“Very poor value”

Ranked #8 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Paris
“Very poor value”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

From the outside this hotel has a grey and forbidding appearance. Inside the grandeur has faded badly. The mail from my travel agent described the room I had paid for as a Deluxe oversized room. (CAD 195+taxes) The check-in guy told me they had given me a lovely queen sized room with a court view. The reality was a tiny, dreary room with one very small window right in the corner which gave onto a dark shaft. If you are feeling mildly suicidal in Toronto and have been booked into this hotel try to avoid room 822 unless you have a bottle of benzodiazapines handy. If you plan to use the room's heating system a pair of earplugs will also be useful as it has a roar like a 747 warming up for take-off.

Chased from my room by a premonition of self-harm I took refuge in the bar as the restaurant was closed for a function. It's one of those under-lit darkwood jobs that passes for old-fashioned and exclusive on this side of the Atlantic. At fifty I was the youngest patron by a good decade. This is definitley the go-to venue in Toronto if you have a new Zimmer-frame to show off. As in the rest of the hotel attention to detail is poor. An excellent local draft beer was served with a small bowl of rather stale broken biscuits. I finally had a very good piece of poached salmon from the bar menu, although I did wonder half an hour after ordering it and still waiting, whether the chef hadn't dispatched an angler off to the Yukon to catch it. I had a good tarte tatin for dessert but despite waiting another twenty minutes to get it, it was served cold.

This hotel doesn't live up to its pretensions or its prices. If you want to run a premium hotel you can't get away with supplying guests with two small ancient towels in the bathroom, worn and stained furniture in the bedroom or air-conditioning so noisy that you can't sleep with it on.

The next night, for 40 dollars less I had a vast and tastefully decorated corner suite in the Toronto Hilton just up the road.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for providing us this feedback about your experience. I am sorry to learn about your disappointing stay as I know that all of us here at the King Edward hotel are committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing. I apologize for the condition of the room that was given to you and would have been glad to assign another room if given the opportunity. We are now in the process of updating throughout the hotel and I hope that you return again to experience the transformation. I have shared your feedback about room service and towel supplies to the department managers concerned for corrective action. I do hope that you will return to visit us again and when the occasion rises I invite you to contact my office directly so I can ensure your accommodation exceeds your expectations. Once again, my apologies for any inconvenience experienced.

Tim Reardon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ontario
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The King Edward is in a great location and the place has the elegance of another time. The bar is cozy and comfortable. Order a great martini and a bowl of mac and cheese made with lobster pieces and chill out.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for your short yet wonderful review. I have shared your comments with the Consort Bar team and we are all thrilled. Thank you for appreciating the historical nature of our hotel. We are very proud of it.

I look forward to your future return.

Santa Monica
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here for 6 days/nights. Standard room was very large and spacious, which was nice. Bed was very comfortable. Lobby and hotel personnel were very friendly and helpful.

A couple of the downsides were as follows:

For a luxury hotel, I expected really nice towels. Yet the towels seemed old and flat - not very fluffy. And they were a bit on the small side.

Also, the room had plastic cups (in addition to glasses). I don't think a luxury hotel should ever use plastic cups. In addition, there was no wireless Internet in the room - you have to plug in.

Finally, the gym could use some updating. The treadmills were very old and would literally shake while running on them.

But overall, it was a nice hotel and I would recommend it for business and/or family travel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for posting your comments and sharing your experience with us. Although I am happy that you were pleased with the bed and impressed with the friendly service of our staff, I am very sorry that we fell short of your expectations in several respects. I have discussed the matters with the department heads concerned so we may correct the deficiencies. It may be of interest to note that the hotel is in the process of updating its facilities and amenities including the fitness centre. Wireless service should be made available when restoration of guest rooms is completed. I hope you visit us again so you may experience the transformation.
I wish to sincerely thank you for continuing to recommend us to your friends, family and business colleagues.

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2012

No denying this place is old school. Stay with club floor benefits and it feels just like home. The building as any buildings of that age show a little aging however the original regal architecture is stunning. A few minor bumps along the way but overall a very pleasant home away from home.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear valued guest:

Thank you very much for this review. I am glad that we could be a nice home away from home for you while in Toronto and I hope that we can continue to be for many years. I am also pleased to note that you enjoyed the club floor and its amenities. Additionally, thank you for appreciating the historical charm of the hotel. We are very proud of its rich heritage.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Vancouver
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Had a great stay...and am still here. Just had a great workout in the very well suited gym (Bright airy...modern equipment ...chilled bottled water and towels provided).
The rooms are very large and well kept....large bathrooms....clean
And the staff is great. This is a very classy hotel with old world charm but certainly NOT old rooms. The beds were very comfortable with both our beds having 2 feather pillows and 2 non feather pillows. Wonderful. The only downside I would say is that there is no wireless Internet in the rooms just wired. This didn't work for me as I had an iPad . I think the hotel will be getting wireless soon. It's available in the lobby for free as well as the lounge if you are a platinum member. The free wireless in the lobby was very quick. Another downer was that the valet parking was a bit steep even for Toronto so we only had them park us one night. We found street parking close by for about 12 dollars per night. Other than those 2 points I would highly recommend this hotel. It was a nice warm feeling returning in the evenings and enter into the wonderful grand lobby. Thanks king Eddy....I will for sure be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I have no quibbles with this hotel. It is one of the more luxurous and established hotels I've stayed in and felt like it was in a listed building.

The hotel is in the business district of Toronto, it was a quiet season so the hotel was practically empty. The staff in the restaurant were still in holiday mode as well with slow service.

The rooms and service overall however was excellent. Although a business location it is still central downtown toronto and if you get a good rate you should go for it. All the good downtown attractions are walking distance.

Therefore fine for business people, friends and family. It doesn't have a romantic feel so you may want to avoid if you are on a honeymoon. As I forementioned, this hotel is really geared to serving the local business community.

I recommend eating outside as the hotel menu is very limited. Quality is fine, so its OK for one night. You have a large range of nearby restaurants to pick from.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This is one of the historic hotels located in downtown Toronto but, at present, it's not worth the money in my opinion. The lobby is impressive and it has a very nice bar area, but the rooms are dated with dirty, bunched up carpets and furniture that has nicks and scratches. That's my biggest negative for what is supposedly a 5 star hotel. To be fair, it was in the middle of a room renovation (floor by floor) and the beds are comfy.

The gym is a good size, with modern equipment. The staff are very helpful and courteous. Personally, for similar $, I'd stay at one of the more modern hotels (i.e. the two Marriotts in the downtown core).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business