Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Doubletree.com
US$421
US$358
  • Restaurant
The Omni King Edward Hotel(Toronto)
US$325
US$485
US$412
InterContinental
2,096 results
All reviewsrogers centreblue jaysstadium view roomtrain tracksbaseball fieldwatch the gamecn towerbaseball fanarriba restaurantjays gameripley's aquariumunion stationself parkingentertainment districthotel roomking bedan upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2012

After an AWFUL stay at the Holiday Inn Markham, we checked out early from there and via Hotwire, booked a "4 Star Stay" in the entertainment district. It was our first time booking via hotwire, and took a gamble on the room, but because we so urgently needed to get out of Markham, we took what we could get.

We received the room rate at 90$ (hotwire price) but ended up going a day early. The hotel booking agent gave us the CAA auto club rate (118$) and offered us an upgrade for our room. Which really meant little to us, we just asked that we have a king sized bed.

When we arrived the room wasn't ready (I arrived for check in at noon, and the room was to be ready for 1pm), so I waited patiently in the nice comfortable lobby. One of the desk staff came over to me, brought me a coffee and some fruit from the restaurant and offered me a paper. Within 15 mins of that, they came to let me know that the room was still not ready, but that they had put a rush on it (still 30 mins before I was supposed to have checked in). They were clearly making an effort for me to get into my room.

When I arrived in my room, we had been upgraded to a king sized suite, and the room was very clean and nice. They had moved us to a "higher" floor (8th) and we had a city view. The room was brand new, the bed was full of pillows (8 in total) and had a down duvet. A few moments later the front end staff called up to my room to make sure that it suited our needs. It did. She then let me know that we had a 58$ credit for room service or for the restaurant to use at our discretion.

The stay was good. We had a great sleep, even though our room was above some train tracks, the room was quiet. The staff were all very nice and accommodating. Cleaning services were fantastic, our room was always clean - and I mean CLEAN - there was no dust or bits of anything left on the floor or on the tv consoles.

The pool was nice, gym was excellent and the hot tub was a treat.

The location is a bit of a walk, but in good weather, you have only 5-10 mins to get to Queen St. East and plenty of restaurants.

We used our voucher for the breakfast buffet, which was very good. (Bacon, eggs, sausage, waffles, pancakes, omlette station, tons of fresh fruit and baking, cereal, bagels, fresh coffee and juices) and left the remainder as a hefty tip for our waiter who was very nice.

I really enjoyed this hotel. We had ZERO issues and I'm a picky traveller. For the price I paid (50$ less than the hell hole we stayed at at the Holiday Inn), we'd def. stay there again. We took the opportunity to check out the CN tower and in the summer, it would fun to be able to be so close to a Jay's game.

All in all, we'd def. stay here again.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

As it was my first visit to Toronto, tagging along with my husband on weekend business and leaving the kids behind, I intended to cram a lot of sightseeing/relaxation into a short span of time. Mission accomplished with the help of fabulous staff at every turn. Literally, I did not find one person who did not stop what they were doing try and make my stay more pleasant (and I’m NOT a bikini model).

I didn't choose this hotel. I probably would have overlooked it doing my own research, since I always opt to be right smack in the middle of a funky and walkable neighborhood and I favor either a really modern or really "authentic" feel, but I liked this place. And not because it ‘s perfect. It isn't. Yes, the hallways are a bit odd and some rooms seemed quite far from the elevator at first. The heat did not work in the first room we were shown. It happens. But here’s what doesn’t always happen: someone was at our room within 5 minutes investigating, and we were given a selection of rooms to choose from when the problem could not be immediately remedied. We ended up in room 403, a spacious bi-level room with a giant picture window. And when the Wi-Fi in the lounge was interrupted, someone was immediately on the phone with the engineer trying to get to the bottom of it. In the interim, I was directed to the Club Lounge and given another passcode. It’s also the first time I received a handwritten “thank you” note for leaving a tip for housekeeping ($5).

The Renaissance also turned out to be a nice walk (15-20 min.) from some amazing restaurants. Buca (Northern Italian) and Blowfish (PanAsian), both on King Street W. thoroughly pampered and delighted my taste buds. And R2 cafe on Queen Street W. is a great place to take a break from some fun shopping and enjoy a beautifully made cappuccino (they made perfect hearts out of steamed milk for Valentine's Day) and a pulled pork sandwich fit for a Foodie. The concierge also directed me to Kensington Market, which was a nice little bohemian oasis to visit for a couple of hours.

The hotel is also right next to the CN Tower and attached to Rogers Stadium, which I imagine is quite fun during baseball season. A wall of windows in the restaurant/lounge look right into the stadium and there are about 70 rooms that offer similar views, allowing guests to watch games and events right from their rooms. However, if there are no events or events that don't permit viewing, make sure there are additional windows in those rooms before you stay in one. During my stay, part of the stadium was tarped off for a Harlem Globetrotter event, making the view from the lounge a bit dark.

Didn’t check out the pool or the gym, but the restaurant’s buffet breakfast was pretty good (a little pricey) as was the poutine (French fries, gravy, cheese curds). Again, friendly, attentive service.

I plan to come back, with the kids next time. Go Blue Jays!

Room Tip: Some rooms have older thermostats. We had a bit of difficulty regulating room temp.
2  Thank Ann R
RenaissanceTO, Director of Rooms at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear Ann R,
Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay and were able to explore some of the local gems. More than anything, I appreciate your kind words about our service and will share them with the team. We take great pride in our service and recognize that we have an exceptional team and working environment. Nevertheless, it is always nice to hear from our guests.
We hope to see you again soon.
Regards,
Andrea Copeland

Reviewed 12 February 2012

The hotel is pretty outdated. For a 4 star hotel it really reminds me of a Howard Johnson, but a lot cleaner perhaps. We got the room through hotwire, which in our past experience when we picked a 4 star hotel, they land us a room at the Intercontinental. Instead this time, we got a room at the Renaissance that faces the stadium but there's no show going on. O well, tough luck, but still a pretty good buy perhaps. Throughout the afternoon and into the evening, you can hear noises going around in the stadium. The noise wasn't that bothersome - although you can hear it - and after leaving the hotel around 8:30 pm for dinner and coming back at 11 pm, the noise at the stadium is over. However, people walking around the hallways were horrendously insensitive to the guests who are resting! Every few hours we're awakened by groups talking in the hallway as they're walking towards their rooms, and then there's other guests opening their doors shouting and swearing at them to be quiet (I'd be irritated about the swearing if I have a child with me). There's a sign right at the elevator reminding people to be quiet but I guess not many people read that sign.

The room is relatively spacious. There's a bathroom and bedroom section with it's own TV, and then you can go upstairs to the study/lounging section with another TV, which faces the stadium. It would be nice to have that room to watch a show/game. It's relatively clean, but you can see that it's dated as there's some wear and tear in the wallpaper, rusting around the mirror, as well as a tiny graffiti in the bathroom that the staff ignored. But for the price we paid for it, I guess I couldn't complain too much as we got it through hotwire so it's relatively inexpensive. They provide Aveda products as your shower products, so that was very very nice. There's also a Keurig at the "bar", which is kinda nice, but they gave you only 2 k cups....I've been in other hotels that provide you with a huge bunch of selection. It also would've been nice if they just gave us one small bottle of water that's complementary, which I think is pretty standard in other 4 star hotels, but no luck here.

Overall an okay stay, but I won't really come again unless it's for an amazing price and there's no other $ comparable hotels available. I would probably consider it if there's an amazing game going on though.

Overall,

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
RenaissanceTO, Director of Rooms at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear PrincessPrima,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations.
Our stadium rooms are unique and fabulous for sure during events. On days when there are no events being hosted in Rogers Centre, they are featured at the same price as a city view room. As they are on the interior of the building, these rooms are popular for those preferring quiet and less light. I prefer to have the natural light that a city view offers. In any case, there is always an option for our guests. With knowledge of these preferences at check in, our team is better able to meet your needs.
Unfortunately, we cannot control the noise of all of our guests while they travel in the hallways. We have put up signage as a deterrent and a reminder to our guests that there are others on the guest floors around them. We always respond to any noise concerns as they are brought to our attention and we have security onsite to look out for potential noise at all times in the night.
Again, thank you for your feedback. It is very much appreciated. I do hope that you will re-consider and give us another opportunity to show you that we are capable of exceeding your expectations.
Regards,
Andrea Copeland

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Here is the thing with this particular hotel. It was overall a fantastic stay for me. However there are some things worth mentioning.

To start off with the negative, the hotel is part of the Skydome stadium, which sounds really cool in theory. In reality, it creates some issues. Since the building is stadium first, the hotel rooms are mostly very oddly configured. The hall ways are extremely long, with two sets of elevator on one side of the hall. If you have difficulties walking or simply don't want to, be sure to request a room closer to the elevator. All the stadium facing rooms are two stories suites, be sure to ask if the skydome is open during your stay, because if it is not, then you are just gonna feel like it's night time all the time. Although the location has gone through renovations recently, it is still a pretty old hotel. There are many things that give it away, dated wall paper, bathroom decor, room doors just to name a few. But that doesn't take away from the comfort level. The hotel does come with a very extensive, probably the best I've ever seen, gym facility. The only problem is getting there. One has to go through the lobby, take another elevator ride to the lower convention level, walk through the hallway. Feels like an exercise just to get there. Parking is a bit odd, you have to drive to the other side of the sky dome to get in. The location of the hotel is okay, although it is not right on the subway line, you are next door to CN tower and steps from the lake.

Some definite positive points, the hotel staffs were very friendly. We had breakfast at the hotel, and it was delicious! The rooms are very much sound proof, we had a very good night sleep.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. However, do keep in mind you are not getting the full renaissance experience. Having said that, if it is on a good deal, I would stay here any days.

2  Thank McBerr
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I have booked this hotel for 5 years in a row, for Monster Jam weekend. We gave this as a gift to our 2 young grandsons then they were 5 and 4, from different families and had tickets to see Monster Jam and we got them a cityview room each to go with it, so thier parents didn't have to drive them home late at night since they live 90 mins away. It went over so well parents and kids had so much fun that they asked again to go the next year, so we talked to the parents and gave them a stadium view room as a family gift, since one of the families had a new baby our 3rd grandson. The tradition continued we added the our son and his family, to our 2 daughters and thier families, so the total attending this year in 3 rooms (son and family, daughter and family, daughter and family) was 13. Six adults and 5 grandsons and 2 grandaughters. This is as good a review as you will ever get, it started a tradition because of good quality service, wonderful treatment by the staff, some of who remember them year to year its been going on so long, great amenities, wonderful pool, amazing rooms and beds, with attention to details when travelling with kids. This year the reviews from all were the best year ever, with upgrades in thier rooms and the friendly family feeling they left with. From the valet parking to the help from the conceirge, front desk, porters, the convenience of the wonderful restaraunt, everyone was wonderful, everything was great according to the kids as well as the adults, the request is in already for a return trip next year as thier gift from us for christmas this year. Makes shopping a little easier for this set of grandparents! Thier smiles and rave reviews make it worth it. Some year we will have to join them to see what all the fuss is about. A special thanks to Andrea Copeland, Director of Rooms who is wonderful if you need help booking multiple rooms with multiple needs for multiple families. They will be returning, with the help of Renaissance Toronto Downtown we have started and continued a Christmas Family Tradition, and you can't get better then that.

Room Tip: If you want a refrigerator and microwave, book them early, they do there best to accomodate everyone. Be sure to check out your reservation on line and customize that way you get everything you want when you get there, like feather free rooms, extra sleeping, bedding etc.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family