“Ethiopian Gem of a Restaurant”
Review of Ethiopiques Restaurant - CLOSED

Ethiopiques Restaurant
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Serving: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Coffee, Tea, Take out, Delivery & Catering. Enat Buna Café - an innovative Ethiopian Fusion café serving various Ethiopian dishes and ones practically modified to fit a fast lifestyle. Come get your hit-the-spot breakfast, on-the-run lunch or chill-out dinner in vegan, meat or gluten-free options. Top it with your favourite Ethiopian coffee or tea and a little treat. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram at @EnatBuna to take part in Special Offers. BACKGROUND: Ethiopiques has moved to a new location under the name, Enat Buna Café as of May 2018 since our previous site is going to be redeveloped. Thanks to our patrons for all the support through the years. Check us out at Enat Buna Café at 175 Queen St East (at Jarvis). We continue to serve our Ethiopiques menu expanded to include delicious healthy and fast breakfast and lunch under same ownership and chef.
Reviewed May 22, 2017 via mobile

An intimate little restaurant owned by an Ethiopian couple who couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful.There is a good variety of options on the menu, which the host will happily explain. The food we had was delicious and spicy (you can ask them to tone it down)...pork, beef, chicken arrive on a large platter with Ethiopian bread that you use to scoop up the food...no utensils. Very authentic. If people are sharing the same dish, I believe you have all three meat choices.
There is also a coffee ceremony but it can only be ordered if there are at least 3 or 4 people ordering coffee and you have to let them know 30 minutes ahead of time because it takes some time to do. They actually roast the beans once you order the coffee and bring them out to show you so you can smell the wonderful aroma. It is served in traditional Ethopian coffee pots.
Absolutely loved this place, the food and the whole experience.

enat g, Manager at Ethiopiques Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2017

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback!!
We only have beef lamb chicken and vegetarian
We don't have pork.

Thank you very much again!!

Reviewed May 20, 2017 via mobile

Well what can I say about this place. The hosts were amazing and incredibly knowledgeable about food allergies. We had the meat and veggies platter for 3 people. The combination of spicy, sweet and salty dishes where perfectly compliment by the GF injera. No forks or spoons required. I would recommend this place every time. It is a small and quiet, perfect for a casual place of conversation with family or friends. Well done.

enat g, Owner at Ethiopiques Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2017

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback !!!

Reviewed May 17, 2017 via mobile

Went to Ethiopiques Restaurant for Mother's Day. First, they did not have our reservation. Then my husband and I ordered the platter for 2 and they served it to us ICE COLD. Then they tried to blame the food turning cold as a result of me washing my hands. We didn't get our drinks or napkins until the very end. The food looked NOTHING like how they displayed it on Instagram or their website. Overall, terrible experience. Not worth the money. I do not recommend.

1  Thank Kay J

We are very sorry for your experience!!
I hope you give us another chance in the future
We will love to treat you for dinner

Just email me info@ethiopiques.ca
Whenever you decide to come
My name is Enat

Reviewed May 11, 2017

This was my first time trying Ethiopian food! It was delicious.. spicy but not too spicy, tasty, cooked to perfection. The service was excellent!

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback!!

Reviewed April 29, 2017

This is an Ethiopian restaurant at the corner of Church and Dundas, just a few blocks east of the Eaton Centre. It was recommended to a member of our group of eight or so, and we were all interested in trying something different.

It is in a modest space just south of Dundas on the east side of Church. The menu was not long, with a mix of main dishes and appetizers. Prices were very reasonable, with most entrées less than twenty dollars.

Ethiopiques has wine but not beer for some reason.

The practice is to not use cutlery for eating, rather diners are supplied with a very interesting spongy style of bread which is used to pick up your food. The bread is very tasty.

I ordered a lentil soup (around $7) for a starter and had chicken stew ($14), described on the menu as the national dish of Ethiopia. Others had a range of dishes, and there are vegetarian and gluten-free options. They also have what appear to be the Ethiopian equivalent of samosas. I sampled part of one, and it was extremely good.

The soup was really delicious. It was noticeably spicy but not in an overwhelming way. I also enjoyed the chicken stew, which is served with a rich dark sauce. Interestingly, this dish is served with a whole boiled egg. The stew also was spicy but again not overwhelmingly so.

Everyone enjoyed their meals, and found them very filling.

I do not know much about Ethiopian food and cannot compare this one to other Ethiopian restaurants, but I do know that the food was excellent.

I would be happy to go back - something I fully intend to do, and will be happy to recommend it to others.