“Hooker Haven”

Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East
Ranked #127 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Was there this past weekend for about 15 minutes.We were in Scarborough for a hockey tournament and the hotel was recommended by the association running the
tournament. The place was nasty inside we were their checking in at about 2:30 pm
and there were hookers strolling in and out of this pit like they owned the place. Some of the kids were given a real treat when one of the doors from a room swung open and one of the hookers was standing in the door way of the room naked. From previous experience I book my own hotels and I was just dropping a few players off that were staying at this dump. We were staying at the Radisson in Scarborough the rest of the team ended up at the Radisson because of the conditions at this place it should be raided and shut down. If this place is rated even a *1 star rating the Radisson should be rated a 7 star. That is how bad this place is ! I would not let my dog stay at Howard Johnson's in Toronto east.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Damage22
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2010

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize for what has happened to some of the children. We are a family friendly hotel, so situations like this should not happen. I hope you understand that we cannot pre-screen all of the guests at our hotel, and as long as they can provide their photo identification and payment, we assume they are normal guests, just as you are. If you find situations like this in the future, we would appreciate if you let the front desk know right away, so that Management can investigate and correct the problem. We will try to be more aware of these situations, and take action immediately to correct them.

Reviewed 4 February 2010

Here is a list of what was wrong:
Indoor pool mysterious large brown stain at the bottom of the pool
Odd smells eminating from the hallway and rooms
Blood stain on lamp shade
Family of 10 living across the hall
Kids screaming at 2am
Go to lay down on the bed, it breaks. No the person is not fat their bodyweight is around 220lbs
Sliding door in one of the rooms has about a 1" gap when fully closed
Sliding door in other room had to be kicked closed numerous times
Prostitue being dropped off in parking in the morning
Pay up front for the rooms for 2 nights
Being hassled for 10$ for a cot
Shower was either ice cold or burning hot sometimes it alternated
Found out that the Hilton would have only cost us 10$ more a night from what we were paying at the HOJO :(
Free breakfast, questionable muffins, had to change the coffee dispenser
Dinnerware with peoples names on them locked up at the bar
Going to bed at night caused eyes to become itchy
Bathroom floor seemed to be the only thing heated in the entire room

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Calvin_rmt
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2010

Thank you for your feedback. I believe you are the guest my General Manager had discussed with and solved concerns that were brought to our attention. I will just address some concerns you didn’t mention earlier.

We apologize for the ‘brown stain’ in the swimming pool, we want to assure you there is nothing ‘mysterious’, it is just rust from pipes and aged water marks. Actually, our renovation plans include the swimming pool area and will commence shortly.

For your information, we have a 24 hour Front Desk that is ready to deal with issues that may arise any time of the day or night. Your concern with ‘kids screaming at 2am’, could have been solved by calling our Front Desk staff to investigate the situation. Please notice Front Desk immediately when such situations happen in the future. Our Night Security patrols the hotel regularly and they will remind any disturbing guest to be considerable whenever they find any unacceptable behavior.

The $10 charge for a cot, is actually our standard charge for the roll-away bed you requested. It is one of the lowest charges among hotels in Toronto. Just to add, we do provide a crib for a baby free of charge upon availability.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 February 2010

We had booked our stay in non smoking rooms for 3 days because we had a family trip with the kids, it was the kids first hotel stay and should have been a fun experience,the room smelled musty, there were cigarette burns on the nightstands as well as in the carpets, the first night we returned from an outing there were about 50 teenagers standing around outside, and another very large group hanging out in one of the rooms, doors open, music BLASTING and you can hear beer bottles breaking, front desk would not answer the phones, we had to walk to the desk to complain, there were security guards on site making rounds, however i think they were more interested in looking at the young hoochies dancing around, at 3am the police were called because you can smell the drugs being smoked. With a large amount of arguing with the manager the next morning, we were refunded one nights stay,with a promise it would not happen again, the pool was the best part of the stay at this dump. We left a night early to say the least. Its "fitness center" was a bike and a stepper

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank crankymomma

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize for the situation you experienced at our hotel. I can assure you that parties are not allowed at our hotel, and visitors are not permitted after 11:00pm. In your case of trying to call the Front Desk and not getting an answer, sometimes if the staff are serving a guest, or if they are on another line, it is difficult to pick up all the calls. There is no excuse for calls to be ignored, and our Management will look further into this situation for better customer service and training procedures. In regards to the room, I can assure you that it was cleaned to standard and that we are aware that the furniture and fixtures might appear old. We are currently starting our renovation process of the guest rooms and hope you will schedule a return visit when we are finished. Also, I noticed your stay was in August of last year, our fitness centre has since been closed, and is awaiting renovations that will commence after the guest rooms are finished. We are happy to hear that your family enjoyed the use of our indoor pool. Once again, thank you for the feedback, as it allows our hotel improve better customer service and cleaning standards.

Reviewed 29 January 2010

Stayed at this hotel for several nights before the holidays. It's an old and tired place which needs a lot of work. The rate I got was very reasonable though. For $69 I got a decent room plus free wireless internet and breakfast. The front desk people were very friendly and willing to help. I have read the bad reviews on TripAdvisor before I booked this hotel but was still attracted by their very good rate. I did not experience the dirty room or rude service which other folks had at this hotel. The night shift front desk guy told me most of the bad stories occured in the summer when they were very busy and sometimes couldn't keep up with guest requests. I believe him because it is to imagine how much work this old building can bring to the staff. I was told this hotel was sold in 2008 to a new owner. The new owner has been cleaning up lots of junk left by the previous owner and replaced the management. At least from what I saw, the people who currently run this hotel were quite friendly and professional.

Frankly, if my budget allowed me, I would chooes some better hotel to stay during that trip. However, I think this hotel is a fair deal based on the reasonable rate, comfortable room and friendly service I received.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dz565k
HojoDawn, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2010

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the positive feedback. Usually guests only take the time to submit feedback when they have encountered a problem and not when they have a good experience. Just for your information, many of the guest comments on this website are from a few years ago, and the hotel has since come under new management. The staff at Howard Johnson Toronto East have been trained on better customer service, cleaning and maintenance standards in the past two years. We also try to give guests the best value for their money by including free breakfast, parking and wireless internet with the room rate. It is true that our hotel is aged, however, management is currently in the renovation planning process. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with this encouraging feedback, we really appreciate it.

Reviewed 1 September 2009

The hotel shows its age in 80’s décor, worn down and dirty. Nice staff, helpful to a fault. When I turned down the street where the hotel is located I couldn’t find it, only a sign. Turned into the parking lot where the sign was, had to drive to the end of the parking lot and then eventually found the entrance.

I checked in quickly and without problems. I was told the hours of the breakfast and directed to the location of the breakfast, friendly staff. I quickly peeked at the pool on my way to my room, it looked nice. The hotel has an 80’s decor which I don’t think has been changed since it was built. I pass through a security door and find that the halls are dirty and smelly; the stairs look like they have not been vacuumed in a long time. At the top of the stairs the door knob is broken and bashed in. Doors have sections of paint peeled off. The hotel looks worn and run down. Near to entrance “5” there was a wasp nest with plenty of wasp buzzing around. Which would have been the balcony of the 2nd or 3rd room from the entrance.

I was in room 2203, which is one room away from the stairs. I heard all kinds of commotion from the stairs and the hall. The room and bedding was clean, but the carpet and the furniture look worn and run down. The carpet had large worn marks. The wall above the bed has a smoke trail like somebody lit a candle from the headboard. The internet is free WiFi but the signal is poor from my room, lost connections a few times.

The next morning I decided to try out the exercise facility, get down there with my running clothes on and find out that the facility doesn’t open until 9am. When I return to my room I hadn’t grab my room key. At the front desk I explain that I didn’t grab the room key. The clerk asked for my room number and gave me another key without challenging me any more than that. I then showed concern for my safety, returned to my room, packed up. I then decided to try the free breakfast. Talk about disappointment, cereal, muffins and various bread including bagels, PB and Jam. There was juice and coffee. Not much more. I checked-out and checked-in at another hotel.

I would only recommend this hotel if you are seriously hurting in cash and need a cheap place to stay in Toronto.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank runningthin
Reviewed 9 August 2009

You get what you pay for. The rooms were dingy and had a smell to them. The entire placed smelled funny. The service was poor, and we got yelled at for coming down to breakfast too early (We came down at the advertised time).

Bottom line - ICK.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank joleneybea
Reviewed 7 August 2009

This is the absolutely worst dump and pathetic lodgings I have EVER encountered and I mean WORST!..I stayed in the Algoma Hotel in Sault Ste. Marie in 1981 on a trip from out west(a place where drunks sleep in the doorway and rooms with community bathrooms on the floor went for the astounding cost of $8 a night and it put this place to shame!!!..Weeds growing out of all areas of the concrete at entrance..Ugly landscaping..poorly lit..messy entrance because there are parts and sections of newspapers and magazines in the rack that were 3 - 4 months old and should have been cleaned up hundered times..my wife who was with me was ill so I asked that we be placed in an area where there were no children or full rooms as the hotel was almost empty..so they gave us a room around the back where the entrance to the hotel was so covered with old cigarette butts and litter as well as an overflowing garbage can..the area inside the entrance stunk of marijuana and urine..the hallways were musty smelling and dank and after we got into our room they started putting the other guests in all the rooms around us..my wife couldn't sleep because the Asian people(I love the Chinese, very family oriented but the ones who owned this place don't give a crap about anyone who isn't Asian) in the next room kept their room door open as they had other family members given the rooms around us and one had a small child that screamed and bawled until one in the morning..we had travelled 500 miles that day and were way too sick and tired to move to another room but the next day I found out there were dozens of empty rooms all over the hotel but they gave those rooms to their family guests so "the maids didn't have to walk all over to clean that day"..even after I asked for a room where no one was adjacent because of my wife's illness..going into the Chinese buffet restaurant located in the hotel is enough to turn you off the food as it smells like a cat litter box and stale urine..then when I went to that restaurant, the place was virtually empty and they sat me in a corner where there was no air circulation and it was very hot..then as more people came in which obviously were well known to the owners, they gave them central tables and only then turned the air conditioning on..the ONE thing I was looking forward to was a swim after a warm uncomfortable dinner experience.. yet the outdoor pool wasn't even maintained and the indoor one was closed by the Toronto Health department because of 'safety issues' with the doors..was told it would be fixed in an hour but wasn't fixed at all..no apology for my inconvenience..the next morning after a fitful night of semi-sleep we were awakened by the female STAFF who had gathered in the centre courtyard to talk and have coffee and pick flowers!!..and it wasn't even 7 A.M.!!!..even after I told them to quiet down they ignored me so instead of being able to sleep as needed(my wife had surgery the previous day and was ill) we ended up getting up and checking out because after the noisy staff had finally moved on the people in the neighbouring rooms opened their doors to 'visit' one another and the young child began to make noise while playing in the hall..upon checkout I said,"I came here to get some sleep. Not be woken by your noisy staff who should know better."..and I received not an apology or concern, but only a dumb unknowing stare as if I was some kind of idiot..I never even bothered complaining to the HJ chain because I was so pissed off about the whole stay I didn't know where to start..even at it's cheap rate and half decent location for what we needed it for I would NEVER stay here again..unless you are 100% desperate and every other place is booked you'd be better off sleeping in your CAR!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business