“Quiet stay, lots of shopping!”

Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown
Ranked #71 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“Quiet stay, lots of shopping!”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on December 30th. Check in was a breeze, check in staff Dylan processed me very efficiently and I didn't have any issues at all. The property is a bit dated, and the television was the old CRT variety. Not LCD/LED/Plasma variety. When I got to my room, everything was in order, this property is not a recently renovated Holiday Inn Express property, however the price which I booked at, and the location of this hotel was excellent. This hotel is located two blocks away from St. Lawrence market which opens very early in the morning on weekends, where one can purchase just about anything. Fresh fruit, meats, vegetables, cheese, breads etc. Also a few blocks north west is the large mall in Toronto, Eaton Centre. This mall spends a few stories, includes many notable stores such as Abercrombie and Fitch, Apple Store, Hollister, Lacoste, and many more. Many other electronics stores such as Best Buy and Future Shop is right near by too!

This hotel includes complimentary wi-fi Internet, complimentary breakfast which had a number of different muffins, eggs, sausage, breads, cereals, pancakes, juice, milk, apples/oranges/bananas, and a variety of teas and coffees. Please do note that parking costs $20.

In the morning a copy of the Globe and Mail newspaper was delivered outside of my room door. The furniture of my room and the lobby is a bit dated, however for the price I paid, and the location of the hotel, I didn't have too many issues with the dated furniture.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank akide
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your review! We have shared it with our team at the Hotel. It's very much appreciated that you took the time and effort to mention the name of our wonderful Associate. It goes a very long way in all of our motivational endevours. Amazing customer service is what all of our staff strive to give to each and everyone of our guests and we hear so many great comments about the things that they have done, but we never get tired of hearing more. . Complimentary breakfast, Internet and newspapers is one of the ways to say thank you for choosing us.
We hope to have you back on your next trip to Toronto.
Tariq Azad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Great location within walking distance to Waterfront, Eaton Center, St. Lawrence Market. Breakfast was very good. Rooms need a revamping (compared with other HI Express where we have been).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GyW
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown. Our complimentary breakfast buffet is a nice bonus and constantly evolving to better appease our guests’ breakfast request, with new items being added from time to time.
In the coming year our hotel will undergo numerous upgrades and improvements including renovations to the hotel room. We look forward to significantly raising the level of comfort and guest satisfaction throughout the hotel.
Thank you once again and we hope to be able to host your next visit to our fair city.
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We had stayed at this hotel in November, 2011. Its a great location, clean bed room and very friendly staff. The breakfast was very good as well. My family really enjoyed the weekend and we will definitely stay there again. Thank you and keep up the good work.

Room Tip: We were in room 1005. Had a good view of the city
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank David J
Dear Valued Guest,
We are grateful for your gracious review of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto downtown hotel. Our management is proud that we are able to exceed your expectaions and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Toronto.
Tariq Azad.
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel on Dec 8, 2011 and thought that the staff was wonderful. We had stayed here before, and enjoyed ourselves, so we decided we'd stay again since it was close to the attractions that we were in town for (The Eaton Centre and Massey Hall).

I would just like to say that the gentleman working the front desk in the evening was phenomenal. My fiancee, my son, and I were goofing around in the room and my son fell back and hit his head on the night stand. It ended up cutting his head and making it bleed quite a bit. We ran down to the lobby to see if they had any rags or anything to help stop the bleeding. The gentleman at the desk (I really wish I knew his name!) not only got me an old rag as requested, but he also gave me the key to the washroom so I could get it wet and offered to call a cab for us to take him to the hospital.

When the cab came, we weren't ready yet (we had to run down to the parking garage to get my son's health card from the van), so it left. The front desk clerk called us another cab without complaint, though and seemed genuinely concerned.

Location is one thing when planning a trip, but the staff is something that either makes or breaks the experience. I myself work front desk at a hotel as well and know just how important great customer service is. This hotel definitely has it.

Room Tip: We were on the 14th floor - pretty great view of the water!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank AHaddow
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the great review of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown. My apologies for not getting a response back to you sooner. I’ m so sorry to hear about your son’s incident. I have two sons and know how hard it can be to see our children in pain, especially when they are very young. I hope your son is okay now.

It makes me very proud to receive such great feedback from you - especially your kind comments about one of my associates. Our associates are our asset and we are very proud to have such great individuals working for us that make the difference! Thanks again for your great comments and please do visit us soon again! Kind regards, Tariq
Florianopolis
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We had stayed here long ago, and liked the location. So we decided to give it a try. The hotel needs renovation, but the staff is very friendly and helpful and the free breakfast is surprisingly good. Very close to St. Lawrence market, and you can walk to the waterfront. CN Tower is not far away. All in all, we would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Adil_Vaz
AGMToronto, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 7 December 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown an would like to thank you for leaving a glowing review.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write and tell us about your stay with us and we look forward to seeing again when you get the chance to visit our fair city.

San Rafael, California
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I like to stay in the city center, and I know what to expect from the Holiday Inn chain. The location was just off a major road, so traffic noise was not a problem. The streets are wide, clean, and well-lit. The included breakfast is decent, enough to save you a bit of money, though the selection isn't lavish. I didn't notice any food items running out as time went on (sometimes the "good" stuff is gone before the last hour). Most of the city's attractions are in walking distance, and there are many restaurants and food options within a short walk, the Eaton Centre shopping area is less than 1km away (adjacent to Queen Station).

I didn't I have a car, so I can't judge the value of using the parking lot. There is a lobby computer to check email, do touristy research, and print boarding passes. Free wi-fi worked well, and the room was larger than I expected, maybe being a Priority Club member had something to do with it. I was on the 14th floor, with a nice view of the harbor over St James Park, so I could open the windows (also unexpected) to see the Occupy Toronto campsite activities. The elevators did not chime when they arrive at your floor, so it is possible to never notice that one stopped to pick you up.

I would rate this hotel around 3.5/5, but this rating system doesn't allow half grades. I would recommend this hotel to others who want above average quality for a budget price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank klew97
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown. The best compliment that we can possible receive is that our guests can say that they would recommend us to other travelers. Thank you again for this.
Our location is great and close to much of what Toronto has to offer and close enough to the transit system to be able to get you anywhere without the stress of city driving. Complimentary breakfast, Internet and newspapers is one of the ways to say thank you for choosing us.
We hope to have you return on your next trip to Toronto.

england
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed in this hotel at the start of a three week tour of Canada and the Sates. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly and, arriving in a quiet midweek just before Canadian Thanksgiving we were given a top floor room with a great view of the Lake. The furnishings need a makeover but this hotel represented great value for money. It is situated in the old town and in easy walking distance of the city and the tour bus if you want to use it. We have travelled widely and felt safe walking back here even late at night.The breakfast was included in the price and included a good range of hot and cold food and a range of drinks. The hotel has a mini-launderette, very useful if, like us you are travelling light.The cost of washing and drying a load came to $4CAN and helped us on our way. There is free internet access in the foyer. The staff made bookings for us as needed. Around the corner was the refurbished market where we bought a great seafood meal in atmospheric surroundings for about $9CAN a head.A great place to stay !

Room Tip: The top floor has a great view of Lake Ontario and of the night-time city
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind review which you posted on Trip Advisor. It makes me very proud to receive such great feedback from you - especially your kind comments about our associates. Our associates are our asset and we are very proud to have such great individuals working for us that make the difference! Thanks again for your great comments and please do visit us soon again.