New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 131 Hotels in Toronto
Montréal, Qc
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was in Toronto on business for 4 days and stayed 3 nights here. I'd booked my trip -- flight + hotel -- on Expedia.

On the morning following my 1st night there, I sent for breakfast and was surprised to be told that the rate I got did not include breakfast. I had a very light meal and the waiter said he wouldn't charge me for the whole buffet but rather à la carte de couple of toasts I had. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that I find it somewhat "cheap" that any luxury hotel would charge you over and above for every little thing, from Internet access to in-room coffee to breakfast. (To be clear, this hotel charged for none of this -- except, in my case, breakfast -- and had bottles of water and green apples available at every floor.) So I tweeted this before going out.

When I got back to my room, I found a very personalized letter **en français!** from the hotel manager, thanking me (!) for posting a comment on Twitter. The letter explained that the hotel currently ran two rates -- that is, with and without breakfast -- and that Expedia rates were of the latter type. The letter mentioned that soon, all rates would include breakfast. But the letter also included information about a deal this chain has in place with my organization (which means they actually did some background research on me!) and concluded with a pledge to offer me free breakfast for the remainder of my stay.

Wow.

Some would call this customer empowerment, or a good exemple of service failure recovery (and the paradox that comes with it).

I just call it outstanding service.

This hotel may be as clean, well-located, and nicely decorated, these are all basic factors to me. What will keep me going back to it from now on is its human, personal touch.

Merci for a great stay!

Jean-François Ouellet

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank JF_de_Montreal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Very good location. Very stylish rooms in which a lot of attention to detail has been placed. The room amenities, including the bathroom with large shower room is excellent. My only issue was the temperature control. I just couldnt get the heating down from 23.5c which made for a restless sleep.

The front desk staff's attention to issues was also evident. I had an issue with my corporate credit card, the card seemed to have lost its readibility, and had to use my personal card. Later, after I had checked in, the manager heard about this from her front desk and she personally called Amex to verify my card and manually put the charge on the corporate card. A nice touch.

Will definitely stay there again on next month's visit to Toronto.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Excellent location, excellent design elements in hotel, rooms are spacious and well thought out, attention to detail. Meeting rooms well setup. Had several meals at hotel, food was generally quite good, one meal poor quality. Excellent starting place to visit Toronto downtown with family.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor, no problem with noise with people leaving a sporting event next building. As...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Lyle C,

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, and that you were able to share the experience with your family.

If there is any particular feedback you would like to share with me regarding the meal that didn’t meet your expectations, I’m always open to seeing our product through our guests’ eyes.

Thanks for staying with us, and we will look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Toronto.

Murray Henderson
Director of Rooms Division
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were looking for a one night getaway in our own city and chose the Le Germaine – Maple Leaf Square as they had a package that had everything we wanted. (Night In Package)

Sharon, the concierge, contacted me a few days before our check in to ensure that all the details were taken care of, (including a personalized note to be left for my husband), and from the moment we arrived, everything was taken care of beautifully.

The room was lovely, the room service excellent (dinner and breakfast), and the service was outstanding.

In all, it was the perfect break from our everyday and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

From my first step into the hotel, I fell in love with this place. The staff here are so friendly and they are always willing to help. I stayed one night and will definitely be returning.

The sleep quality was impeccable, I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. I was kind of upset when I had to check-out and leave such a good mattress behind lol. The location of this hotel is great. My only issue was that it was hard to find a place to park the car in order to go check-in as there were taxis everywhere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

From the initial phone contact, to booking a Sports package for a Leafs game online, to check out after our stay, our experience with Le Germain MLS was top notch.

We had a standard room that was furnished with a comfortable king bed, luxury linens and had a fairly spacious set up. The Molton Brown toiletries and espresso machine are a nice touch. The package came with free breakfast and valet parking which, on an event night was much appreciated. Granted breakfast is a small selection of fruits, pastries, cereal and juice, but it was kept spotlessly clean and we felt the offerings were fine----with a lovely selection of teas for those of us who aren't coffee drinkers. The area is a light filled space on the second floor.

Before the game we had dinner at e11even the restaurant on site and all 4 of us really enjoyed the upbeat ambiance, the food and service. This was our second time at the restaurant and we still give it high marks. The skywalk to the ACC from the Maple Leaf complex was much appreciated on a rainy evening, and if there are no events, it's also a direct way to access the Path from the hotel. With key scans in the elevator, you can feel secure in the fact that people who aren't guests in the hotel cannot access guest areas---even during the day.

From the first contact by phone to our check out, we received nothing but warm, friendly, efficient and professional service. Especially if this is your first impression of Toronto, it doesn't get any better!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tobie
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Hi Tobie,

You really opted for the full experience! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. We’re very fortunate to have Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment as partners, and even luckier to have exclusive access to Leafs and Raptors tickets!!

I’m happy that you enjoyed every aspect of your trip to Toronto, and to have you as an ambassador for our wonderful city.

I will also share your positive feedback with our friends at E11even – they really are like an extension of our hotel, with superb food and wonderful service.

We look forward to welcoming to the hotel next time you’re in Toronto.

Thanks again for sharing your compliments.

Murray Henderson
Director of Rooms Division
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

This was my first stay at Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, but it certainly will not be my last. From the very beginning everything was perfect.

The young man at the desk was very friendly and called me by name throughout the process. I had book a deluxe room and asked if there might be a chance for an upgrade. After checking he indicated he could move me from my 600+ sq. ft. room to an executive suite at over 900 sq. ft. for an additional $50 per night. It proved to be money well spent. As a bonus at checkout, they reduced the upgrade charge to $25 per night without any request from me.

The room, while very modern, was very comfortable and well organized. The bath was terrific with great lighting, something often missing today.

Breakfast, which was included in the rate was fine, although nothing special, with assorted cold meats, bread items, and many fruits and cereals. I did not eat in the hotel restaurants, but the bar area seemed to busy all hours of the day and evening.

The best part, by far, was the attitude and helpfulness of the entire staff. Everyone smiled, often greeting me by name. The concierge--I wish I knew her name, was one of the very best with restaurant suggestions and helpful hints about going to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Try this hotel and you will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: As great as my room was, it did look directly into a wall of lighted business offices. I could see...