“A Pleasant Surprise--Fantastic Beds” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas
“A Pleasant Surprise--Fantastic Beds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

My review is a copy of the e-mail that I sent to Roberta the General Manager of this property.

Would I stay here again---Definitely!!!

Enjoy........

Hi Roberta:
My email is not too timely as I stayed at your fine hotel on November 7th 2011. However it is still very sincere and I do also need to post this on Trip Advisor.
This part may not sound like a compliment but it is.
I travel frequently, about 80% to 85% of the year. Usually 2 to 3 days per week.
Anyway I had stayed in Thunder Bay in 2010. When I had my recent visit our company travel agent put me at your hotel.
I thought they were going to put me where I had previously stayed and was disappointed when I found out that I wasn’t. That was when I picked up my rental car.
Well to say the least I was pleasantly surprised by your hotel.
The friendliness; the service; the fitness center and even the free breakfast sandwich were more than I expected.
To top it off the bed!!!! The bed, and the night’s sleep, was one of the best I can ever remember having.
I came home and told my wife about the whole experience and also told her we need to get a mattress like your facility has.
I inquired about the mattress when I checked out and you were out of town at a conference but the smiling help at the front desk said if I wrote you that you’d be willing to share the mattress info.
If you have a minute or two that would be wonderful if you could share the mattress info. Do you know if there is a particular retailer that may sell them.
Thanks for your attention.
Also please pass along my compliments to all your staff for helping making traveling a joy for us road warriors and making us feel right at home. I really appreciate it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Gumba56ks TripAdvisor Contributor,

Thank you so much for your great review posted on TripAdvisor following your stay with us in November 7th 2011. I am happy to read your comments where we exceeded your expectation... The friendliness; the service; the fitness centre...To top it off the bed!!!! The bed, and the night's sleep, was one of the best I can ever remember having.

I know that our General Manager has been in contact with you to provide you the information requested, but should you think on anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.

We look forward to welcoming you back and your home away from home!

Thank you again for positive feedback!

807-473-2456

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Courtenay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

clean room, good bed, Okay location, if your highway traveling...arrived to late for exercise, but looked great.

Room Tip: all rooms looked okay from what I say....
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
emartineznw, Business Development Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear happy181789, a TripAdvisor Senior Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review on TripAdvisor. It is comments like this that continue to make our hotel successful.

We look forward to see you again here at the Best Western PLUS Nor'Wester Hotel and Conference Centre.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

The room was clean, the property had a nice pool and spa. The staff was polite and helpful, especially the gentleman at the front desk in the morning who was able to direct us to a store to buy a warmer jacket. We stayed on Labor Day and found that most of the local restaurants were closed. Therefore we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. To our surprise, the food was very good, especial the fettucine alfredo (breakfast was also good), service was excellent. We were traveling with our two large dogs and the hotel was very welcoming. Our room had direct outside entrance which made walking the dogs easy. Most importantly the hotel had great open space to walk the dogs.

We would recommend this hotel, with or without dogs.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Jes22 TripAdvisor Senior Contributor,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It is a priviledge to be a dog friendly hotel and having pet friendly rooms, as you mentioned in your comment "Most importantly the hotel had great open space to walk the dogs. We would recommend this hotel, with or without dogs. ". Thank you for recommending our hotel to others!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Respectfully,

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

A litte out of town, and don't let the exterior fool you. The rooms are great - super comfortable beds, the service is phenomenal from everyone, nice pool, jacuzzie and one of the best fitness rooms I have seen in a hotel! Add to that a great view and peaceful atmosphere. Even the food was great - room service in less than 15 minutes! There were two weddings the weekend we were there and we didn't hear a thing once we closed the door to our room. I travel for work a lot as well - it doesn't get much better than this! Big thank yous to all the staff at the hotel who made our stay both fun and relaxing!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back have a great view of the NorWesters. Really nice!
Dear LovetoRun123,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review on TripAdvisor, we sincerely appreciate your feedback!

It gives me a great satisfaction to read your review... it doesn't get much better than this! Big thank you to all the staff at the hotel who made our stay both fun and relaxing!
Best Western's mission is to Lead the Industry in Superior Customer Care and every Best Western is there to embrace it, that is the benefit of dealing with People Who Care.

I know that the last time you stayed with us was back in September 2011 and had a great experience with us. You may be interested to know that since your last visit our hotel has been 'I CARE II' certified, also received a Best Western Housekeeping Award in 2012, became a PLUS hotel, and received the 2012 Service Excellence TripAdvisor Award.

We just recently opened our new Cliffhanger Restaurant & Bar which offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all the different appetites!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Thunder Bay.

Best Regards,

Saint Paul Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed for three days and nights and had a very relaxing time. Plenty to do in Thunder Bay. Amethyst Mine, Kakabeka Falls, Suspension Bridge, Mt. McKay Overlook. Restaurant and pool great.

Room Tip: request back of hotel for view of Mt. McKay
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear merryhunter4, a TripAdvisor Senior Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor. Next time you plan another trip be sure to contact us.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Fort Frances, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

The arrived in Thunder Bay a couple of days before a wedding and spent one night at the Norwester. I seriously wish that we had stayed at this hotel the entire time. The grounds had some walking trials, were beautifully maintained and the view was awesome. Our rooms were very clean and the beds were amazingly comfortable. The staff thru out the entire establishment were very attentive and seemed well trained. We loved the indoor/outdoor dining options. When we arrived we were very tired and in need of coffee. We were able to go outside to the dining deck and enjoy the view and relax. Our waitress came out every few minutes and refilled out cups. We had originally planned to drive into TBay to have supper but when we saw how nice the dining areas were, we decided to stay at the Norwester. Our supper was wonderful and after we ate, we again, went out onto the patio where we continued to receive table service. I was so impressed with this reasonably priced hotel and enjoyed the quietness of being out of the city (only a few miles)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DjlJih
Dear DorothyLeininger,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review on TripAdvisor!

With pride I read your comments as the entire team at the Best Western PLUS Nor'Wester Hotel & Conference Centre embraces the Mission Statement of Best Western... "To Lead the Industry in Superior Customer Care".

I know that the last time you stayed with us was back in August 2011. You may be interested to know that since your last visit our hotel has been "I CARE II" certified, also received a Best Western Housekeeping Award in 2012, became a PLUS hotel, and received the 2012 Service Excellence TripAdvisor Award.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Thunder Bay at our 2012 TripAdvisor Service Excellence Award winning Hotel.

Best Regards,

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed here for two nights with my family recently while visiting my hometown. We chose it for the kids, because of the pool, and we were not disappointed, although i heard another guest suggesting at the desk that there was no reason to close the pool so early, at 10 pm, since there was no lifeguard on anyway. Nonetheless, our group had a really good time in the large pool, the whirlpool, and the sauna. My daughter used the gym and pronounced it good (and she knows!) Rooms were tidy and clean and well-appointed with sliding-door walkouts on both ground floor and second floor. Lighting was good; a/c was the old-fashioned kind (no wall control) but it worked well, and we needed it. There were lots of towels! The outstanding thing about this roadside motel, aside from its lovely location and attractive grounds and views, was the friendliness of the staff. I spent some time using the free "business centre" (one computer in the lobby) and heard the desk staff address many people by name! (Airplane crews stay here too, I noticed, while sitting by the door.) Staff went over and above, always cheerful, always obliging. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant too, and it was well served and very delicious, with a good kids' menu (NOT included in the rate, though.) The dining and public areas are attractive and spacious with nice outside views. My only complaint was the noise level from the room next door; i felt as though i was living WITH them. But it was a connected room with an adjoining door so perhaps that contributed to the transfer of noise. Nevertheless, I'll stay here again , and look forward to it!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DLCAlberta
Dear DLCAlberta, a TripAdvisor Top Contributor

Thank you for the great feedback, it is feedback like this that continues to make our hotel a leading competitor in this Industry. It is Best Western's "mission" to lead the industry in Superior Customer Care, and that is all that we strive for.

I would also like to take this moment to let you know that we have fully renovated that hotel. This includes; guests rooms 100% redone, our new Cliffhanger Restaurant and Bar featuring a new breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu. The lobby has also be re-done with log walls and a water wall. We have also improved our Business Centre which now has two computers. Wi-Fi is available thorough the hotel and it is also complimentary.

I would love to see you here at our property again, and will personally handle your next reservation with us. You can contact me directly at (807) 473-2456.