“Can be better”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 13, 2015 via mobile

Had dinner here last Friday in the patio. It's not crazy busy. So there was no wait. The patio was nice and comfy. They have Corona beer at $5. But the food was just blah. Not exciting like Mexican food should be. I had the combo platter. But it had no rice or salsa. It was dry. I had to order an extra side dish of rice. The service was great. However The food can be a lot better.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank Joe_Cruzer

Reviewed July 8, 2015 via mobile

Myself and a friend had a late dinner on the patio on a Sunday night. The chips and salsa and drinks were good. Great service. We weren't that impressed with the main course. I had enchiladas- one pork & one chicken which were both good. I also had one veggie one which was strange - it was filled with raw broccoli and carrots. Not very Mexican. It came with coleslaw on the side with corn on top. Like the kind you'd eat on a picnic which I though was odd. My friend had the fish. It was deep fried which is not mentioned on the menu. She did like the sauce it came with. There was no music playing on the patio. I think that would add a lot to the ambiance. Overall it was just ok.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank SunnyDays174
Reviewed June 15, 2015

We went as a large group. The food was very fresh however missed the authentic ingredients for Mexican food. The vegetarian items had choices of onions, peppers, cauliflower, zuchhini which I have not seen in authentic Mexican food. Was a bit of a disappointment as he didn't even have the option of mushrooms and everything was premade so we could not switch out any of the vegetables. The place was ok smaller side. Would have liked more options and more authentic food and taste. The drinks were good. Staff was helpful but seemed overwhelmed.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank meworldtraveller
Reviewed May 29, 2015

I was here for a bachelorette party. Had a frozen Lime Margarita to start....DELICIOUS! By far the best I've ever had.
For dinner I had the enchiladas. They were good but nothing outstanding. After I ordered I was asked if I wanted rice or beans with that, assuming then it was included, but on my bill I was charged extra for the rice. A friend asked if she could have extra guacamole because she was allergic to the sour-cream and was charged for it as well. I hate sneaky charges.
Everyone enjoyed themselves and their food. The quality was very good. As people left the restaurant others came in. They had live Mexican music playing outside which was nice to see. The staff were friendly and kind as well.
My hubby picked up take-out when dropping me off. He loved the chimichangas, empanadas and the tacquitos. My girls said they enjoyed their dinner too.
Overall I would recommend Cocina Lucero for good Mexican eats.

Date of visit: May 2015
1  Thank beckysunshine2
Reviewed January 12, 2015

We have been twice to Cocina Lucero and both times sat on the awning and large tree covered patio that faces Maitland Street. North of College Park and one block south of Wellesley Street and TTC Subway Station. The chips were rather stale tasting and the salsa could be a bit spicier but the guacamole was fresh and tasty. I had the fajita as my main and it was good. A good size portion and sizzling hot. The food is a little short of flavour and spice. They need to kick it up a notch.
Servers are very attentive but come across a bit skittish. We never had to ask for anything. They gust need to Relax and smile more.
I think that I will be back again but I am still on the search for Toronto's best Mexican and Spanish food.

Date of visit: September 2014