All reviews orchid room bed and breakfast basement apartment ceiling fan shared bathroom b bs a great place to stay breakfast was excellent eaton centre each morning close to downtown floor room enjoyed my stay top floor comfortable beds yogurt miko
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The house has a nice worn-in feel, with clean and comfortable bedrooms. The central air-conditioning was a welcome relief from the July heat. The kitchen is large and well-equipped, and also very clean. The other guests were great, helpful and respectful. Ergin (the proprietor), was around when needed, and was willing to help with all the questions I had. The coffee machine in the kitchen makes an amazing brew. Free WiFi worked well, and there was a public computer downstairs. Also a piano, movie, and book library.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Begonia and Mimosa. The Begonia is a bit nicer, and adjacent to the bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
30  Thank TravelSmart17
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I found the inn to be very comfortable, clean, convenient and safe. The room size was fine - not spacious, but plenty of room for a couple (tho I was solo so I had lots of room). Bed was very comfortable. Room very clean; sheets and towels very nice. Sizeable closet and dresser. Small color TV, clock/radio. I was in the Begonia room, and it is on the second floor at the head of the stairs next to the upstairs shared bath - but down a little alcove so private. People were very considerate of others so the bath noise didn't wake me, and if I was up it was not intrusive. The only startling noise was when someone tripped on the stairs - they are not carpeted and that was loud. I looked into two other rooms down the hall - they were a bit larger and also looked very nice and very clean. Bathroom was spotless, and I always had hot water and availability. Breakfast was plentiful; people cooked their own eggs if they wanted and it was self-serve, but everything fresh and easy. I was the first one down one morning and turned on the coffee pot. Other guests included couples, a family, some single women. Ergin, the host was friendly, helpful, and flexible.
If you don't bring your own laptop or netbook, there is a computer and it's generally available; also a phone to use for free local calls. No printer so you can't print a boarding pass. Umbrellas available to use in foyer.
The area is "in transition" and there's a soup kitchen a block away at a church so you will see homeless people. I felt perfectly save in the daytime, and others told me evenings were fine too but given my schedule I was typically back by 8:30 or 9:00. House is always locked with a keypad lock. Keys for your room. Lots of other victorian houses on the street being renovated. Garden was very small, and needed some cleaning out, but it was too hot to use. Strict non-smoking.
10 - 12 min walk to Eaton Center in downtown.
Only minor complaint - the AC was on full blast in my room and so it got a bit cold for me to sleep, but happy to have it since the weather was hot!
Definitely a great value for the price! I would recommend, and go back.
Note - main floor bath is right off the kitchen, but it really was not a problem.

Room Tip: Larger BR main floor everyone passes to kitchen
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
25  Thank JSWeyek
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Came here for 9 nights as I've moved to toronto for a year. Walk right at the end of the street and your downtown in literally 7.5minutes (yeah I timed it!)

Room is clean and tidy. Food and drink available great with a great breakfast.
Bathroom also immaculate.

The guy who Runs the place is the exact person you want for a B and B like this. He's friendly, helpful and an overall top guy! Helped me with giving some info on places I can get stuff for when I get my apartment etc. Also just great to have a chat with!

Would recommend a hundred times over, will definatley return if the need arises!

THANKYOU!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked amazing!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
21  Thank GeorgeEnzos
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I just returned from my third stay at the Toronto Garden Inn. I spent 6 nights and was just as happy as on my previous stays. The man running the bed and breakfast (Ergin) is very attentive to detail and is very dedicated to the job. Most impressive is that I reserved over the phone and when the email confirmation arrived, there was a price difference based on a miss-communication based on language or phone quality, whatever. The innkeeper just honoured the deal that I had expected and stuck with the lower nightly rate, even adding 10% savings for staying several nights. Even though it is not a hotel, the innkeeper tidies up your room every day and makes the bed, also bringing fresh towels daily. There are various teas and coffee to relax after a day on the go and the breakfast is the nicest I have ever seen in all the bed and breakfasts I use: fresh kiwi, mango, bananas, oranges, apples,.....the fridge is full of soy beverage, low-fat and standard milks, orange and fruit juices, low-fat and standard creamer, fresh eggs, yogourts, etc . The kitchen is fully equipped and there are two nice supermarkets nearby. I shopped and made chicken cacciatore on Sunday night and found every item I needed to make the meal. Ergin made sure I knew there were umbrellas for the rainy week and is open and friendly, often downstairs chatting and helping guests. It is a short 15 min walk to nightlife of Church Street and Yonge Street and right on the Dundas Street tram line. Eaton Centre shopping is 10 min by foot and Yonge Street subway line right there too. There is a free computer in the sitting/community room for guests and wifi connection throughout the house. Also very impressive is that Ergin is always there when I check out and offers to drag my heavy luggage down the stairs and out to my truck! Thanks Ergin!!! :) :)

Room Tip: Magnolia- dbl bed and 2 windows to a quiet street
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
19  Thank williamd_us
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed here for 9 nights and had the most amazing time. It feels as if it is a home from home. The owner is lovely and goes out of his way to be helpful. Its a 10 min walk from Dundas Square and therefore all major attractions including the AGO are within walking distance. I would highly recommend this to my friends and family and if I return to Toronto I would definitely want to stay here again. The only one negative aspect I must confess is that the surrounding area is a little run down however this home is a sanctuary of sorts and as with anywhere in Toronto one never feels unsafe. The b&b is spotless and my bed was comfortable and the breakfast is superb and as a vegetarian it catered very well. So all in all a thumbs up! I am certain that if you choose to stay here you will have a most relaxed and enjoyable stay in Toronto.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo