“No booking there again”

Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“No booking there again”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I booked one night at Le Méridien King Edward Toronto.Front desk staff was friendly at arrival time.Soon we went up too excited since the room details were quite nice, well we were in the 6thfloor the smell in the hall was very humid and dusty soon we entered the room the same smell and very noisy since the hotel is under construction (at the time of booking no one at the hotel mentioned to us) and the Worse was went we went to shower and the courtins were so nasty (dont feel like giving details)my husband had to go to the front desk for them to come and change the courtins in the bathroom.We aso had a reservation at the Consort Bar and we waited for 25 minutes to be seat since all tables were full BUT we had a reservation after the waiter came along saying she did not notice was a reserve table in the upper level.Food was just OK for a Consort bar but very $$$$.I dont main paying went service and queality come together.Never booking there again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ken A
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for posting this review about your stay. Please accept my apologies if your overall stay was less than enjoyable due to the ongoing construction. I am sorry that you have not been made aware of this activity. Rest assured that your feedback has been noted and shared to preclude a recurrence to future guests. Your comments about the shower curtain and wait time at Consort Bar have been passed on to the department heads concerned for further consideration. Thank you for sharing this experience and hope that you give us another opportunity to provide a flawless stay for you in the future.

Tim Readon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I took advantage of their Valentine special rate which included the "royal club lounge, offering hors d'huevres and beverages incl in the price of $179.00 plus taxes. What a major diasppointment !! Our room on the so called club level was small and so dated for a Meridien property. Water damaged ceiling over top of the bed and in the shower it felt like there was no air to breathe we asked for a larger room with a King bed and were not helpful at all to change our room. The Lounge was a joke it opened at 5:30 for the buffet of horrible mini grilled cheese fingers, egg salad fingers, veggies and dip and pita wedges with hummus, beer and wine was included. What a disappointment for a landmark hotel of Toronto. We ate at the Consort Bar, well the service was terrible so slow. We bought a voucher for $55 from Travel zoo and Thanks God we did not pay full value for the meal or I would be just loosing my mind. We sat for 20 min until someone decided to notice us. Their food was very salty (roasted beet salad and mushroom pizza and beef short ribs) what an overall disappointment. I would never go there again or even suggest this property to my friends. Upon check out we wanted to pay by debit and they only except cash or cc, he directed us to the ATM machine around the corner which as a fee of $4.25 to withdraw money and was not working...another disappointment. The manager managed to take the parking off of $45.00 for our trouble????? Very nice but not good enough.

Room Tip: apparently I was told that all rooms on the Royal Club Floor are all the same size!! we had room 10...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank schoolchef68
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you encountered during your stay. We have maintained the utmost quality of our guest rooms through the years and although some of them may be perceived as dated, we have a planned renovation commencing soon to address any deficiencies. I am also sorry that we failed to meet your expectations at dining, both in the Consort Bar and the Club Lounge. Let me assure you that your experience does not represent the quality of food products we typically provide our guests. Your comments have been shared with the department heads concerned for further consideration. It is also my hope that you reconnect with us so that we may discuss your comments and feedback.

Once again, thank you for writing and I hope to have another opportunity to demonstrate our hospitality that will go beyond your expectations.

Toronto
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I have been holding weekly business meetings in the bar at King Eddie. The poor service has forced me to unfortunately find another location.

I cannot for the life of me understand why it is so difficult for the servers to do their job.

Horrible service!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank CharleyToronto
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear valued guest:

Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service you received in the Consort Bar. We generally receive positive feedback regarding our service from among the regular patrons of the bar and so I was surprised and concerned about the experience you just had. Your comments have been noted and shared with the appropriate members of the Consort Bar team. I also welcome the opportunity to discuss with you in greater detail where we failed in our delivery of service so we can better assess the area where we need to improve. Please feel free to contact the hotel's main line and ask to be directed to me.

Once again, I do apologize and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with a much improved service.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This hotel is a historic Toronto hotel, in the best location downtown, right next to a subway station and minutes away from all the office towers and the best shopping. The staff are welcoming, the halls are airy, the rooms are big with traditional furniture. And the price is very good for a top hotel. The first time I stayed I thought it would not be affordable, or would be rundown at the price. But it is not.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear valued guest:

I am glad that the hotel offered a convenient location and easy access to many locations that are perfect for enjoying what the city has to offer. Thank you for posting such positive feedback as well as acknowledging our staff and complimenting the feel and ambiance of the guest rooms. I look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you visit the city.

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Spent two nights at the Le Meridien King Edward I prepayed via priceline the front desk attendant was very polite and gave me a beautiful room with a King sized bed even though I was booked for two queens - I was alone so I was much happier with the nicer bed. It was very soft. The lobby in the hotel is so beautiful and Victorian with an enormous portrait of King Edward VII after which the hotel is named. The room had all the expected ammenities including a good television, a minibar, ironing board, small safe in the room etc. all the ammenities which were advertised as promised. Valet parking was a little high but it included in and out privileges for 45 cdn whereas the self park around the corner (which the valet generously pointed out for me was only 21 cdn for 24 hours but did not include in and out privileges - so if you need the car use the valet parking its worth it. The hotel itself was immaculate and my room was immaculate. I was so pleased with my experience at this beautiful hotel. Thank you so much.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for a fantastic review about your recent stay at Le Meridien King Edward. It is a delight to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to meet your needs. I hope that you return next time for yet another enjoyable stay.

Paris
Reviewed 5 February 2012

From the outside this hotel has a grey and forbidding appearance. Inside the grandeur has faded badly. The mail from my travel agent described the room I had paid for as a Deluxe oversized room. (CAD 195+taxes) The check-in guy told me they had given me a lovely queen sized room with a court view. The reality was a tiny, dreary room with one very small window right in the corner which gave onto a dark shaft. If you are feeling mildly suicidal in Toronto and have been booked into this hotel try to avoid room 822 unless you have a bottle of benzodiazapines handy. If you plan to use the room's heating system a pair of earplugs will also be useful as it has a roar like a 747 warming up for take-off.

Chased from my room by a premonition of self-harm I took refuge in the bar as the restaurant was closed for a function. It's one of those under-lit darkwood jobs that passes for old-fashioned and exclusive on this side of the Atlantic. At fifty I was the youngest patron by a good decade. This is definitley the go-to venue in Toronto if you have a new Zimmer-frame to show off. As in the rest of the hotel attention to detail is poor. An excellent local draft beer was served with a small bowl of rather stale broken biscuits. I finally had a very good piece of poached salmon from the bar menu, although I did wonder half an hour after ordering it and still waiting, whether the chef hadn't dispatched an angler off to the Yukon to catch it. I had a good tarte tatin for dessert but despite waiting another twenty minutes to get it, it was served cold.

This hotel doesn't live up to its pretensions or its prices. If you want to run a premium hotel you can't get away with supplying guests with two small ancient towels in the bathroom, worn and stained furniture in the bedroom or air-conditioning so noisy that you can't sleep with it on.

The next night, for 40 dollars less I had a vast and tastefully decorated corner suite in the Toronto Hilton just up the road.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for providing us this feedback about your experience. I am sorry to learn about your disappointing stay as I know that all of us here at the King Edward hotel are committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing. I apologize for the condition of the room that was given to you and would have been glad to assign another room if given the opportunity. We are now in the process of updating throughout the hotel and I hope that you return again to experience the transformation. I have shared your feedback about room service and towel supplies to the department managers concerned for corrective action. I do hope that you will return to visit us again and when the occasion rises I invite you to contact my office directly so I can ensure your accommodation exceeds your expectations. Once again, my apologies for any inconvenience experienced.

Ontario
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The King Edward is in a great location and the place has the elegance of another time. The bar is cozy and comfortable. Order a great martini and a bowl of mac and cheese made with lobster pieces and chill out.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear valued guest:

Thank you for your short yet wonderful review. I have shared your comments with the Consort Bar team and we are all thrilled. Thank you for appreciating the historical nature of our hotel. We are very proud of it.

I look forward to your future return.