“Light Dessert”

Light Cafe
Ranked #2,976 of 9,690 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Description: Light Café is a lifestyle-driven café offering a great selection of gourmet café food with a contemporary twist.
Reviewed September 13, 2017

I have cravings for dessert that is not too sweet, but subtle. We ordered the charcoal black sesame waffle with ice cream,and it was exactly what we were looking for: fluffy and light waffles with a bit of sweetness, the sesame syrup was not too sweet but added a little more sweetness to the overall taste.
Having a side of ice cream was just perfect.
If you want to find a place that satisfies your sweet cravings but not overloaded with sugar, you will find enough items on the menu to satisfy your needs.
We will look to other items on the menu next time we visit.

Reviewed June 26, 2017

I had heard that reservations were recommended here so I made a booking for us four for 6 p.m. When we walked in that night, there were indeed a lot of people there already and I’m glad that we had a table available for us right away.

After we placed our orders, the items came out in a staggered fashion. For example, my dessert came out first, followed by one quickly. However, the next two desserts took a while even though another friend had ordered the same thing as me. D was the most disappointed because hers was last to arrive and by then, we could have been halfway done our desserts already. Perhaps Light Cafe can work on timing to bring out all the desserts out at the same time knowing that we were ordering separately and not sharing desserts?

I ordered the Charcoal Black Sesame Waffle. It came with a scoop of black sesame and vanilla ice cream in a small dish. The highlight of this dish is that all of the waffles are shaped like hearts. There was also a mini pitcher of black sesame sauce to drizzle over the waffles. There was a piece of dragon fruit and one blackberry on some whipped cream too.

I really enjoyed the black sesame ice cream! It was really flavourful. However, for L’s portion, it had started to melt really quickly, which was a disappointing part because she detests melted ice cream.

I thought that the waffles were pretty good; they were not too mushy or hard and were easy to eat through with the ice cream and black sesame sauce. It was a lot for one person though and I even gave one waffle heart to my friend.

I tried the Strawberry Mille-Feuille that C got and it was quite good! It looked like a pastry tube with cream and strawberries on top, a scoop of strawberry ice cream, and a pipette of strawberry sauce. The pastry was really flaky.

D got the Choco-Banana Mille-Feuille. This was also a pastry tube with chocolate sauce, bananas, chocolate, and a pipette with chocolate sauce instead to drizzle on top of the dessert. It was very rich.

Overall, I’m really glad that I got to try Light Café finally. All things considered, I thought that it was a really cute café, definitely fit for instagramming due to its aesthetically pleasing creations and modern stylish environment.

Also, I think that if Light Café wants more business, perhaps they should provide credit and debit payment options too instead of just cash only. (They have an ATM on site for which service charge is $3.)

Reviewed March 8, 2017 via mobile

Came here for dinner with a few friends after a long trip.
First time at this cafe and I absolutely love it!
The foods are amazing! We ordered so much and cleaned it all up.. leaving no space for desserts unfortunately.
Will be going there for their waffles next!

Their services are very fast and their staffs are friendly. Kept refilling my water for me too! (And I drink a lot!) love how patient they were.

Had to make reservations. There's always so many people.

We had a few of their mini pizzas, lobster bisque, baked potato and a soup.

Their prices are considered really good for the very delicious food! Each main comes with a salad and a side of fruits.

Remember, cash only!!!

Reviewed August 31, 2016

I like very much Baldwin St, there are several good restaurants, Keuko gelato and the Cubeshop store where I always find something interesting to buy. The LightCafe is a very simple and cool place. The service is attentive. We went for dinner, I have the combo soup of the day, salad house with sesame dressing and garlic bread for $8.50 and my husband chose the soup and a truffle croissant. Everything was very good and very nice served.

1  Thank BlueBsAs
Reviewed August 8, 2016 via mobile

love this place!! really nice!! nice food nice atmosphere! u should def. try the cotton candy coffee!! everything looks so cute and pretty and the food is so yummy!

1  Thank naz J