“Fails to disappoint!!”

Ranked #5 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
vancouver
“Fails to disappoint!!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed at the Le Germain Maple Leaf in mid March for two days while in Toronto on business.

I have to say the Le Germain chains are by far, hands down, my favourite places to stay. I have been to three so far, the other in Toronto and Calgary. They are all similar but unique in their own ways.

The Maple Leaf has to be the nicest I have stayed in so far (I think the newest?). The room layout is perfection: large, well appointed, sparkling clean, extremely comfortable bed with nice linens, very well designed, great lighting, minibar, I could go on. The breakfast which is included in the price is very good quality.

Its in a great location but if you do arrive close to when games get out of the arenas then be prepared to get through a mass of traffic- and hooting and hollering (hockey fans!!). But once inside you shouldn't notice a thing...but in the event you do and are trying to fall asleep- hey there is a pair of earplugs in a cute little box just for you! They think of everything.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was our first visit to Toronto, Canada infact. We were certainly not disappointed with Le Germain, from the receptionists to the people in the breakfast buffet. We liked the bar staff - particularly the man that tried to explain ice hockey!!!

The hotel was very clean and tidy; anything that was needed was delivered to the room very quickly and with a smile. The bed was probably the most comfortable that I have every slept on. We would certainly stay again if we come back to Toronto.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kay D
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 April 2012

On the 29th of March 2012, I made a reservation at this hotel on the phone, They took my card details, booked me but never sent me confirmation

I rang back the hotel on the 2nd and the 3rd of April but was told ''no confirmation was found'', left 2 voicemails to the general manager, he ignored me until I sent emails to the Germain Group Management level

I received phone call from the GM on the 4th of April around 10pm local time in London asking my credit card details ''again'' and assuring me to get back to me in 15 minutes with the confirmation of my reservation

I clearly informed him that my company would contribute towards my accommodation cost as long as they get the confirmation before the deadline 10am 5th of April 2012. He promised to sent it in 15 minutes

an hour later I received an email from GM saying there was a ''concern'' on my card

I rang my credit card bank twice and was told that a guy called from Le Germain Maple Leaf same day before lunch around 11am, informed them that I am not a real person and asked my back further information about my details, Bank refused to give them any information

£500 has been fraudelently taken off from my card same second
somebody rang them pretended Umut Baz but he was not and he is commiting fraud,

They did not only damaged my clear reputation at my bank, they also caused me financial loss. They stole money from my card.

I am currently taking them to the Province Court in Toronto and I want to share this experience to the general public

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank elifeamsterdam
PdLD, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear elifeamsterdam,

I am truly sorry that you were dissatisfied while dealing with us at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square.

We pride ourselves on consistently acting with integrity, ensuring that the best interest of our guests is always top-of-mind. This extends to potential guests of the hotel. As a credit card merchant, we are responsible for adhering to regulations set out by banks and credit card companies. The latter also have services set up for us to confirm remotely the validity of attempted use of cards over the phone.

We performed a routine verification of name and number match and were informed by a representative at your bank that they would contact you directly, which your review indicates that they did. Our intention at all times was to ensure that no fraud was being committed. At no time did we make any attempt to perform any transactions on the account itself.

In our experience, making a pro-active phone call is preferable over having to react when someone discovers an unauthorised transaction on their account.

On behalf of the entire hotel, I am sorry that circumstances prevented you from staying with us.

Best regards,

Paul de La Durantaye
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Unfortunately, I only stayed for one night, and i checked in late and out early. I could have spent days here! The room was modern and comfortable. I loved the decor. The bed was wonderful. The bathroom was huge with a nice big dressing area. The shower was wonderful. After a long day at work, it was such a relief to finally check into the room. I could have never left! If I go back to Toronto again, I will stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mack09
Ontario
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I travel a fair bit with work and have stayed at numerous properties in Toronto (and am a fairly loyal Starwood client). G is the only hotel that makes me stray from a Sheraton or Westin and the points.

It's almost not fair to have to call it a "hotel". The overall experience is light years beyond anything that an equally priced Sheraton can serve up. Every detail is thought out, the rooms are fantastic and the customer service training their entire staff obviously receives (can they really be born that way??) should become mandatory in the services industry. Simply stated, Le Germaine makes me happy.

Room Tip: specify that you want the "glass shower box".
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DSteff
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We spent a weekend in Toronto to see a Leafs game in February. This property is excellent, though we had some minor hiccups with our stay. I would have liked to be able to give it a 4.5 rating.

Positives:
The hotel is in an excellent location if you are attending an event at the ACC. There is indoor passage way to access the ACC from the hotel. Gregory and Susan, the concierges, booked dinner for us the evening for our arrival. We had to cancel our booking because our flight was delayed for about 4 hours and they took care of our cancellation for us. Upon our arrival, we were upgraded to a suite and there was a lovely fruit plate with a welcome note in our suite.

The bathroom is very spacious. Shower is excellent.

The property itself is lovely, modern, clean, and is well designed. There is no proper restaurant, but the bar serves excellent food (we had two meals there) and cocktails. The service in the bar was very good.

Breakfast, which was included in the rate, was adequate. Pastries, fruit, charcuterie, and porridge. We opted to breakfast elsewhere after the first morning.

Negatives:
We deliberately put on the 'service room now' light (it's a button in the room) when we left for the day on Saturday. We were gone for about 6+ hours, but our room was not serviced when we returned. We called down to ask for our room to be serviced when we left for dinner (we gave a specific time for our departure), but then someone showed up about a hour after our call as we were getting ready. They eventually did service our room after we left.

I had arranged for some beers to be waiting in our room upon our return from the game with the concierge several weeks prior to our stay. They were not there when we returned for the game. We opted to go have some drinks at the bar downstairs instead. When I asked the front desk receptionist about it, she acknowledged that it was in my record, but they had simply been forgotten. She apologised, but did not offer anything else. A small gesture, such as a complimentary cocktail or an offer to send the beers up later, would have been nice. I did receive an email from the concierge after our visit apologising for the oversight and offering an upgrade if we should stay in a Le Germain property in the future. Unfortunately, we do not often travel to the cities that Le Germain properties are in, so I do not know if we will be able to take advantage of the offer.

All in all, a lovely stay with just a few issues that prevents me for giving this a 5 star rating.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank darkhorse19
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear darkhorse 19,

Thanks for staying with us at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square. I’m glad you found the experience to be positive overall, but do apologize for the confusion regarding the beer and servicing of your room.

I have shared your comments with the Executive Housekeeper, who has taken the feedback to heart and will work with her team to sharpen their skills in identifying priorities such as yours. It’s a great reminder that we must always have our eyes open and remain alert.

As for the beer, I have spoken to the concierge and front desk teams, and they feel badly about the oversight. We truly hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again at one of our hotels. However, if there is another way that we can extend our apologies, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the hotel so we can discuss it.

We hope to see you again.

Murray Henderson
Director of Rooms Division
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Since I knew very little about Toronto prior to booking this most recent trip, I decided to turn to TripAdvisor in order to get the name of the Number One-rated hotel in the city. Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square certainly lives up to its ranking.

Before even setting foot in Canada I knew that we were in for a real treat this past weekend. While perusing the hotel's website, I noticed that they offer a "Shoot and Score" package which includes two tickets to a Toronto Maple Leafs hockey game as well as other little extras. One of said extras included a reservation at the Real Sports Bar and Grill following the game. The joint was jumping upon our arrival, and if we hadn't had a reservation, let alone a prime table right by the bar and the ginormous screens featuring various sports matches, we would have been cooling our heels for at least an hour. Even for a nonsports fan like myself, the Real Sports Bar and Grill has such a fun atmosphere and delicious food that I would highly recommend it to other nonsports fans.

Needless to say, the "Shoot and Score" package is a great choice for any hockey fan visiting Toronto (like my husband). And on really cold nights, there's even an enclosed walkway between the hotel and the ACC and the Real Sports bar -- no heading outside necessary!

Also, a couple of weeks before arriving in Toronto, I began e-mailing with the hotel's marvelous concierges, Susan and Gregory, who graciously helped me arrange a very memorable few days. They recommended points of interest, restaurants for dinner (and they even made the reservations for us) and they also arranged for us to have a delightful in-room massage upon our arrival (the massage therapists were both friendly and well-skilled in their craft. Definitely a highlight of the trip).

Susan and Gregory were two for two when it came to dinner recommendations. Both our meals at Origin and Enoteca Sociale were absolutely delicious, and we never would have known about either restaurant had it not been for our concierges.

Everything about this hotel was spectacular -- from the convenient location (it's right next to the Air Canada Centre, which is where the hockey game took place) to the impeccable, friendly service from everyone we encountered. We were thrilled to meet Gregory in person, who recognized my name immediately upon our arrival. He even went so far as to bring up a tray of tea and snacks following our massages. True class.

The room itself was better than we could have imagined. The mattresses and pillows were so incredibly soft that I probably got better sleep during a 20-minute power nap than I usually do on a given night at home. The sleek decor and rainfall shower were a real treat -- except I had to keep remembering to draw the blinds on the shower since it's technically part of the room! Another cool amenity is instead of leaving a "Privacy Please" or "Please Make Up the Room" tag outside the door, there is a light switch panel next to the bed. If you hit "Privacy," a small red light illuminates outside your room. If you hit "Make Up Room," a green light illumniates and the housekeeping staff knows they can tidy up.

The Play Lounge, which is the bar in the hotel, was a perfect place to cap off each evening of our stay, as it was small and quiet with yummy drinks and smiling waitstaff.

My only, only complaint about our stay is that the breakfast (which was included in our rate) was a little disappointing. The pastries were stale, the selection is limited, and the coffee didn't taste good (thank heavens for a Tim Hortons on almost every corner). There is a coffee maker in the room, but it only made espresso -- since we prefer regular coffee over espresso, I'd like to suggest Le Germain Maple Leaf Square consider switching out espresso makers for coffee makers. Rest assured that these quibbles certainly wouldn't deter me from returing to Le Germain Maple Leaf Square upon my next visit.

As this is a boutique hotel chain in Canada, it seems to me it remains a bit of a secret to my fellow Americans. Here's hoping this review will bring more stateside visitors into the realm of this magnificent hotel chain.

Again, a spectacular experience overall.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bonosgirl
MDHenderson, Director of Rooms Division at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Bonosgirl,

News of your review spread quickly amongst the staff because you did such an excellent job at complimenting everyone. Thanks very much! We’re so glad that you had a great first experience in Toronto, and were happy to be part of it.

Also, we have shared your comments with our friends from Real Sports Bar & Grill and we are all very happy you enjoyed its buzz.

Feel free to spill the beans about your new-found Canadian secret. I can assure you that we’ll provide a great experience to everyone you tell!

For your next visit, we can certainly ensure that there is a drip coffee machine in your room. We also have a couple of options for coffee in the breakfast room, so we’ll ensure that you find your favourite.

We’re looking forward to your next trip to Toronto – there are hundreds of more restaurants to recommend!

Thanks again for staying with us.

Murray Henderson