“Very pleasant business travel experience”

Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Very pleasant business travel experience”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Exceptionally helpful staff and a fantastic suite that was quiet, immaculately clean, private, and had a beautiful bathroom made a difficult business trip a wonderful experience. Had a very comfortable rest, used the gym and took a run on the road leading to the ski hill. Only ate breakfast there but the restaurant service was great and my eggs were perfectly cooked :-)

Room Tip: Ask for the suite on the second floor at the end (Cliffview Suite I think?)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SkyboxTO
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review following your recent stay with us. Your feedback gives us an excellent opportunity to see our products and services through the eyes of our guests. We are happy to hear that we managed to turn your difficult business trip into a wonderful experience!

The Suite you stayed in is the Cliffhanger Spa Suite and following your comment "immaculately Clean" just recently, our Housekeeping Department won the Housekeeping Excellence Award and primarily due to the dedication and hard work of our staff to lead the industry in superior custormer care.

Again, we are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back "home" again soon!

Business Development Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Outstanding health club, pool, whirlpool and saunas. Clean rooms, renovated recently. Very poor cellular service with Telus and possibly other cell providers. WiFi not quite up to speed in some parts of the hotel but not bad.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Datakeeper
emartineznw, Business Development Manager at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Your feedback gives us an excellent opportunity to see our products and services through the eyes of our guests.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed our Health & Fitness Centre and your overall stay with us.
Our apologies for not exceeding your expectations on the WiFi, it is feedback from our guests that enables us to continuously strive to deliver the service and experience that our Best Western guests know and love. Following your feedback, we have done the necessary upgrades to our WiFi equipment.

We look forward to welcoming you back "home" again soon!

Best Regards,

Kansas
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My review is a copy of the e-mail that I sent to Roberta the General Manager of this property.

Would I stay here again---Definitely!!!

Enjoy........

Hi Roberta:
My email is not too timely as I stayed at your fine hotel on November 7th 2011. However it is still very sincere and I do also need to post this on Trip Advisor.
This part may not sound like a compliment but it is.
I travel frequently, about 80% to 85% of the year. Usually 2 to 3 days per week.
Anyway I had stayed in Thunder Bay in 2010. When I had my recent visit our company travel agent put me at your hotel.
I thought they were going to put me where I had previously stayed and was disappointed when I found out that I wasn’t. That was when I picked up my rental car.
Well to say the least I was pleasantly surprised by your hotel.
The friendliness; the service; the fitness center and even the free breakfast sandwich were more than I expected.
To top it off the bed!!!! The bed, and the night’s sleep, was one of the best I can ever remember having.
I came home and told my wife about the whole experience and also told her we need to get a mattress like your facility has.
I inquired about the mattress when I checked out and you were out of town at a conference but the smiling help at the front desk said if I wrote you that you’d be willing to share the mattress info.
If you have a minute or two that would be wonderful if you could share the mattress info. Do you know if there is a particular retailer that may sell them.
Thanks for your attention.
Also please pass along my compliments to all your staff for helping making traveling a joy for us road warriors and making us feel right at home. I really appreciate it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Gumba56ks TripAdvisor Contributor,

Thank you so much for your great review posted on TripAdvisor following your stay with us in November 7th 2011. I am happy to read your comments where we exceeded your expectation... The friendliness; the service; the fitness centre...To top it off the bed!!!! The bed, and the night's sleep, was one of the best I can ever remember having.

I know that our General Manager has been in contact with you to provide you the information requested, but should you think on anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.

We look forward to welcoming you back and your home away from home!

Thank you again for positive feedback!

Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2011

clean room, good bed, Okay location, if your highway traveling...arrived to late for exercise, but looked great.

Room Tip: all rooms looked okay from what I say....
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
emartineznw, Business Development Manager at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear happy181789, a TripAdvisor Senior Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review on TripAdvisor. It is comments like this that continue to make our hotel successful.

We look forward to see you again here at the Best Western PLUS Nor'Wester Hotel and Conference Centre.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The room was clean, the property had a nice pool and spa. The staff was polite and helpful, especially the gentleman at the front desk in the morning who was able to direct us to a store to buy a warmer jacket. We stayed on Labor Day and found that most of the local restaurants were closed. Therefore we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. To our surprise, the food was very good, especial the fettucine alfredo (breakfast was also good), service was excellent. We were traveling with our two large dogs and the hotel was very welcoming. Our room had direct outside entrance which made walking the dogs easy. Most importantly the hotel had great open space to walk the dogs.

We would recommend this hotel, with or without dogs.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Jes22 TripAdvisor Senior Contributor,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It is a priviledge to be a dog friendly hotel and having pet friendly rooms, as you mentioned in your comment "Most importantly the hotel had great open space to walk the dogs. We would recommend this hotel, with or without dogs. ". Thank you for recommending our hotel to others!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Respectfully,

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2011

A litte out of town, and don't let the exterior fool you. The rooms are great - super comfortable beds, the service is phenomenal from everyone, nice pool, jacuzzie and one of the best fitness rooms I have seen in a hotel! Add to that a great view and peaceful atmosphere. Even the food was great - room service in less than 15 minutes! There were two weddings the weekend we were there and we didn't hear a thing once we closed the door to our room. I travel for work a lot as well - it doesn't get much better than this! Big thank yous to all the staff at the hotel who made our stay both fun and relaxing!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back have a great view of the NorWesters. Really nice!
Dear LovetoRun123,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review on TripAdvisor, we sincerely appreciate your feedback!

It gives me a great satisfaction to read your review... it doesn't get much better than this! Big thank you to all the staff at the hotel who made our stay both fun and relaxing!
Best Western's mission is to Lead the Industry in Superior Customer Care and every Best Western is there to embrace it, that is the benefit of dealing with People Who Care.

I know that the last time you stayed with us was back in September 2011 and had a great experience with us. You may be interested to know that since your last visit our hotel has been 'I CARE II' certified, also received a Best Western Housekeeping Award in 2012, became a PLUS hotel, and received the 2012 Service Excellence TripAdvisor Award.

We just recently opened our new Cliffhanger Restaurant & Bar which offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all the different appetites!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Thunder Bay.

Best Regards,

Saint Paul Park, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed for three days and nights and had a very relaxing time. Plenty to do in Thunder Bay. Amethyst Mine, Kakabeka Falls, Suspension Bridge, Mt. McKay Overlook. Restaurant and pool great.

Room Tip: request back of hotel for view of Mt. McKay
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear merryhunter4, a TripAdvisor Senior Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor. Next time you plan another trip be sure to contact us.

We look forward to seeing you again!