“Not bad, not great.” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Red Lake, Canada
“Not bad, not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

While the room was rather comfortable and the staff seemed to be quite accommodating, our recent stay was not great. It started with my bathroom being anything but clean upon our arrival. Hair and soap scum were found in and around the tub. The heater in the room was really dated and we had to endure a really loud fan to keep warm at night.
The prices in the restaurant were very affordable and the food was decent, but it seemed that the waitresses just couldn't get our meals right. They often forgot an item or drink at each meal and they had a lot of difficulty with billing.

Lastly, I found a cigarette butt just under my bed, we don't smoke and had stayed in the room for 4 nights!! YUCK!

Overall, we stayed at this hotel due to its proximity to the arena, but we were slightly disappointed with the over all stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
emartineznw, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable comments. I am very sorry to read that your recent stay was not great but we take our customer’s feedback seriously as that is how we manage to improve our services.
Just recently our Housekeeping Department won the Housekeeping Excellence Award for recognition of Outstanding Commitment to Housekeeping Excellence, also our hotel received the I Care II Certification for the ongoing commitment to the Best Western vision of Leading the Industry in Superior Customer Care. Although we strive for excellence, it is apparent that this experience fell through the crack, please note that this is not our standard and we will share this with our hard working staff to continue striving for the excellence for every customer.

As part of our ongoing renovations to our property the AC/Heating unit is scheduled for replacement that we have expedite thanks to your feedback so any new guest using this guest room can relax and enjoy a nice & warm peaceful sleep away from home.

We see that you group has booked for next year so we have mailed you a complimentary Best Western Travel Card towards your next stay.

Thanks again for your feedback as it is the number 1 reason how we continue to improve our services.

Best Regards,

Best Western PLUS Nor'Wester Hotel & Conference Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I stayed here in June, 2011 for a few days for my father's funeral. We also held the reception at the hotel in one of the banquet rooms. The hotel is in a beautiful location just a short drive out of town. The room was nice and modern with free wi-fi. The staff were absolutely fantastic. Extremely compassionate and helpful, and they made a rather difficult stay as enjoyable as it could be. The banquet facilities were wonderful. Food and drink were excellent, and setting is beautiful with outdoor access from banquet room. Very impressed and have recommended this hotel to many people travelling to Thunder Bay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Cathy P
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Cathy P, TripAdvisor Senior Reviewer,

It has been about a year since your last visit to our property, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on TripAdvisor.

If you make any plans to come back to Thunder Bay, please contact me directly as I would like to personally take care of assisting you with your reservation.

Thanks again for recommending our hotel to others!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Exceptionally helpful staff and a fantastic suite that was quiet, immaculately clean, private, and had a beautiful bathroom made a difficult business trip a wonderful experience. Had a very comfortable rest, used the gym and took a run on the road leading to the ski hill. Only ate breakfast there but the restaurant service was great and my eggs were perfectly cooked :-)

Room Tip: Ask for the suite on the second floor at the end (Cliffview Suite I think?)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SkyboxTO
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review following your recent stay with us. Your feedback gives us an excellent opportunity to see our products and services through the eyes of our guests. We are happy to hear that we managed to turn your difficult business trip into a wonderful experience!

The Suite you stayed in is the Cliffhanger Spa Suite and following your comment "immaculately Clean" just recently, our Housekeeping Department won the Housekeeping Excellence Award and primarily due to the dedication and hard work of our staff to lead the industry in superior custormer care.

Again, we are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back "home" again soon!

Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Outstanding health club, pool, whirlpool and saunas. Clean rooms, renovated recently. Very poor cellular service with Telus and possibly other cell providers. WiFi not quite up to speed in some parts of the hotel but not bad.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Datakeeper
emartineznw, Business Development Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Your feedback gives us an excellent opportunity to see our products and services through the eyes of our guests.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed our Health & Fitness Centre and your overall stay with us.
Our apologies for not exceeding your expectations on the WiFi, it is feedback from our guests that enables us to continuously strive to deliver the service and experience that our Best Western guests know and love. Following your feedback, we have done the necessary upgrades to our WiFi equipment.

We look forward to welcoming you back "home" again soon!

Best Regards,

Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

My review is a copy of the e-mail that I sent to Roberta the General Manager of this property.

Would I stay here again---Definitely!!!

Enjoy........

Hi Roberta:
My email is not too timely as I stayed at your fine hotel on November 7th 2011. However it is still very sincere and I do also need to post this on Trip Advisor.
This part may not sound like a compliment but it is.
I travel frequently, about 80% to 85% of the year. Usually 2 to 3 days per week.
Anyway I had stayed in Thunder Bay in 2010. When I had my recent visit our company travel agent put me at your hotel.
I thought they were going to put me where I had previously stayed and was disappointed when I found out that I wasn’t. That was when I picked up my rental car.
Well to say the least I was pleasantly surprised by your hotel.
The friendliness; the service; the fitness center and even the free breakfast sandwich were more than I expected.
To top it off the bed!!!! The bed, and the night’s sleep, was one of the best I can ever remember having.
I came home and told my wife about the whole experience and also told her we need to get a mattress like your facility has.
I inquired about the mattress when I checked out and you were out of town at a conference but the smiling help at the front desk said if I wrote you that you’d be willing to share the mattress info.
If you have a minute or two that would be wonderful if you could share the mattress info. Do you know if there is a particular retailer that may sell them.
Thanks for your attention.
Also please pass along my compliments to all your staff for helping making traveling a joy for us road warriors and making us feel right at home. I really appreciate it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Gumba56ks TripAdvisor Contributor,

Thank you so much for your great review posted on TripAdvisor following your stay with us in November 7th 2011. I am happy to read your comments where we exceeded your expectation... The friendliness; the service; the fitness centre...To top it off the bed!!!! The bed, and the night's sleep, was one of the best I can ever remember having.

I know that our General Manager has been in contact with you to provide you the information requested, but should you think on anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.

We look forward to welcoming you back and your home away from home!

Thank you again for positive feedback!

Courtenay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

clean room, good bed, Okay location, if your highway traveling...arrived to late for exercise, but looked great.

Room Tip: all rooms looked okay from what I say....
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
emartineznw, Business Development Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear happy181789, a TripAdvisor Senior Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review on TripAdvisor. It is comments like this that continue to make our hotel successful.

We look forward to see you again here at the Best Western PLUS Nor'Wester Hotel and Conference Centre.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

The room was clean, the property had a nice pool and spa. The staff was polite and helpful, especially the gentleman at the front desk in the morning who was able to direct us to a store to buy a warmer jacket. We stayed on Labor Day and found that most of the local restaurants were closed. Therefore we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. To our surprise, the food was very good, especial the fettucine alfredo (breakfast was also good), service was excellent. We were traveling with our two large dogs and the hotel was very welcoming. Our room had direct outside entrance which made walking the dogs easy. Most importantly the hotel had great open space to walk the dogs.

We would recommend this hotel, with or without dogs.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Jes22 TripAdvisor Senior Contributor,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It is a priviledge to be a dog friendly hotel and having pet friendly rooms, as you mentioned in your comment "Most importantly the hotel had great open space to walk the dogs. We would recommend this hotel, with or without dogs. ". Thank you for recommending our hotel to others!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Respectfully,