“Great”
Review of Alexandra Hotel

Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #97 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I arrived here after leaving my previous accommodation in disgust. The Alexandra made my feel much better about my stay in Toronto. Location was acceptable (I like to walk) but transport was nearby.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Tony U
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Thank you for the positive review. We hope you stay again next time you are in town!

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My boyfriend and I originally booked the Grange hotel, but upon arriving we were told that the parking lot was full and that we would have to stay at the Alexandra, about a block and a half away. This seemed fine, as the Grange was across the street from a kind of sketchy area, and the Alexandra is up the street from a theatre and right next to a park. The person in the Lobby was very friendly and we recieved the keys to our room right away. Upon getting to our room - it was pretty standard. There were 2 beds a small kitchenette and a bathroom - very no frills but it suited our needs. The only complaint I would have is that the next morning, my boyfriend found a bug in the bed, that looked like a small beetle. He put it in a cup and went to speak to the manager. Instead he was told to come back at check out and that a manager would deal with it then. When we were checking out my boyfriend spoke to the manager, who told him that the bug was a spider (which is was clearly not) and that that was that. Otherwise the hotel was fine, but because of this experience, I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScoobCW
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

We do appreciate it when our guests bring up any concerns they have during their stay, and unfortunately during the summer the occasional bug (beetle or spider) does sneak in. We do our best to keep our rooms clean and comfortable and our guests happy, and I'm sorry if we were less than satisfactory in that regard during your stay here.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

It's nice. It's a hotel where the focus is on the purpose of your trip. In other words, we were in Toronto to see Toronto, not for a hotel experience. It feels like a former college dormitory (a hospital is situated about one block north...could it have been a residence for nursing students)? I was entertained by the co-ed softball game in the adjacent park one evening, and the men's soccer game the following evening.

Two short blocks to the south you will find Queen St, a major east-west thoroughfare with frequent public transportation, although if you like to walk (we do) you'll find that downtown to, for example, the CN Tower takes only 35-40 minutes. I personally feel one only gets the flavor of a city by walking around, so going to the city center on foot was pleasurable, You can go on one of the sightseeing tours ($35-$45) or get an all-day public transportation pass ($10.00) and a public transportation map and design your own tour. You choose.

One block north (through the park) and you're in Chinatown where we had dinner several times. You might want to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at the open markets there. Most city-located hotels don't provide a free Continental breakfast...this hotel gives you the opportunity to have breakfast in your room taking advantage of the refridgerator/stove/sink.

Others have commented that the neighborhood makes them a little uneasy but I never felt that way; the parking is free and adequate; we mistakenly failed to lock our car door one day and I was not surprised to find everything untouched.

I was completely satisfied and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for a high south side room to get a good view of the CN tower
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nfl_reject

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Toronto and found the location convenient. The Alexandra Hotel was never a dormitory but it was, at one time, an apartment building. This is why all the units are self-contained and private.

Toronto is a great city for walking, and I always recommend guests check out the area on foot, as some of Toronto's most interesting neighborhoods (Kensington Market, Chinatown, Little Italy, The Annex, etc.) are within walking distance from our hotel.

Reviewed 16 July 2011

Some prior reviews mentioned that this hotel is in a run-down neighborhood. It's not like that. There is a housing project in a different part of the Alexandra Park block, and the area is ethnic. But the hotel itself is located in a quiet residential part of the block. People walk through the area and it's just fine. It's also convenient with a streetcar stop about 2 minutes away.

There are some non-standard things that were a little bit weird. The hotel used to be some kind of apartment complex, so when I arrived I had to sign a form that said I was not a tenant, just a lodger. They also asked for a credit card imprint as a "deposit." It was either that or $100 in cash, but when I left they gave the credit card slip back so they didn't keep anything.

The room did have a kitchen, complete with some pots and utensils. There was also a refrigerator and microwave. The building and halls were sort of old, and the room itself, including the TV, was old style, but it was clean and quiet. It was comfortable to settle in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank nimrod987
Joe_at_Grange, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Hello, and thank you for your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! As a smaller, independent hotel, we try to keep things simple so we can pass on savings to our guests. Larger hotels generally file credit card deposits electronically without informing their guests, but we simply use imprints that are returned to the guest when they check out.

Comfort and cleanliness are our priority, and I'm glad you found the hotel satisfactory in that regard!

Reviewed 16 June 2011

It fit the bill for what I was looking for. It was about a 20 minute walk from where I had to be. There is a park across the street. The room (kitchenette) was clean and it offered me the ability to cook if I wanted to. Close to public transportation. About an hour to the airport (Pearson) at a cost of $2.00 !! The neigborhood is a mix of different types residential homes (apts, duplexs, etc). If I was going back to Toronto I would stay there again

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank clinton1941

We appreciate the review and hope you stay with us again sometime.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

The Alexandra was just what we seeking for an economical stay in the central city area of Toronto. Three of us had a room with one double and one single bed. The hotel is in a quiet residential neighborhood just outside of Chinatown off Dundas St., and close by to Kensington Market. The kitchenette saved us money on breakfasts, buying supplies at a grocery store on nearby Queen St. The room was on the smallish side but very clean. It had A/C ,but the windows also opened for fresh air. Since we didn't bring a laptop for the free WiFi, the public library nearby across the public park had free internet access. The streetcars stops were on all 3 nearby main streets in either direction.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I spent 5 nights at this hotel. Room was basic but a good size and kept clean. Kitchenette was very useful. Location was excellent. People who worked here were very helpful. It was great to have parking. It was quiet at night. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo