“"can't beat price and location should be ranked #1"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Victoria

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #39 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Chicago, Illinois
“"can't beat price and location should be ranked #1"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I fell in love with Toronto and Hotel Victoria! The location is excellent, and affordable. I'm on a budget and was able to take public transportation from the airport to the hotel for $2.60 which is around the corner from King subway station. The location is walking distance, close to CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame, Eaton Centre, St. Lawerence Market, and Rogers Center. When I arrived at Hotel Victoria, I was greeted by a friendly, approahable and helpful staff at the front desk. The room had hard wood floors, the furnature was sleek and modern with a black/white decor. There was a flat screen TV mounted on the wall and free WIFI. The bed was comfortable, and the shower had excellent water pressure. They even provided free bottles of water daily in your room. Nice touch! There was no fitness room in the hotel however did provide a discount of $15 for GoodLife Fitness a few steps away.

My home away from home in Toronto!

P.S. I meet one of the owners on the elevator and he seemed genuinely concerned about how I enjoyed my stay there. I really appreciate that. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Robert S
Steven J, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Good Day Robert S

It is great to read that you fell in love with our hotel. Our location is perfect while visiting Toronto. I thrilled that our staff greeted you in their usual friendly an approachable manner! It is wonderful when I read a guest was pleased with all aspect of their stay. Our Owner, like all of our staff are %150 genuinely interested in every guests experience here at the Hotel Victoria. We most certainty are looking forward to your next visit. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Victoria for 7 nights while at a conference at the Sheraton Centre in Toronto. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was in a perfect situation for exploring the attractions of Yonge Street and the harbourfront, with a short walk to the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre. The room was recently refurbished and finished to a good standard, although I wasn't too keen on the frosted glass panel on the bathroom door once my partner joined me after the conference ended! The bathroom was very compact, but they had made good use of the space. It was also kept very clean for the entire stay. My one real complaint was the fact that there is only one, very slow, very rickety lift which, when staying on the 8th floor, is quite frustrating. There were a couple of occasions when I was worried I was going to be stuck in it! However, I would recommend this hotel for both business and leisure travellers, although I might ask for a room on a lower floor so that you could use the stairs!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a lower floor to avoid the lift!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi Missus2009

First and foremost, thank you for reviewing the Hotel Victoria, seeing hoe our guests see us is essential to continued success. Our lift is on our list of priorities for 2012. We are just about to complete the guest corridor refurbishment. I am so glad that you found our staff very friendly and helpful, location ideal with a very clean room throughout your stay. On your next visit, inquire about an upgrade, the bathrooms are more spacious! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!!
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

My husband and I just finished up a 5 night stay at Hotel Victoria where we had an excellent experience. We stayed in a King Deluxe room which was great size! Nicely decorated and very well kept. This hotel just underwent a renovation in 2011 and the attention to detail was superb. However, they apparently had not yet updated the hallways because while we were there, they started ripping down the wallpaper and spackling in the hallways. They did this during the day though, so it was not a disturbance to us at all. Great location! 10 min walk to the Metro Toronto Convention Center, CN Tower, Rogers Center. 5 min walk to St. Lawrence market and easy access to both the subway and trolley system. Would definitely recommend a stay here and will plan to visit again if we ever make it back to Toronto!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the King Upgrade...much bigger size than the basic queen room with other additiona...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Hi Erin M

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer a review of Hotel Victoria. We are so pleased to read that the renovations are still a big hit a a year after completion. We will be finished redoing the wall vinyl in the corridors by tomorrow and once that is completed new carpet is going to be installed. So pleased that our location was ideal for your needs, thank you for the recommendation and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We booked this hotel for a one night stopover after getting off the trans Canadian train, based on price and proximity to the Grand Union Station. To be honest we were just looking for abed for the night and so expected little
This place exceeded our expectations in every way. The rooms are not huge but thats to be expected in a city center location. They were beautifully decorated, modern and spotlessly clean. The room had everything we could ask for. I admit we had problems understanding the TV system but thats probably just my age!
Position is great and central for downtown Malls and the CN tower just ten minutes walk.
We arrived early (10 am) but or room was ready and we could check in and freshen up. The reception staff were all attentive and helpful and the attached "over easy" restaurant serves the best breakfast selection.
All in all a great choice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John F
Steven J, General Manager at Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear kurrif

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience her at the Hotel Victoria. It is wonderful to read that we have exceeded your expectations. I shall pass along your thoughts to our reception staff. We thank you for including the Hotel Victoria in you travel plans, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
kanata
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night on May 18, 2012 and was very pleased with the hotel and staff (Peter at front desk was very helpful while booking). The location was fantastic almost around the corner from Union Station and when I arrived early the hotel staff found an available room for me so I did not have to return later and was able to relax before heading out for a busy day. Room was clean and quiet, I love NOT having the old style bed spreads but the nice clean sheets that cover a duvet
. I have never written a hotel review before but I was so pleased with the hotel and location that I felt it necessary to share this experience with others as I find I always look at reviews before booking and appreciate the feed back. I hope to stay again at this hotel, it will be my first choice when booking again in downtown Toronto. Debbie H

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank debbie h
Hi Debbie H

Thank you for your glowing review, it is great to see our staff's service being highlighted! I shall pass your sentiments onto Peter. The "white" linens are quite sharp, they really stand out when you walk into our rooms. I would like to thank you for choosing the Hotel Victoria while in Toronto, we most certainly look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

I would happily recommend the Hotel Victoria to anyone in Toronto on business or pleasure. I was staying in Toronto for a conference and the Hotel provided a haven away from my busy days and the heat.

Room was a great size. Tv was fab and made use if the free Netflix. Wifi was great and worked when using Skype on my phone and laptop.

Only crit is the lift was very slow! I was being lazy though and could've used the stairs!

Great diner next door called over easy

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Holt1985
HI Holt1985

Thank you for including the Hotel Victoria in your travel plans. It is great to read reviews like yours, we take such pride in our hotel and when guests comment about that it makes us more proud. We have had our "lift" service contractors look at why the lift is slow, hopefully we can have a solution on your next stay! Will pass along your comments to the Restaurant as well
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night at a very reasonable rate. The building is quite old and the room was small but extremely comfortable and very well decorated! Nice, clean bathroom and great shower. My room had a "view" of an alleyway, but who would care about that with such a comfy bed and so many free Netflix shows/movies on an awesome Apple TV!!!

Two things though: 1) no room service so that could kind of suck if you were looking to feel pampered. 2) the drape kept on flapping open with the air coming from just below it - so the drapes could not really close

If I needed somewhere to stay for a couple days, I'd stay here again no probs.

Hi Don_Lockwood888

So happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I see you mentioned your room was small, on your next visit ask us about an upgrade to a bigger room. I will arrange for maintenance to look into the drape issue. Our beds are very comfortable and loved by most of our guests. Netflix is a great feature, so glad you made use of it. Looking forward to your next visit!!