“Location and service!”

Ranked #37 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Haddington, United Kingdom
“Location and service!”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

waThis was my second visit to the Cambridge Suites in 8 months. I was so impressed by my first visit that I doubt if I would stray anywhere else in Toronto now. My room was a bit smaller this time but more than adequate for one person - I haven't yet used BOTH of the TVs! Service from the reception staff was outstanding as usual and as I hadn't brought my laptop I was able to make use of the second-floor business suite during my stay for sending and reading mail. Understandably, the hotel request that guests use these PCs for only short sessions but I've never had to wait. Location could not really be bettered with Yonge Street and The Bay only minutes away and all of the city's attractions within walking distance. Only one negative - on both occasions that I have stayed here they have tried to incorrectly charge me for use of the minibar, small amounts but annoying when you haven't used it. Reception staff always helpful in resolving the issue though.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank FlyingScotsman52
timostrem, General Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear FlyingScotsman52,

Thank you for your continued loyalty - we can't wait to welcome you back. Please let me know when you are returning so I can personally ensure you recieve your preferred floorplan.

Safe travels, Tim
Cambridge Suites Hotel Toronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sumner, Christchurch
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I love the Cambridge Suites Hotel in Toronto Canada. It is the hotel that my company uses when we are in Toronto. Many of the New Zealand team who now live in Toronto stayed there for long periods prior to relocating to their own apartments.

I first stayed there in 2011 and have stayed about six times now I guess. Each stay has been most pleasant.

The hotel is very conveniently located near the corner of Richmond and Yonge Streets. The rooms are a good size and are well appointed. I don’t believe I have ever eaten a meal there (there are so many places to eat in Toronto and I am normally dinning with colleagues or my Canadian relatives at some new place). I have had some drinks at the bar in the evening on he odd occasion and it is pleasant enough. The laundry service is great. The internet has improved over the time I’ve been staying there and is now very simple to use and complimentary. They book Town Cars for airport service.

The main reason I enjoy the hotel so much is the consistently (and I mean consistently) great service from the staff. I do not believe I have ever stayed at a hotel where the staff are, to a person, so helpful, polite and cheerful.

Much of this I suspect is due to the manager, Tim Ostrem.

I did once see him and his team delivering Christmas parcels using their groovy bicycle which has a big basket on the front. They were wearing branded furry hats and looked to be having fun spreading Christmas cheer.

I have only met Tim once and it was a brief meeting. But I am connected to him through many social media services (Twitter, Four Square and LinkedIn).

On my first visit to the Cambridge (Twitter handle @CambridgeTor) I tweeted my delight in having reached the hotel after the long haul travel from New Zealand. I noted the wonderful room I was in. The Cambridge replied to my tweet to welcome me. But more impressively when I returned to my room, from one of the aforementioned dinners somewhere, there was a bottle of wine in my room along with a note that read “Thanks for the Suite tweet” and a welcome from Tim.

This was a wonderful welcome.

Tim followed me on Twitter and has welcomed me personally on every subsequent visit.

On this most recent visit I ‘checked in’ to the Cambridge on Foursquare. Tim responded with a welcome and connected via Foursquare.

The next day a colleague and I headed around the corner to a local Starbucks for a coffee and I dutifully checked in there. After about 10 minutes in walked Tim (whom I had never actually met until this visit). He had seen my check in and had bought a Starbuck’s gift card as a welcome and to buy me coffee. Very cool and again a wonderful way of making me feel welcome.

Tim truly gets the power of Social Media as a way to monitor client satisfaction, to connect with his clients and to provide innovative and personalised welcomes to his guests.

I can’t say enough about the Cambridge Suites and will (obviously) continue to stay there on my frequent trips to Toronto.

Tim can be found @timostrem or on Foursquare as Tim Ostrem MBA and of course on LinkedIn… I recommend connecting.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
timostrem, General Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear MerchantAdventurer,

Your kind words and tremendous review are greatly appreciated! While nothing will ever replace the genuine warmth and comfort of face to face hsopitality, the online world has opened up a new world of opportunities for us to connect with our guests and creater a more personal connection - thank you for sharing my contact details. I am thrilled you appreciated our efforts and look forward to your next "check-in." Don't hesitate to let me know if I can ever be of personal service to you or your family.

Yours in Hospitality, Tim
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We have stayed in this hotel before, many times over the last few years. I complained last year when they stopped supplying complimentary microwave popcorn, cookies and bottled water. I also complained about the size of their double beds, found them way smaller than all the hotel double beds I came across in my travel and was told that they were standard size. I didn't believe them then so I contacted the hotel earlier this year and asked about the beds, I was told that they were especially made to size for Cambridge Suite! They were not made to accommodate two people.

Onto this year's review: We came back to this hotel over and over again for its location. Kitty corner from The Bay and subway station. 10 minutes walk to St. Lawrence market. I could get around without having to rent a vehicle while my husband attends to his business. The room was clean but imagine my surprise when I found that they'd gotten rid of the Keurig coffee maker in the room. Keurig's K-cup coffee has always been a cut, or more, above the standard room coffee so we weren't happy to find "NABOB"!!! They'd also gotten rid of the real coffee cream they used to keep in the bar fridge as well, they now have some edible oil product coffee creamer in room temp! Yikes! The manager told us last year that they were looking for different ways other than the complimentary popcorn and cookies to make the hotel appealing to their guests. I'm still waiting.....

They now have a fruit infused iced water container in the lobby in the evenings. Prettiest thing ever and it really is a nice touch. Loved that. The usual bowl of apples sits in the lobby and I must say they have the best red delicious apples I've ever eaten. The green ones were bruised and often left behind so they should just keep to the good apples. They were out of the red one afternoon and I asked the desk clerk if they had any more. The young gentleman I asked was busy on the phone so he asked his co-worker to check behind the desk. "No" he came back. The one on the phone said to give him a few minutes then he'd check in the kitchen. We said we would come back down but he offered to bring the apples, washed and in a napkin, up to our room. I wish I'd gotten his name so he gets credit for making this hotel worth a next visit!

My husband was dining alone in the hotel restaurant one night. I wandered in with my own fruit infused water just as he was finishing his meal. I ordered a coffee and the young waiter brought a small dish of biscotti with it. It was a nice touch and he was extremely attentive. I mentioned the coffee was not hot enough, he made a fresh pot. He did not miss a beat! Wonderful service!

At the end of the day, the desk clerk's offer to bring up freshly washed apples brightened up our stay. It's always been about the experience and with that plus a clean room and a comfortable bed, we can almost forgive the hotel for serving us "NABOB"!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank swanster
Dear swanster,

Thank you for the detailed review and feedback regarding your past stays. I was very pleased to read that not only do you appreciate our excellent service, but you enjoyed our fruit infused water and fresh apples in the lobby. In addition to these special touches, we are continuing to find new ways to enhance the guest experience; with the addition of complimentary touring bikes for guests to enjoy the city, iPads avaialble at the Front Desk for guest use, and complimentary internet access for all guests. (One of the first 4 Star Hotels in our city to do so.) We have even enhanced our breakfast buffet by by adding a selection of hot items to our continental offering. And rest assured, we have not removed our Keurig Coffee Machines or Fresh Cream - they are features of our Cityscape Suites and remain in them today. Be sure to book a Cityscape Suite on your next visit to enjoy them. Thanks again - your feedback is valuable!

Sincerely, Tim
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at the Hotel over the weekend of the 27th May 2012 and all I can say is that this hotel is a definate yes for any traveller to Toronto. The hotel staff where all very good and very friendly and could not do enough to help. The hotel ammenities are perfect and the location of the hotel is also perfect for all the attractions in Toronto.

I will deffinatley be staying here again if I ever get back to Toronto.

Well done to Cambridge Suites Hotel.

1 Thank Gra000
Dear Gra000,

It was very nice of you to pass along such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. Thank you! If I can ever help wiht future travel plans to Toronto, please do not hesitate to ask.

milwaukee wisconsin
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I was suprised by no valet or doorman/bellhop. (maybe that is why the hotel is reasonable?) Parking does include in and out and is quite fast & convenient, and no tipping required.
front desk was efficient and quick. small bar & pretty good restaurant was attatched.
two room suite was nice but if they put the t.v.'s on the wall, room could be much more spacious.(would be a pain if using couch bed to move furniture).
a second luggage rack would be helpful as well.
needed some service; and was attended to quickly, which was nice. it was also nice to have a fridge as well as a mini bar with sink and counter with shelf for food & beverages.
stayed for three days and location was great as a base camp for us tourists.

Dear riverwest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other tripadvisor readers. I was pleased to read that you liked our location, amenities and services and appreciated the helpful suggestions. We have begun mounting the living room televisions on the walls in our Deluxe Suites and have already mounted them on the walls in all of our Cityscape Suites. If I can ever be of service to you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stayed at the Cambridge suites on the Victoria weekend. My friend had come to visit from Ireland and we wanted to explore Toronto.

The hotel is situated right downtown mins walk to the eaton center, bars restaurants, ideally located and close to everything.

The staff are extremely helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay very enjoyable, even going so far as to place robes in our room when our suite did not come with robes. We also are tea drinkers and we asked for a kettle and within minutes of asking a kettle was at our door. It is these little touch's that makes the Cambridge suites a cut above the other's.

The staff from the front desk to the bartender to the housekeeping staff all excellent and do a wonderful job of making the guests feel welcome.

My only negative about this hotel is the suite we stayed in could do with a little facelift, it was very clean, beds very comfortable but it needs a little up dating but this would not make me want to stay anywhere else when I come to Toronto for my next visit. My Irish pal who has stayed at many hotels said this stay was one of the most pleasant.

Thank you Cambridge Suites, I would recommend this hotel to my family and frien

• Stayed May 2012
Dear chjh,

Thank you for the lovely review. I was pleased to read that we provided a nice place in the city for you to reconnect with a friend. Thanks as well for the feedback regarding your suite. With the exception of our bathrooms, we completed renovations to all suites in 2010. We are in the process of making some design changes to our model bathrooms and hope to begin renovating them later this year. All the best to you and your friend with future travels.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We got married in the Distillery District in Toronto and stayed at the Cambridge Suites, along with our guests.

The rooms are very spacious! The rooms are a bit "stuffy", but you quickly get over that. The hotel itself is very nice and clean, and the rooms are furnished with pretty modern decor. We liked that the rooms has a separate bedroom section. However the rooms are noisy - mostly due to traffic from the outside but also sounds from the hallway and adjacent rooms.

The service and attention by the hotel staff was great. The Portico restaurant is good and convenient. The location of the hotel is also pretty great, within walking distance of Eaton Center, St-Lawrence Market, Distillery District, etc... Definitely recommend!

1 Thank jfbibeau
timostrem, General Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear jfbbeau,

Congratulations on your recent wedding - what a beautiful spot to celebrate with your friends and family. I am very pleased that we were able to play a part in this special weekend for you and am glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Sorry you felt the rooms were a bit noisy at times - normally guests rave about how quiet things are. (one of the many benefits of only 12 suites per floor.) We will be sure to take a quick audit of door and window closures, as well as elevator bells to ensure everything is working properly to minimize outside noise. I hope we get to see you again for your anniversary, or perhaps sooner.

Sincerely, Tim