Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Superior Sailing

Everyone should experience viewing Thunder Bay from the harbour. Watch a sunset, see the great... read more

Reviewed December 11, 2018
Reeses P
Great fun

We did the 90 min harbor sail with Capt Leanne and had a great time. Nice vessel, charming and... read more

Reviewed August 31, 2018
pagep
minnesota
via mobile

All reviews captain greg wine and cheese minute harbor tour lake superior excellent tour on your to do list great fun a lot of fun visiting thunder bay sleeping giant boat frodo breakwater anchor aboard skiing harbour
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our 90 minute sail started out fine. Our captain was Greg. At first he told us a lot about the grain elevators and some of the changes coming into the waterfront area, but then he stopped talking and didn't really tell us anything else. I would have like more information/narration. Otherwise it was fine.

Date of experience: August 2013
SailSuperior, Owner at Sail Superior.com Yacht Charters, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Hello and thank you for your review.

I am sorry that during your trip you did not get the narration you expected. On many of our trips guests love the rush of water, wind in their faces, the healing of the boat and are there for the experience of sailing, often not even interested in the story of the harbour and we let them be. On other trips we sail guests right up tight to the loading ships, skirt by the light house, view flocks of pelicans and cormorants and the narration of the trip is non stop. We try to gauge what guests are looking for as each trip is different from the last. We sometimes get it wrong. We did with you. Please come back and I will make sure you get the full history of the harbour and all its attractions. We'll make it right and won't charge you for our trip.

-Captain Greg

Reviewed August 5, 2013

having always wanted to learn to sail, i finally took a last minute opportunity to jump on board Frodo (the name of the boat) with Captain Greg and put myself to the test. i signed on for the competent crew course that was done over three days. we went out for a familiarization of the boat for a few hours on Friday night, spent about 8 hours sailing Saturday, camped out over night, and returned home after 5 hours or so on the water Sunday.
What a fantastic experience for anyone who has never seen the beauty of the great lake we have been lucky enough to live on. i cannot believe it took me this long to really see how much Superior has to offer. other than the warmer climate, the Caribbean has nothing on us. the views of the islands and landscapes are truly breathtaking. and surprisingly, we actually had some terrific weather to make things that much better.
now i know the sailing course may not be for everyone, but if you are tempted to give it a try and want to do it along with expert instruction, then this is the place you want to contact.
even if all you are looking for is to get out on the water to do some sightseeing, Greg is the man who can help you out. do not miss the chance to see our natural environment the way it was meant to be seen
thx to Greg and the crew for a wonderful time.

Date of experience: August 2013
SailSuperior, Owner at Sail Superior.com Yacht Charters, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Rick00001967: Thanks for the great review. I had a good time teaching this class - great bunch of students. I sometimes take all that scenery for granted as I'm there every day. I like how it affects those that see it again or for the first time. But then all winter I just stare at the photos I've taken in the summer.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

While wandering around the harbour this afternoon, my boyfriend and I came across a sign for the 1.5 hour tour. We are visiting from Toronto and despite being from Thunder Bay he had never been on a tour like this so we jumped at the opportunity. It was a beautiful evening and great experience. Our Captain was Ellia and her enthusiasm and passion for sailing was wonderful to see. She was knowledgeable about the grain elevators and did her best to answer all of our questions. It was a great and unexpected way to see Thunder Bay - We would both recommend it!

Date of experience: July 2013

Thank you for your Review, S F.
I learned so much from reading it. That signs work, that I should reach out to Torontonians, and that my captain Ellia is doing it right. Those grain elevators are so impressive when you look straight up at them from the waterline. Greg.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

First time ever on a sail boat and it was incredable! Captain Greg was so knowledgable and great tour guide for the "totally terrified" flatlanders from Saskatchewan. He made our first sailing expeince so much fun (well at least for us). This is a must do when you go to the Thunder Bay area. Thanks Captain and your daughters for hosting our group, we had an incredable journey!

Date of experience: June 2013

Thank you dgall63 for your review.
I can tell you that introducing "flatlanders" to my big lake gives me great pleasure. It is so rewarding when someone is totally terrified at the beginning yet they leave with an incredible experience. I have made a convert to sailing.
-Greg

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The captain was very nice and helpful to us. This was my first time on a sail boat so I was scared that I would get sick but they told me that people do not usually get sick I have balance and dizzy problems so I was worried but even when it was a little rougher I did not. I felt great it was like all my worries just all went away. The captain asked if I would like to go to the bough of the boat like titanic and I was so proud of myself I did it the hour and a half just flew by. This was such a great time I would recommend this great boat ride to everyone, I found out they also do trips that take you to an island which we may try next time.

Date of experience: June 2013

Hi Ray M, thank you for your review.
I'm so glad your first experience on a sailboat turned out to be so good. I welcome you back to do the island excursion - how big do you want the waves to be this time? The bigger the waves the better the bow ride gets.
-Greg