“Romantic dinner”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Old Toronto
Cross street: University
Transit: Subway: Osgoode Station Street Car: Queen West Street Car
Description: Nota Bene restaurant is a sophisticated dining establishment created and run by famed Toronto Chef David Lee. Opened in August 2008, the restaurant has garnered much critical acclaim and has been featured on countless “best of” lists including Toronto Life, En Route Magazine, Maclean's and most recently, Canada’s 100 Best Restaurants.
Reviewed June 14, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had an anniversary dinner here. It was a special occasion, and we wanted a special celebration. We were not disappointed. The service was attentive, and the staff were very friendly. The restaurant is a large open space, so I wouldn't call it intimate, but I felt we had enough privacy and could dine without intrusion. I didn't find it too noisy (though others have said that).

I had the Octopus appetizer which was incredible. My wife started with the Ceviche, which was good, but she thought the octopus was better. We both had the Halibut as a main course, and it was excellent. We split a piece of cherry frangipani for desert between us.

My only beef was the $35 corkage fee. We brought a nice bottle of wine, but I thought that $35 was an expensive service charge.

Including tax and tip our total came to $300 for two. I will be less generous with the tip next time, and tell them that I consider the corkage fee a part of that. Other than that I thought it was fair value for a high end fancy place in downtown Toronto.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank SunSeaker01

Reviewed June 13, 2016

My wife and I ate at Noto Bene during our recent trip to Toronto. Our meals were very good and service was good, but this place was very noisy. I have to say the restaurant was very busy, but it seemed that all the hard surfaces reflected the noise and made things worse. At times it was impossible to hear the background music.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed May 25, 2016

Last week my husband, brother in law, son and myself enjoyed an excellent lunch at Nota Bene. The Nova Scotia Lobster salad was the best I had ever had, My BIL agreed. My husband ordered the Sea Bass and my son the Bunless burger. Both were "great". Even though the restaurant was busy, our waiter was attentive and was able to assist us with drinks and coffee. A wonderful restaurant! we will return for sure

Reviewed May 22, 2016

Went for a celebratory dinner and had a great time. The service is impeccable, starting from the hosts to the wait staff. Waiters are friendly and attentive, and frankly very professional. The food is perfectly done. The ceviche is the best I've had. The duck salad was a great combination of flavours. The flank steak was cooked perfect and the sea bass (which was substituted for the halibut that night) was a spot on dish. Date sticky pudding with a few glasses of port was the end to a really terrific experience. Really one of the best the city has to offer.

Reviewed May 15, 2016

Nota Bene is an excellent restaurant. It easily ranks up there with the best. We were a large group, but the service was impeccable.
The servers were always there when you needed them but never in the way. I'm not sure how they accomplished that trick. They also managed to serve every person at once. Again, hats off to the servers--they were excellent.

The kitchen is great, too. I had a scallop salad to start. The scallops had been broiled perfectly, the bed of greens was crisp, and the vinaigrette was perfect. I had a rabbit pasta concoction for my main course that was most delicious. And dessert was a light, not-too-sweet maple pecan ice cream and flour-less cake combo with a crunchy glaze that was fantastic. I mean really fantastic.