“Fantastic food!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 4, 2014

On our last night in Toronto we decided to head down Yonge street to check out this restaurant after having seen it a couple of nights earlier when it was packed. Generally if a place is full it's for a reason and Cocina Lucero did not disappoint. Our server was very nice and the food was fantastic. If you're looking for some great Mexican food I would highly recommend checking this place out, I don't think you could go wrong ordering anything off the menu!

1  Thank Rachel M

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We tried to go to La Mexicana, another Mexican restaurant on Yonge St but it was full. They recommended Cocina Lucero and I am so glad that they did. The staff were excellent and the food was fabulous. If you are looking for Mexican in Yorkville, you must give this place a try!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stopped in on a Monday night after finding our intended destination, the Brazilian place next door, was closed. We were seated outdoors at a wobbly table and left there for quite a while before our waiter came over to take drink orders. We were entertained in the interim by two drunk homeless persons who were engaged in a boisterous expletive filled argument on the adjacent sidewalk. Other customers were brought chips and salsa, but we never saw any at our table. Our waiter took our drink orders and after another extended wait, during which we were visited by a panhandler leaning over the restaurant's rail, he came back with the wrong beer. Service-wise that's pretty much how it went the rest of the night. Two separate requests for their WiFi password were met with "I'll find out" (neither he nor I ever did). By the time our food arrived I was ready to hate this place.

But the food was delicious. Our queso fundido was tasty and the tortillas soft and fresh. My pork chimichangas may have been the best I've ever had, and the side salad of mixed greens that came with it was better than you'd ever expect at a neighborhood Mexican joint. My companion had only good things to say.about his combo plate. The prices were a bit on the high side but not completely out of the ballpark.

If not for the bungling waiter this place would easily have earned four stars. I won't be back, but if you are willing to take a chance on getting lousy service and are not fussy about ambiance, you might want to give it a try.

1  Thank Thomas C
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We went to Cocina Lucero for a business lunch. It is walking distance from Queen’s Park. The restaurant itself is not large, but the food was the best Mexican ever. They advertise that their food is fresh and made from scratch and judging from our meal that is believable. I ordered the lunch size enchiladas and it could have fed two. The flavours were exquisite and a delight to the taste buds. They have a variety of Mexican dishes to choose from and even feature fish and lobster tacos and authentic Mexican deserts. This is definitely a place I would try for supper when I would have more time to enjoy.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Walked by this restaurant on Sunday; tried it on Monday. Friendly, prompt accommodating service. Enticing food presentation. I had orchata (refreshing, not overtly sweet) and the pescado veracruzano. My husband had had the enchilada plate (two cheese one beef, topped with a red sauce), both came with a salad of fresh greens and frijoles negros, charro style topped with queso fresco (rice with vegetables accompanied the pescado). Finished dinner with a velvety flan. For my taste, the food could have been a bit spicier which the waiter assured could be done upon request (chipotle sauce, habanero or jalapeno), this place aims to please. Generous portions, good quality. Try it, you wouldn't be disappointed.

1  Thank pasepartout