“Superb hotel but beware of DMP !”

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #33 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I was all set to rate this wonderful hotel 5 stars or more until the day I
checked out and discovered "DMP" charges on the bill slipped under
my door. What's DMP? Good question. It was never explained to me
upon check-in and the acronym wasn't decoded on the bill either. So I asked. DMP stands
for Destination Marketing Program, a VOLUNTARY program of Greater Toronto Hotel Association (GTHA) in which Marriott chooses to participate and to add a fee
to your bill. Just as the basic room rate is taxed 13%, to add
insult to injury, the DMP fee is also taxed, resulting in an additional 3% surcharge on your bill! The hotel staff I spoke with admit it's a bad idea to charge guests extra for a marketing campaign. It's also a bad idea that this arbitrary hidden fee is automatically added to guests' bills with the hope it will go unnoticed

If Marriott chooses to donate 3% of its profits to
help Toronto market tourism, that's fine with me. When I buy a $20 toaster in Walmart, of course I pay $20 to Walmart plus legally mandated sales tax to the government. But the $20 retail price of the toaster includes Walmart's expenses, including marketing or advertising. In the case of Marriott, their decision to surreptitiously pass this marketing cost along to hotel guests as a check-out surprise will only discourage, not encourage, visits to Toronto.

Remember this is NOT a tax imposed by a legitimate government entity, but rather a marketing surcharge to enrich the "for-profit" GTHA. Shame on Marriott for voluntarily participating, and shame on Marriott for opportunistically passing the deceptive DMP fee on to its guests.

This is a great hotel with outstanding accommodations and service, but I doubt I'll be back until Marriott renounces this unethical business practice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
17  Thank 1NicePerson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Pro:
- nice, clean rooms
- convenient location near subway
- very friendly valet and front desk staff (were a better concierge than the actual concierge - see comments below)

Con:
- rude concierge - I'll save the long, drawn out story but basically I felt like I was being scolded for not knowing the location of the restaurant I was asking the location of. She told me I must have the name wrong (I did not) because it wasn't in her "book" yet it is a trendy, well known restaurant when you look online. I expect more out of a concierge - they should be an expert on the city. She was not an expert and she gave me attitude for also not being an expert.
- no free wifi (to me free wifi in the lobby does not count) which is absurd for the price of this hotel. This was especially inconvenient when I had to do the concierges job for her and could not do it from the convenience of my room.

Other comments:
- hotel layout leaves a little to be desired, we actually went up a flight of stairs to take the elevator because it was quicker than walking to the elevator on our floor
- we had no mini-fridge like other comments stated they had and it would have been nice

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator or you may be in for a hike.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jlkam
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

So close to Yorkville with shopping and subway downstairs. Typical Marriott look and feel. Service was good just wish wi-fi was included. We had a car rental and next time we would drop off first as parking is pricey and with the subway access, the car was not needed.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The hotel is pretty ordinary, nothing special, nothing wowed me.

The front desk always only have 2 staff, and sometimes one, and the few times I was at the lobby, there was always a line waiting. The staff are quite polite and efficient. However, I asked them to add my membership number to my booking when I checked in and they did not (I found out when I checked out).

The room is rather spacious.And unlike Fairmont, they have more than enough electrical outlets, 2 each on 2 of the desk lamps (see photo), and 4 on the work desk. The bed is too soft for my taste.

The fitness room is clean and big enough to have all the essential equipment. The equipmeent are rather new and well maintained.

For me, the worst part is, even as a member, there is still a ~$15+tax charge per day for Wi-Fi and Internet. In this age and time, it's ridiculas for any hotel to charge this, especially when you are their loyalty member.

Wi-Fi is free in the lobby though. This is whay you always see a load of people sitting in the couches in the lobby.

The best part about this hotel is its location. It is just right beside the subway station and is walking distance from Yorkville.

Other than the location, there is really nothing special about this hotel. Everything you need is there, but no wow factor.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Sunny B
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I booked this on Hotwire. (Thus not knowing what hotel I was getting until booked)
It is a great location, easy to get to and parking was easy to find.
Very clean, nice size room. Comfy bed. No complaints except I think Internet should be included. It was like 13 a day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2013

You are right in the middle of the city, on Bloor Street not far from Church Street and all the shopping and restaurants. Pricey but very comfy, with up to date everything. I was only there for one night, but had a very positive experience with the front desk and room service. Would have liked free WiFi, an increasing number of hotels are now offering it, so it seems a bit niggardly of the hotel to demand payment for something nearly everyone now uses. Also, my room was quite far from the elevator and as I was travelling alone, I felt somewhat vulnerable hiking from the elevator to my room, but was too tired to go back to the lobby to ask for a room a bit closer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 151JackieM
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I had no idea of what to expect, knowing a different Marriott nearby than this newer one. And what a great place! Carol-Lynn welcomed with a huge smile and very confident voice...and upgraded my room without asking. Fantastic. And again, this morning, she was just as helpful.

First, the only (only one) negative. The internet, not their product but resold, was expensive (16.00 for the room; available free in the lobby and business centre) and would not work properly. Constantly dropping the connection, my call to the help desk was futile, nothing changed. But they readily reimbursed, no prob. The prob was how inconvenient it was for me, trying to work at night from my room.

Oh, just thought of one other...so there were only a few coffee pods for the machine and when I called for more, they not only brought a different type of coffee (for a drip machine!) but I was in another part of the room, thought I heard something, and there the fellow was!. I did not hear a knock and I didn't have any noise on. ??

BUT what I did like far outweighs these two things. The location if perfect in Toronto for walking and seeing everything. Yonge and Bloor is the greatest spot (I grew up here first 20+ years so I know it well). And for someone like me who doesn't want to eat out when travelling, right next door is the most fabulous fully stocked grocery store and specialty deli...self-serve as usual, but then things you would never expect...poached salmon, chicken breasts and...lobster! Just grab and go, this cooked lobster! I bought veggies and microwaved them before taking them back to the room. Open 7 'til 10 every night. Fantastic.

The gym is pretty large, has machines and weights, and free apples (no pool). Securely held my bags when checkout was earlier than I needed (note to those of you who do this...always watch them being put away...one time mine were left out and stolen before they were put in the locked area. All my pics were gone. So sad).

I think it's always the staff the make it great but here it's the layout, the proximity to healthy do-it-yourself food, shopping, subway (right beside it), airport highway, etc etc.

Am definitely asking our workplace travel person to send me here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business