“perfect as always”

Ranked #5 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Ontario
“perfect as always”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I travel a fair bit with work and have stayed at numerous properties in Toronto (and am a fairly loyal Starwood client). G is the only hotel that makes me stray from a Sheraton or Westin and the points.

It's almost not fair to have to call it a "hotel". The overall experience is light years beyond anything that an equally priced Sheraton can serve up. Every detail is thought out, the rooms are fantastic and the customer service training their entire staff obviously receives (can they really be born that way??) should become mandatory in the services industry. Simply stated, Le Germaine makes me happy.

Room Tip: specify that you want the "glass shower box".
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DSteff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We spent a weekend in Toronto to see a Leafs game in February. This property is excellent, though we had some minor hiccups with our stay. I would have liked to be able to give it a 4.5 rating.

Positives:
The hotel is in an excellent location if you are attending an event at the ACC. There is indoor passage way to access the ACC from the hotel. Gregory and Susan, the concierges, booked dinner for us the evening for our arrival. We had to cancel our booking because our flight was delayed for about 4 hours and they took care of our cancellation for us. Upon our arrival, we were upgraded to a suite and there was a lovely fruit plate with a welcome note in our suite.

The bathroom is very spacious. Shower is excellent.

The property itself is lovely, modern, clean, and is well designed. There is no proper restaurant, but the bar serves excellent food (we had two meals there) and cocktails. The service in the bar was very good.

Breakfast, which was included in the rate, was adequate. Pastries, fruit, charcuterie, and porridge. We opted to breakfast elsewhere after the first morning.

Negatives:
We deliberately put on the 'service room now' light (it's a button in the room) when we left for the day on Saturday. We were gone for about 6+ hours, but our room was not serviced when we returned. We called down to ask for our room to be serviced when we left for dinner (we gave a specific time for our departure), but then someone showed up about a hour after our call as we were getting ready. They eventually did service our room after we left.

I had arranged for some beers to be waiting in our room upon our return from the game with the concierge several weeks prior to our stay. They were not there when we returned for the game. We opted to go have some drinks at the bar downstairs instead. When I asked the front desk receptionist about it, she acknowledged that it was in my record, but they had simply been forgotten. She apologised, but did not offer anything else. A small gesture, such as a complimentary cocktail or an offer to send the beers up later, would have been nice. I did receive an email from the concierge after our visit apologising for the oversight and offering an upgrade if we should stay in a Le Germain property in the future. Unfortunately, we do not often travel to the cities that Le Germain properties are in, so I do not know if we will be able to take advantage of the offer.

All in all, a lovely stay with just a few issues that prevents me for giving this a 5 star rating.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank darkhorse19
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear darkhorse 19,

Thanks for staying with us at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square. I’m glad you found the experience to be positive overall, but do apologize for the confusion regarding the beer and servicing of your room.

I have shared your comments with the Executive Housekeeper, who has taken the feedback to heart and will work with her team to sharpen their skills in identifying priorities such as yours. It’s a great reminder that we must always have our eyes open and remain alert.

As for the beer, I have spoken to the concierge and front desk teams, and they feel badly about the oversight. We truly hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again at one of our hotels. However, if there is another way that we can extend our apologies, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the hotel so we can discuss it.

We hope to see you again.

Murray Henderson
Director of Rooms Division
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Since I knew very little about Toronto prior to booking this most recent trip, I decided to turn to TripAdvisor in order to get the name of the Number One-rated hotel in the city. Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square certainly lives up to its ranking.

Before even setting foot in Canada I knew that we were in for a real treat this past weekend. While perusing the hotel's website, I noticed that they offer a "Shoot and Score" package which includes two tickets to a Toronto Maple Leafs hockey game as well as other little extras. One of said extras included a reservation at the Real Sports Bar and Grill following the game. The joint was jumping upon our arrival, and if we hadn't had a reservation, let alone a prime table right by the bar and the ginormous screens featuring various sports matches, we would have been cooling our heels for at least an hour. Even for a nonsports fan like myself, the Real Sports Bar and Grill has such a fun atmosphere and delicious food that I would highly recommend it to other nonsports fans.

Needless to say, the "Shoot and Score" package is a great choice for any hockey fan visiting Toronto (like my husband). And on really cold nights, there's even an enclosed walkway between the hotel and the ACC and the Real Sports bar -- no heading outside necessary!

Also, a couple of weeks before arriving in Toronto, I began e-mailing with the hotel's marvelous concierges, Susan and Gregory, who graciously helped me arrange a very memorable few days. They recommended points of interest, restaurants for dinner (and they even made the reservations for us) and they also arranged for us to have a delightful in-room massage upon our arrival (the massage therapists were both friendly and well-skilled in their craft. Definitely a highlight of the trip).

Susan and Gregory were two for two when it came to dinner recommendations. Both our meals at Origin and Enoteca Sociale were absolutely delicious, and we never would have known about either restaurant had it not been for our concierges.

Everything about this hotel was spectacular -- from the convenient location (it's right next to the Air Canada Centre, which is where the hockey game took place) to the impeccable, friendly service from everyone we encountered. We were thrilled to meet Gregory in person, who recognized my name immediately upon our arrival. He even went so far as to bring up a tray of tea and snacks following our massages. True class.

The room itself was better than we could have imagined. The mattresses and pillows were so incredibly soft that I probably got better sleep during a 20-minute power nap than I usually do on a given night at home. The sleek decor and rainfall shower were a real treat -- except I had to keep remembering to draw the blinds on the shower since it's technically part of the room! Another cool amenity is instead of leaving a "Privacy Please" or "Please Make Up the Room" tag outside the door, there is a light switch panel next to the bed. If you hit "Privacy," a small red light illuminates outside your room. If you hit "Make Up Room," a green light illumniates and the housekeeping staff knows they can tidy up.

The Play Lounge, which is the bar in the hotel, was a perfect place to cap off each evening of our stay, as it was small and quiet with yummy drinks and smiling waitstaff.

My only, only complaint about our stay is that the breakfast (which was included in our rate) was a little disappointing. The pastries were stale, the selection is limited, and the coffee didn't taste good (thank heavens for a Tim Hortons on almost every corner). There is a coffee maker in the room, but it only made espresso -- since we prefer regular coffee over espresso, I'd like to suggest Le Germain Maple Leaf Square consider switching out espresso makers for coffee makers. Rest assured that these quibbles certainly wouldn't deter me from returing to Le Germain Maple Leaf Square upon my next visit.

As this is a boutique hotel chain in Canada, it seems to me it remains a bit of a secret to my fellow Americans. Here's hoping this review will bring more stateside visitors into the realm of this magnificent hotel chain.

Again, a spectacular experience overall.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bonosgirl
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Bonosgirl,

News of your review spread quickly amongst the staff because you did such an excellent job at complimenting everyone. Thanks very much! We’re so glad that you had a great first experience in Toronto, and were happy to be part of it.

Also, we have shared your comments with our friends from Real Sports Bar & Grill and we are all very happy you enjoyed its buzz.

Feel free to spill the beans about your new-found Canadian secret. I can assure you that we’ll provide a great experience to everyone you tell!

For your next visit, we can certainly ensure that there is a drip coffee machine in your room. We also have a couple of options for coffee in the breakfast room, so we’ll ensure that you find your favourite.

We’re looking forward to your next trip to Toronto – there are hundreds of more restaurants to recommend!

Thanks again for staying with us.

Murray Henderson
Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I have stayed at many hotels in Toronto and this is the best one so far! The room was huge and luxurious with many added details; walk-in closet, separate tub and shower to name a few. Upgrade to a suite if the option is available for longer stays. The location is very convenient and the staff was very helpful with dinner recommendations and bookings. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for outside room for better view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kjtravel_12
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 25 March 2012 via mobile

Gregory the concierge was amazing. He Managed to help us with all our requests and bookings during our short stay in toronto. The hotel was modern and clean. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The view was alright considering the hotel is a mere 8 floors compared to the tall buildings surrounding. This hotel exceeded our expectations and can not wait to return.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank BermudaPeach
Montréal, Qc
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was in Toronto on business for 4 days and stayed 3 nights here. I'd booked my trip -- flight + hotel -- on Expedia.

On the morning following my 1st night there, I sent for breakfast and was surprised to be told that the rate I got did not include breakfast. I had a very light meal and the waiter said he wouldn't charge me for the whole buffet but rather à la carte de couple of toasts I had. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact that I find it somewhat "cheap" that any luxury hotel would charge you over and above for every little thing, from Internet access to in-room coffee to breakfast. (To be clear, this hotel charged for none of this -- except, in my case, breakfast -- and had bottles of water and green apples available at every floor.) So I tweeted this before going out.

When I got back to my room, I found a very personalized letter **en français!** from the hotel manager, thanking me (!) for posting a comment on Twitter. The letter explained that the hotel currently ran two rates -- that is, with and without breakfast -- and that Expedia rates were of the latter type. The letter mentioned that soon, all rates would include breakfast. But the letter also included information about a deal this chain has in place with my organization (which means they actually did some background research on me!) and concluded with a pledge to offer me free breakfast for the remainder of my stay.

Wow.

Some would call this customer empowerment, or a good exemple of service failure recovery (and the paradox that comes with it).

I just call it outstanding service.

This hotel may be as clean, well-located, and nicely decorated, these are all basic factors to me. What will keep me going back to it from now on is its human, personal touch.

Merci for a great stay!

Jean-François Ouellet

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank JF_de_Montreal
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Very good location. Very stylish rooms in which a lot of attention to detail has been placed. The room amenities, including the bathroom with large shower room is excellent. My only issue was the temperature control. I just couldnt get the heating down from 23.5c which made for a restless sleep.

The front desk staff's attention to issues was also evident. I had an issue with my corporate credit card, the card seemed to have lost its readibility, and had to use my personal card. Later, after I had checked in, the manager heard about this from her front desk and she personally called Amex to verify my card and manually put the charge on the corporate card. A nice touch.

Will definitely stay there again on next month's visit to Toronto.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business