“not as well as we expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rex Hotel

The Rex Hotel
Ranked #10 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Barcelona, Spain
“not as well as we expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We spend 1 week in this hotel, the music was great... if you plan no sleep until 11:30pm. the room was pretty but it wasn't cleaned every day, neither the bed. We do not expect clean towels every day, but the bathroom cleaning yes, and it wasnt.

Room Tip: Second floor, not in main street.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

After a whole evening spent at the bar of this hotel, they added drinks to our bill that we didn't drink... The bill was at least doubled... At the end they didn't even listen to us... Do not go there!!We got ripped off here and there are plenty other nice hotels on this street. To have a drink you'll have a very nice time on other restaurant on this street!!

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Dimiko
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here for two weeks at the start of our year in Canada. On arrival we walked in through the bar which was a bit off-putting but there is a separate entrance for the hotel. We had two different rooms over our stay and both were fine. The air-con is effective, there was plenty of space and the rooms were clean. You can here the music from the bar at night; it's not invasive but it would help if you like live music. The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly, booking us taxis, tourist advice and even travel advice. The location is also a key factor with this hotel, you're on one of the trendiest streets with nice bars and restaurants, it took under 10 minutes to walk to the CN tower and you're in the middle for shopping, museums and easy access to the other areas that are worth seeing. This is a fun, friendly hotel in a great location for a great price.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are a bit bigger
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jonnyac
Chardon, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

The Rex is an alternative to the major hotels you find in downtown Toronto for sure. It is a small recently remodeled hotel above the premier Jazz club in Toronto. It fit our budget at 119/night (vs. 200+ for all other downtown hotels). The room was small and the furnishings were spare, but it was clean and quiet and the AC, shower and TV all worked fine. There was no coffee maker but a Starbucks was right downstairs. (They provided coffee and toast apparently down at the bar - but we got up too late!!!)

Check in was interesting because there was a line waiting to get into the club and at first we stood in the line with all of our bags, but I barged in straight to the bar and they got us squared away quickly!

The people there couldn't be nicer. They had maid service and the club itself was fantastic with a little outside area where you could eat and drink and still hear the music, but you didn't have to pay the cover charge.

Stayed during busy holiday weekend - Canada Day, July 1'st and 2'nd which was also the weekend of the Toronto Jazz Fest. We loved this little place. It was truly a find. The location couldn't have been better. We parked our car ($10/day) and left it there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edjChardon_OH
Chatham, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

When I booked a room two weeks in advance they promised me a 2 night special price, of course when I arrived, by myself, with nowhere else to go, they took advantage, which seems to be the common theme of downtown hotels in Toronto. They charged me over $100 more than promised on the phone and with no choice, I paid.

When I went up to my room they seemed as if they already hated me due to my Montreal Canadiens coat, they treated me poorly until I paid them. They told me that there would be a complimentary breakfast tomorrow morning, which I thought would be good since I overpaid for the room that was extremly small, it was about a 3rd of the size of my apartment bedroom which is quite small.

The tv was tiny, though HD, it was for some weird reason 2 thirds way up the wall near the roof, and it was un adjustable to to put down to a normal level (about 4 feet lower) which was har don the neck. The bed was clean, the bathroom was very clean with a very very nice designer style shower/sink.

However due to the tinyness of the room it was hard to move without hitting something. The location is great, right downtown...unfortunatley it's accross the street from some rather unsettling businesses (if you have kids, dont let them look out the window) like "the condom shack".

Anyway in the morning I went down for my 'complimentary' breakfast, it was the most delicious breakfast I'd ever had at a hotel before...with a catch. As I walked back up to my room they stopped me and yelled across the bar that I had better stop and pay my bill, treating me as if I were some type of dine and dash criminal, embaressing me infront of a few people in the restaurant.

I asked why they lied to me and they said that the guy yesterday was simply telling me there was breakfast served in the morning, not that it came with the room. Which is BS because I specifically remember him saying "show them your room key so they know you're staying here and they wont charge you.

Synopsis: the rooms are elegant and up too date, as is the kitchen, the rooms have a powerful heat/air system that is also modern day (which is rare in most hotels). The rooms are also surprisingly quiet and though the jazz music downstairs is loud and annoying it stops at 12am every night which I found respectful tot he customers. However the crazy confusion of prices and non-exhistant complimentary breakfast is too much for me to say the least, this place may be classy in appearence but when you get down to the cost it's simply this: you will overpay at least $200.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank commando69
Staines, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

I travelled to Toronto with work and spent my first night at the Sheraton, yes, the company paid for that night! For my 2nd and 3rd nights, I couldn't quite afford the Sheraton and as it was Diwali, Toronto was heaving! Luckily, I found the Rex! To be honest, I think I had the smallest single room in the world BUT it was warm, the bathroom was super clean and the shower felt delightful. Best of all, it had cable!
I checked in early evening on a Saturday night and there was a band in full swing. The atmosphere was lively and welcoming, the staff were efficient and friendly. The complimentary toast and coffee in the morning was very welcome, as was the friendly chat and advice on where to go and what to see for the day. Other reviews liken the atmosphere in the Rex as a "family atmosphere" I would have to agree.
All in all, I would definately recommend the Rex for a friendly, down to earth, reasaonable priced place to stay in Toronto. If you enjoy live music, and appreciate Jazz, definately go for the "Jazz Package" as that includes cover charges to watch the live music in the bar.
Also working in the Rexs favour, is the location. Conveniently located in the Downtown area, a short walk to the mall (some of which is underground!) China Town and much, much more!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank happy-go-lucky-chick
Concord, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

Rooms are pretty bare bones, but clean and functional. The location is superb, lots of street life and energy.
The staff was super friendly and helpful, almost sort of a family vibe.
We happened to visit on a weekend, and on early aft. arrival walked into a packed room, Dixieland jazz band in full swing. Checked in at the bar. Very festive and colorful.
Good food in the restaurant too.
You can tell they are really trying and that counts for a lot.

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business