“Reflections of my stay at Rennaissance Hotel”

Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel
Ranked #30 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The staff are verr courteous! I arrived late but the staff was willing to accommodate my request
for a drink. In the morning, I would not gstart the coffee machine and the staff was once again very understanding and ready to help.
The quality of cleanliness is excellent. I will recommend the recommend the Rennaissance Hotel to all my friends. Very good job. Keep it up.

Room Tip: I like the room overlooking the street because I can see what is going on in the distance.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kabahenda k
There are newer reviews for Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel

Reviewed 29 February 2012

We arrived late in the evening but we were very well received by staff, and we were able to get good food, though kitchen staff was supposed to close by 10 pm. The room was amazing: large, comfortable, clean, well lighted, and peaceful; We slept soundly, and woke up to a nice and hot pot of coffee. Indeed, we had a great weekend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend on February 25th for one night. We managed to get a deal because we booked early (109.00 for the night). We picked this location because of its proximity to the Metro Toronto convention centre, as we were attending the auto show. We asked to check in early (around 12:30, although check-in is usually 3pm) and the hotel was very accommodating. We had also requested a mini-fridge in our room and we asked that our room be on a higher floor. Both our requests were met without a fuss. The front-desk staff were very helpful and also allowed us to keep the car parked outside the hotel until we had brought everything upstairs.

The room was nice and very clean. The double sinks in the bathroom were a nice touch and, as requested, we had extra pillows on the bed and extra towels in the bathroom. I also very much appreciated the Aveda products. The room also came with a Keurig coffee machine with two cups of complimentary coffee (and sugar, creamer, sweetener). Our room did not include a "Privacy-do not disturb" sign, so I asked the front desk for one. They were all out, but within 5 minutes of returning to our room, someone came to the door with one for us.

My only criticisms are the following: First, the shower/tub combination needs to be updated. There was some very noticeable rust on the tiled wall inside the tub/shower, which made it appear old and cheap. The tub is small and the shower is very outdated, and it was hard to achieve that perfect temperature. I found the water to be either too hot or too cold.

Secondly, the menu at the restaurant was very expensive. We read it online first and it seems to be the same menu as their room service menu. I find $16 for pancakes to be a tad ridiculous...and $6 for Kellogg's cereal? I was disappointed that there was no free breakfast included in the price of our room. We ended up running to the local Sobeys and grabbing some breakfast items.

Our television's menu didn't work so we weren't able to take advantage of their video check-out. Not a big deal. Also, the hotel overlooks train tracks. Neither of us noticed the noise, but this may be an issue for some guests.

Oh, also! This really isn't a criticism, just a suggestion, but the hotel should update their website. The website said that our room would come with a couch, but there was only a chair and an ottoman. We didn't need the couch, but other guests may be upset to find there isn't one.

Accessing the parking is a bit of a hike but neither myself nor my boyfriend minded. The parking was underground, which was wonderful and there are elevators that take you from parking up to the hotel lobby so it wasn't a huge inconvenience. The front desk even included a little map with instructions on getting to the parking. I thought this was a very nice touch. Parking runs $20 for the night if you don't use their valet service. And, although we came several hours early, we were charged their standard parking rate.

The hallways are quite long so if you have mobility issues, request a room closer to the elevators.

Overall, our stay was lovely. The hotel is beautiful and the front desk staff were polite and accommodating.

Room Tip: -If you have any requests (early check-in, fridge, etc) call ahead and ask early.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha L
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my boyfriend after going to the Auto Show at the Convention Centre. Typically the Auto Show is at the Rogers Centre and the Convention Centre but I guess last year they condenced it all into the Convention Centre. The Convention Centre is still very close only about a 3-5 minute walk from the hotel. This is a perfect hotel if you are going to the Rogers Centre, Convention Centre, Air Canada Centre, or the CN Tower, all within walking distance. The hotel over all is very nice and clean. It exceeded my expectations as other reviewers had said it was outdated. The ONLY part I felt was a little outdated was the hallways to the rooms although the hotel has done a nice job with paint and window coverings to help make it look modern. Our room was on the 11th floor and although it was not a sutie it was probebley the biggest hotel room I have been in. The bathrooms are also very laege as well. It was very spacious and if you had a young child that needed a crib or you were bringing a crib there is a lot of room for that. We did use the pool and hot tub and both were very nice. There are change rooms there and towels are provided at the pool. The elevators are at one end of the halls so if you have mobility issues then do request a room closer to them. Parking is $20.00 for self parking and $30.00 for Valet, typical for parking in Toronto and it IS onsite underground in the Rogers Centre which was nice.
The ONLY negative thing of the entire stay was that the Train Station is just down the street so VIA Rail Trains and GO Trains go by about every 5-10 minutes as there are a number of tracks right in front of the hotel. This did not bother us much but we were on the 11th floor and had thought that it must be much louder on the lower floors. When the trains did go by the noise would only last about 5-10 seconds. The sound did not keep us up at all at night. Just more of an FYI.
I would reccomend this hotel to anyone and we would stay here again. We got a good deal on Expedia so that might be a way to go!

Room Tip: I would request a room on a higher floor to avoid some of the noise from the trains.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed for one night with a good friend who I was showing around Toronto. The location is very good as I knew my friend would want to see the CN Tower, and Rogers Centre. My main reasons for choosing this hotel are:

1) I got a pretty good rate. $139 on the internet for 2 double beds.
2) The hotel and Rogers Centre are located just off the Gardiner Expressway, so driving in is easy. No stop and go in busy downtown Toronto traffic should we have arrived at a bad time.
3) Parking would be easy, it's a stadium...
4) It's close to, as I mentioned the CN Tower and Rogers Centre, but also close to the restaurants on Front St and Union Station. It's a great 'jumping off' point.

We arrived early afternoon on a friday, our room was ready, and the valet took our car. The whole operation was seamless and we were in our room within 30 minutes. We also arrived about an hour before the 3pm check-in time.

We were given a 10th floor room with a city view. Upon inspection of the room it was easily determined that the room was not finished being made up. The shower curtain wasn't hung up, the towels weren't in place, the mirror was very spotty (like someone hadn't wiped it after spraying it with something, I'm not a picky guy). Also there was a big hair under the comforter, that was a little tough to ignore. One quick call to Front Desk informing them of the situation in which I nicely and with some humour explained my misgivings and what it is I would like to see happen (a new room on the same floor, if it could be accommodated), and I was back in the lobby exchanging room keys for a new room a few doors down and receiving apologies. The initial room was substandard, however the staff corrected the shortcoming quickly and did their best to respect my requests. I didn't think of the first room for the rest of our stay.

I must give a thumbs-up to the beds and bedding. I have two small children and I suffer the sleep deprivation that goes along with it. The bed and bedding was fantastic, and the combination of bed, bedding, and a few extra hours of childless sleep worked wonders for me.

We ordered up 6 beers (Stella Artois), come to a little under $50. Most people would complain but I've never been to a hotel that didn't charge like this for room service, particularly alcohol. I'm not saying it's good, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying...

Check out was easy, there were no errors on our bill, and the valet had our car brought around in under 5 minutes.

Good stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This place has got something big going for it. The view over the Skydome playing field is a great novelty, even if there isn`t a ballgame on. There is a bar perfectly place to just sit and enjoy with a cold bottle of Canadian.

Everything else about the hotel is everything you would expect from a 4 star property in Toronto. Large rooms, comfy beds, polite staff and clean. It also is only a 10 minute walk from Union station as well as the many bars and eateries in that vicinity. I would imagine this would be a great place to stay for sports events to for obvious reasons. It is also 5 minutes stroll to the CN tower.

One negative is the proximity of the rail lines, which can get a bit loud during the rush hours, but the solution to this is to either ask for a high room, or upgrade to the rooms which lookout over the ball park.

Room Tip: If you can, upgrade to a ballpark view room for the fun of it
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2012

It's the hotel connected to the Rogers Centre, so it's fantastic for a Blue Jays game. I was there in the offseason but it's stiil very centrally located and within a 10' walk of the Air Canada Center and all the major downtown attractions.
Very friendly staff, nice rooms, definitely my choice were I to go back to Toronto anytime soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo