager who subsequently found the gift, and mailed it to us. Much appreciated and way beyond the call of duty!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your comments on Trip Advisor, we always like to hear our guests feel about their stay, so we can improve on the area's needed, and praise staff when they do a great job. Again, thanks for your comments.
Steve McCulloch-GM, Super 8 Sudbury
St. Catharines, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights while attending a family funeral. My male friend and I had to request a change of room right off the bat, as it was clearly a smoking room and I had requested "non-smoking". The tired but helpful woman at the front desk did give us an alternate room. Smelled better, but not very clean. There was dust on the guest book on the night stand, carpets not too good.
Worst thing was the shower and drainage. I was looking forward to a nice hot soak in the tub at the end of a long day of driving. My friend had his shower, but the dirty water wouldn't drain. It just sat there. Plus the tub was really dirty, dust was floating in the soapy water! I gave up my thoughts of cleanliness until morning, and complained at the front desk about this condition of the room. The same tired woman at the front desk said the hotel is old and needs work, so this was clearly not her first time hearing my complaint. The tub was cleaned but the drainage was never resolved for our two night stay.
Not staying at another Super 8, I think spending a few extra dollars somewhere else would be a better move.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
I want to thank you for your feedback on your stay with us back in the fall 2011. I am truly sorry for what had happen during your stay with us. I have taken your comments and reviewed them with our Department Managers to see how we can improve on.
I know its too late to correct what had happen, but the Team here is truely sorry for what had happen.
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Not very friendly staff, late arrival and was quoted $100 wth? there isn't a pool.. but we were dead tired..the hotel was PACKED with construction crew..we got one of the last 3 rooms and three of us had to cram into a queen..not their fault, we didn't book ahead..the tv didn't work, the room STANK like smoke, the breakfast area was tiny considering the size of the hotel! We almost always stay at Super 8's but we won't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest
I want to thank you for providing our hotel with feedback. We use guest's feedback to learn from what had happen so we can improve on. We are sorry for what had happen during your stay with us, and do hope you try us again.
LITTLE CURRENT, ONTARIO, CANADA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

Last October, I attended a business conference and stayed at the Super 8 Sudbury Hotel for two nights. From the outside, the building looks fairly nice, as does the lobby and breakfast area. Upon arrival, there was no front desk staff available or in sight and I had to wait for about 5 minutes. It appeared to me that the front desk employee was performing some sort of other duty down the hall resulting in the lobby and front desk area not being attended to. When the front desk employee arrived, she was very pleasant and assigned me a room on the second floor.

I walked up the stairs and when I entered the second floor hallway, the smell of stale cigarette smoke permeated the hallway. As a seasoned traveller which spends approximately 150 days per year in different hotels across North America, I was not impressed. The hallway had marks on the walls and it was evident that the facility required a thorough cleaning, painting and possible upgrade.

Upon entering the hotel room, it was immediately evident that the carpets required replacement as did the outdated bed spread and curtains. The furniture was old but functional and the washroom was roomy, but required updating, re-grouting and it would not have hurt them to purchase a better quality functional shower head! All in all, I did find the bed comfortable and did not find any bugs. The hotel room also required updating, but most of all; it required a thorough cleaning, painting and vacuuming. One does not have to have great eye vision to see that around the woodwork there was a substantial accumulation of dust and dirt as the vacuum cleaner did not do a good job or the room maids never used the wand attachment. It would probably also not hurt the hotel to purchase a better quality functional vacuum cleaner for the room maids to vacuum the halls and hotel rooms.

The breakfast area was clean and the muffin and coffee was nothing to write home about. I have stayed at many Super 8 Hotels and found them to be very good but, the Super 8 Sudbury is truly outdated, has passed its prime, needs a major cleaning, painting, renovation and new breakfast menu! The parking lot appeared to be too small for the number of guests, as I was unable to find a parking spot after returning to the hotel from dinner, thus I parked outside of a Pizza Store in a strip plaza located and adjoining or next to the Super 8 Hotel. The free Internet was operational and I did not experience any problems with the connection, but the guest computer located at the bottom of the stairs was not functional and at best was long overdue for the hardware grave yard!

I cannot vision myself staying at the Super 8 Sudbury during next year’s conference unless of course, in the mean time, it undergoes a major overhaul!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business