“If you LOVE food ~ this is a must go kind of place”

St. Lawrence Market
Ranked #2 of 542 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Once housing city hall, this Victorian building is surrounded by other historically significant architectural gems.
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I live in a small town, and travel by train to Toronto to visit friends and get a good injection of "city life" ~ and since it’s only a ten minute walk from the train station -- every trip on my way back home, I head over to the St Lawrence Market to fill my eyes (and basket) with goodies – such as lean Ontario lamb shanks -- amazing artisan cheeses from Québec and elsewhere – spicy sausages, yellow mangos, black figs and big bunches of sweet basil -- and everything is always fresh and wonderful.

It’s a fun place to go and a genuinely excellent place to shop -- a bustling historic fixture in the downtown core, that is well-used and well-loved -- and I’ve bumped into a couple of TV cooking celeb’s strolling the aisles, (which is always a treat) and people are (mostly always) smiling and friendly – and why not!!!

There are tons of great cheese/meat/bakery/fruit & veg shops – as well as a tiny but good tea stall – and a place that you can pick-up a little chunk of BC smoked salmon – and of course – and my last purchase is always some kind of freshly made sandwich for the ride home (BBQ chicken / roasted peameal bacon or an eggplant parm sandwich – that’s enough for breakfast AND lunch!!) ...but careful!... it’s not open Mondays... boo hoo...

Write a ReviewReviews (11,092)
All reviews
in 1,043 reviews
"cheese"
in 2,055 reviews

Reviewed March 30, 2012

My partner and I jog to the St. Lawrence Market from Yonge & Eglinton almost every weekend to buy our favorites and take the subway home.

We are weak in the knees for a variety of meats and cheeses. Our 7km jog on Saturdays is always rewarded with great eats which we pick at Saturday afternoons upon our return from the market. We love to try new cheeses so we tell the guys what we like and they will offer samples of something similar but new for us to try. I don't think we have left with the same cheese twice!

It's beyond busy with people wandering and strollers and such so if you don't like crowds I would get there as early as possible. I don't enjoy large/busy crowds myself, so we tend to get in and out in about 15 minutes.

Don't forget to visit the bottom floor for the BEST VEAL SANDWICH IN THE CITY!

Reviewed March 29, 2012

If you stop here, Kensington Market, Chinatown, and Little India, you get a great taste of the various food on offer in Toronto.

St. Lawrence market skews more towards European deli and produce items, but really great quality cheeses, meats, veg, etc.

And great people watching. Live music on weekends. Get there early as it can get packed.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I love markets - and this is one of them. Great to visit.
By Henry