“Decent Value and Price in Downtown Toronto”

Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Ranked #30 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed for one night with a good friend who I was showing around Toronto. The location is very good as I knew my friend would want to see the CN Tower, and Rogers Centre. My main reasons for choosing this hotel are:

1) I got a pretty good rate. $139 on the internet for 2 double beds.
2) The hotel and Rogers Centre are located just off the Gardiner Expressway, so driving in is easy. No stop and go in busy downtown Toronto traffic should we have arrived at a bad time.
3) Parking would be easy, it's a stadium...
4) It's close to, as I mentioned the CN Tower and Rogers Centre, but also close to the restaurants on Front St and Union Station. It's a great 'jumping off' point.

We arrived early afternoon on a friday, our room was ready, and the valet took our car. The whole operation was seamless and we were in our room within 30 minutes. We also arrived about an hour before the 3pm check-in time.

We were given a 10th floor room with a city view. Upon inspection of the room it was easily determined that the room was not finished being made up. The shower curtain wasn't hung up, the towels weren't in place, the mirror was very spotty (like someone hadn't wiped it after spraying it with something, I'm not a picky guy). Also there was a big hair under the comforter, that was a little tough to ignore. One quick call to Front Desk informing them of the situation in which I nicely and with some humour explained my misgivings and what it is I would like to see happen (a new room on the same floor, if it could be accommodated), and I was back in the lobby exchanging room keys for a new room a few doors down and receiving apologies. The initial room was substandard, however the staff corrected the shortcoming quickly and did their best to respect my requests. I didn't think of the first room for the rest of our stay.

I must give a thumbs-up to the beds and bedding. I have two small children and I suffer the sleep deprivation that goes along with it. The bed and bedding was fantastic, and the combination of bed, bedding, and a few extra hours of childless sleep worked wonders for me.

We ordered up 6 beers (Stella Artois), come to a little under $50. Most people would complain but I've never been to a hotel that didn't charge like this for room service, particularly alcohol. I'm not saying it's good, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying...

Check out was easy, there were no errors on our bill, and the valet had our car brought around in under 5 minutes.

Good stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel

Reviewed 26 February 2012

This place has got something big going for it. The view over the Skydome playing field is a great novelty, even if there isn`t a ballgame on. There is a bar perfectly place to just sit and enjoy with a cold bottle of Canadian.

Everything else about the hotel is everything you would expect from a 4 star property in Toronto. Large rooms, comfy beds, polite staff and clean. It also is only a 10 minute walk from Union station as well as the many bars and eateries in that vicinity. I would imagine this would be a great place to stay for sports events to for obvious reasons. It is also 5 minutes stroll to the CN tower.

One negative is the proximity of the rail lines, which can get a bit loud during the rush hours, but the solution to this is to either ask for a high room, or upgrade to the rooms which lookout over the ball park.

Room Tip: If you can, upgrade to a ballpark view room for the fun of it
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2012

It's the hotel connected to the Rogers Centre, so it's fantastic for a Blue Jays game. I was there in the offseason but it's stiil very centrally located and within a 10' walk of the Air Canada Center and all the major downtown attractions.
Very friendly staff, nice rooms, definitely my choice were I to go back to Toronto anytime soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I booked a room at the Renaissance based on personal reviews from friends, and was NOT disappointed!
I was staying in the hotel with my nephews and was able to get a stadium view room which the boys loved. The woman who checked us in was wonderful - she made a point of letting the boys know she was putting them in a stadium-view room and made them feel really special. They didn't even want to go swimming the first night - just look out the window!
Everyone who we encountered during our stay were so genuine, warm and wonderful! The room was very clean and a lot larger than I would expect from a hotel in downtown Toronto. The location was great for our outings to the CN Tower (right beside the hotel) and the Hockey Hall of Fame (a little bit more of a walk, but still close), and the hotel conveniently stored our bags after we checked out so we could continue our touring.
My nephews are already asking when we'll be back!

Room Tip: If you're travelling with a sports fan - choose the stadium view!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I booked this hotel through Priceline and received a very nice rate for our Feb. (President's Day weekend) trip to Toronto. At first I was certain I would find the hotel to be outdated (based on online eviews) and in a downtown location that was more business than leisure. I was pleasantly surprised on both fronts. It might have been a tab bit outdated, but overall the service was really good, rooms clean, and location turned out to be a very convenient one for our weekend plans. We were within short walking distance of The Second City, CN Tower and theater, all of which we availed ourselves of. There's a great breakfast place, Cora's, down the block from the hotel. A great grocery store right across the street for buying quick bites, water, etc.. It's is also within walking distance of the harborfront and even old city, where you'll the distillery district and St. Lawrence market. Even though it is not an ultra-hip, trendy hotel, I found our stay to be perfectly fine and enjoyable. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the stadium.
Reviewed 19 February 2012

After an AWFUL stay at the Holiday Inn Markham, we checked out early from there and via Hotwire, booked a "4 Star Stay" in the entertainment district. It was our first time booking via hotwire, and took a gamble on the room, but because we so urgently needed to get out of Markham, we took what we could get.

We received the room rate at 90$ (hotwire price) but ended up going a day early. The hotel booking agent gave us the CAA auto club rate (118$) and offered us an upgrade for our room. Which really meant little to us, we just asked that we have a king sized bed.

When we arrived the room wasn't ready (I arrived for check in at noon, and the room was to be ready for 1pm), so I waited patiently in the nice comfortable lobby. One of the desk staff came over to me, brought me a coffee and some fruit from the restaurant and offered me a paper. Within 15 mins of that, they came to let me know that the room was still not ready, but that they had put a rush on it (still 30 mins before I was supposed to have checked in). They were clearly making an effort for me to get into my room.

When I arrived in my room, we had been upgraded to a king sized suite, and the room was very clean and nice. They had moved us to a "higher" floor (8th) and we had a city view. The room was brand new, the bed was full of pillows (8 in total) and had a down duvet. A few moments later the front end staff called up to my room to make sure that it suited our needs. It did. She then let me know that we had a 58$ credit for room service or for the restaurant to use at our discretion.

The stay was good. We had a great sleep, even though our room was above some train tracks, the room was quiet. The staff were all very nice and accommodating. Cleaning services were fantastic, our room was always clean - and I mean CLEAN - there was no dust or bits of anything left on the floor or on the tv consoles.

The pool was nice, gym was excellent and the hot tub was a treat.

The location is a bit of a walk, but in good weather, you have only 5-10 mins to get to Queen St. East and plenty of restaurants.

We used our voucher for the breakfast buffet, which was very good. (Bacon, eggs, sausage, waffles, pancakes, omlette station, tons of fresh fruit and baking, cereal, bagels, fresh coffee and juices) and left the remainder as a hefty tip for our waiter who was very nice.

I really enjoyed this hotel. We had ZERO issues and I'm a picky traveller. For the price I paid (50$ less than the hell hole we stayed at at the Holiday Inn), we'd def. stay there again. We took the opportunity to check out the CN tower and in the summer, it would fun to be able to be so close to a Jay's game.

All in all, we'd def. stay here again.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

As it was my first visit to Toronto, tagging along with my husband on weekend business and leaving the kids behind, I intended to cram a lot of sightseeing/relaxation into a short span of time. Mission accomplished with the help of fabulous staff at every turn. Literally, I did not find one person who did not stop what they were doing try and make my stay more pleasant (and I’m NOT a bikini model).

I didn't choose this hotel. I probably would have overlooked it doing my own research, since I always opt to be right smack in the middle of a funky and walkable neighborhood and I favor either a really modern or really "authentic" feel, but I liked this place. And not because it ‘s perfect. It isn't. Yes, the hallways are a bit odd and some rooms seemed quite far from the elevator at first. The heat did not work in the first room we were shown. It happens. But here’s what doesn’t always happen: someone was at our room within 5 minutes investigating, and we were given a selection of rooms to choose from when the problem could not be immediately remedied. We ended up in room 403, a spacious bi-level room with a giant picture window. And when the Wi-Fi in the lounge was interrupted, someone was immediately on the phone with the engineer trying to get to the bottom of it. In the interim, I was directed to the Club Lounge and given another passcode. It’s also the first time I received a handwritten “thank you” note for leaving a tip for housekeeping ($5).

The Renaissance also turned out to be a nice walk (15-20 min.) from some amazing restaurants. Buca (Northern Italian) and Blowfish (PanAsian), both on King Street W. thoroughly pampered and delighted my taste buds. And R2 cafe on Queen Street W. is a great place to take a break from some fun shopping and enjoy a beautifully made cappuccino (they made perfect hearts out of steamed milk for Valentine's Day) and a pulled pork sandwich fit for a Foodie. The concierge also directed me to Kensington Market, which was a nice little bohemian oasis to visit for a couple of hours.

The hotel is also right next to the CN Tower and attached to Rogers Stadium, which I imagine is quite fun during baseball season. A wall of windows in the restaurant/lounge look right into the stadium and there are about 70 rooms that offer similar views, allowing guests to watch games and events right from their rooms. However, if there are no events or events that don't permit viewing, make sure there are additional windows in those rooms before you stay in one. During my stay, part of the stadium was tarped off for a Harlem Globetrotter event, making the view from the lounge a bit dark.

Didn’t check out the pool or the gym, but the restaurant’s buffet breakfast was pretty good (a little pricey) as was the poutine (French fries, gravy, cheese curds). Again, friendly, attentive service.

I plan to come back, with the kids next time. Go Blue Jays!

Room Tip: Some rooms have older thermostats. We had a bit of difficulty regulating room temp.
2  Thank Ann R
RenaissanceTO, Director of Rooms at Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear Ann R,
Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay and were able to explore some of the local gems. More than anything, I appreciate your kind words about our service and will share them with the team. We take great pride in our service and recognize that we have an exceptional team and working environment. Nevertheless, it is always nice to hear from our guests.
We hope to see you again soon.
Regards,