“Graving Malaysian Food?” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Toronto
“Graving Malaysian Food?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

Toronto is lacking Malaysian restaurants, and although Laksa is not exclusively a Malaysian restaurant, it has a number of Malay dishes that makes this place worth visiting. The service is friendly, place is clean, and food is excellent!

I was in Malaysia (and my wife is Malaysian) last year, and crave the street foods. Although this is not the same, it's pretty good. Price is very decent too.

And if you are looking for the famous Penang Assam Laksa, you won't find it anywhere else in toronto but here! Hard to believe, but the Assam Laksa here is better than one of the places we tried in Penang of all places!

Try it, order the Malay dishes. I'm sure the Thai dishes are good too.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Blasphemy of Singaporean Food in Toronto”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

As a Singaporean, I was eager to try out Laksa, recently opened and boasting a hygienic interior and southeast asian specialties such as its namesake. I ordered tea with condensed milk [a childhood favorite] , deep fried fish with chilies and garlic, and pineapple rice.

It was a reconnaissance mission, and those dishes were essentially idiot proof and a gauge of authenticity. I was hoping to bring my husband there to savor the wonderful cuisine of my home country. However, I was TERRIBLY disappointed. I have never written a bad review, and I am usually content to give them the benefit of doubt, but this restaurant has besmirched the glorious cuisine of Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand and its sign should be changed to anything but.

Hell hath no fury like a Singaporean gourmand scorned. The fish was soggy and left a terrible frozen taste in my mouth, and the sauce uninspired; bland, starchy, devoid of any piquant chili and left a sour aftertaste. The pineapple rice also had me fuming on first sight. Though the ingredients were passably fresh and the shrimp crunchy, the cubed chicken was bland and unseasoned, and the rice lacked the beautiful yellow tinge characteristic of the original dish. It looked like the cook had left out the main ingredients of salt, turmeric and fish sauce, and made me wonder why they didn't hang their heads in utmost shame.

It already took every ounce of manners to settle the tab. If not for the saving grace of my tea, which came with a generous dollop of condensed milk, I would have walked out.

1 Thank SingaporeanMissus
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Decided to try the recently opened Laksa which states specialities as Malaysian Singapore and Thai and was sorely...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

Decided to try the recently opened Laksa which states specialities as Malaysian Singapore and Thai and was sorely disappointed. Food was not authentic and hot tea ordered resembles more of a pre-powdered mix. Felt cheated and felt compelled to rate this place. It would be acceptable to people who are not familiar with south east asian or malaysian/singapore cuisine. But my advise to those who have been - stay away!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Score: 6/20. I think this is the lowest score I've given yet. Non-authentic Malaysian / Singaporean food, bad drinks...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

Score: 6/20. I think this is the lowest score I've given yet. Non-authentic Malaysian / Singaporean food, bad drinks, unprofessional but polite service.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Must try the curry and penang laksa.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2008

Must try the curry and penang laksa.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook