“Good for visiting Science North with children”

Travelway Inn Sudbury
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Best location in Sudbury for visiting Science North. I've stayed here with young children in 2006 and chose it again in 2010. You can stay parked at the hotel and avoid paying parking at Science North, just a walk across the road. There's a maximum of 4 to a room -- the beds are double not queen. It's acceptably clean, inexpensive, and in a safe location near medical centres. Very easy to access from the south -- go up Hwy 400/69 and turn right at Paris Street. Water pipes are very noisy and noise travels from hallway and adjascent highway, but it was quiet enough overnight. Consider bringing your own shampoos and cozy blankie to supplement your comfort.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 July 2010

In town for a business trip, this hotel was recommended to us by colleagues given its proximity close to our meeting location. There was nothing inherently wrong with the hotel, but by the same token, nothing terribly remarkable.

The hotel is showing its age, i.e. a lot of wear and tear. Furniture in the lobby is somewhat threadbare and showing damage, knicks in the woods, scratches, etc. Furnishings, fittings and colour scheme are quite date. However, on a positive note the hotel is reasonably clean.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced room in a hotel with few amenities this would do the trick. My room was a good size, quite clean, fresh sheets and comfortable bed. Cable TV had a lot of stations. Television quality was good, though a dated CRT, not plasma/LCD. In room amenities - ironing board, iron, bar fridge, coffee maker. Free wireless was a good bonus.

One area of the hotel I was very impressed with is the restaurant. Curious Thyme Bistro, an independent restaurant located off the hotel lobby, provided an excellent dinner. Interestingly, their menu was heavily influenced with game meats. My red deer medallions were perfectly prepared with a curried blueberry sauce. I would highly recommend this restaurant, as would my dining companions.

Summary - if you are looking for a basic hotel offering good value, this one would do the trick.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Played in the Ontario Amateur Golf tournament and decided to book a hotel that was not the host hotel (holiday inn was under construction/renovation). I am glad I did as the 5 nights I spent there at the beginning of July were very comfortable. The room was clean, housekeeping kept the supplies filled and the room neat. Free internet. Did not eat at the hotel restaurant as was golfing all week. Good location- across from hospital and Science North. No complaints.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Ok, I have stayed here many times before and is in my opinion the best spot to stay considering a balance of price vs. location/amenities. There are a couple of better hotels, but you will pay; and with this hotel, if you are there just for business and want a decent place stay here this is it. That being said I have not stayed here for about 6 months and I have to ask, what happened Travelway?

This time I found the hotel has gotten sloppy. The room was not that clean (I have seen much worse though), like the weeks worth of dust behind the bathroom door that had become a hair trap (obviously did not mop behind the door), or the half sized pizza box in the fridge complete with bread sticks and dippy sauce, or the beer cap under the end table next to the sitting chair. I was not going my way to find these things, just thru normal use of the hotel room. This really disappointed me as I have stayed here about 15 times and have never seen this. Also I noticed the beds are starting to show their age, as mine was saggy and springy but were still comfortable enough for a good night sleep. This may not be the case in another six months though.

Considering all the other good things I have mentioned in past reviews here which still stand, like the renovated property, hotel, and rooms or the primo business lounge, the free Globe&Mail, the great wireless internet, or the excellent restaurant on site, to name just a few. For this reason, I am writing off this experience as an anomaly and hope the next one will be better again and would still recommend this place to others. Trust me, I have stayed in just about every hotel in Sudbury (never got to the Fairfield though) and this place is still a dream compared to some of the others which were dives, one of which was probably the worst place I have ever stayed. So if you are thinking this place is not for me, I would still give it a try.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We stayed for 1 night and found this hotel to be quite adequate. It was easy to find and well located to almost everything. The rooms were certainly not new but very clean and the beds very comfortable. The restaurant was certainly not family oriented as very pricey and high class. We had to leave the premises to get a meal. Note that if you book online under the CAA rate it does NOT include breakfast. Overall a decent stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Hotel presents itself nicely and the rooms are not disappointing, with comfortable beds, in room fridge with a nice selection of flavoured coffee and teas, although they do not have in room movies available. The restaurant was very disappointing as they only cater to visitors with a different palate, serving items such as kangaroo and elk. We came in a bit later and as we had a dibetic with us needed to find something to eat on the lighter side. The restaurant would not accommodate at all and the hotel staff was not able to tell us where we could find something outside of chips and chocolate within the area. The hotel is located in a great sport for tourists close to science north.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2008

The hotel entrance was good, but our room on first appearance was drab. However, after the first impression, we found everything to be very good: very comfortable beds, spotlessly clean sheets (changed daily), good bathroom facilities (even an extra washbasin with mirror, so two people could brush their teeth, put on make-up or shave, etc., simultaneously), good wardrobe space. We were only disturbed once by noise (on a Saturday night when we had our (ground floor) window open). Otherwise, it was extremely quiet. Staff were courteous and friendly.

The restaurant (a separate establishment, but with rented space within the hotel) has a good reputation in Sudbury and we found our breakfasts most adequate.

Another great advantage was that Science North - such a good museum - was only 5 minutes walk away. And the lovely walk along the landscaped Ramsey Lake Broadwalk could be started at Science North.

We would be very happy to stay there again on another visit to Sudbury..

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family