“Excellent Service ”
Review of Toca

Toca
Reserve with OpenTable
Toca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #178 of 8,947 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$31 - US$51
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Transit: St. Andrew (King) Subway station
Description: TOCA offers handcrafted Italian cuisine complemented by seasonal flavours and locally-sourced produce. Located in the heart of Toronto's Performing Arts & Theatre District, TOCA occupies the mezzanine level of The Ritz-Carlton hotel. TOCA is proud to collaborate with Chef Oliver Glowig, one of Rome's most celebrated culinary leaders.
Reviewed 19 January 2016 via mobile

Great charcuterie plate! Great service. Anything connected to the Ritz should be expected but waiters were above and beyond. Wonderful veal with a 2008 armilla

Bastian G, Manager at Toca, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2016

Dear AtrainOH,

Thank you very much for posting this lovely review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your experience at TOCA, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2016

We came for a birthday celebration dinner and overall the waiter, menu, and main course was uninspiring and lacked creativity. Our first course was good, no complaints there. We had fois gras and butternut squash soup but our start was a bit rocky. It happened with our waiter basically insulted our wine selection, probably because he did not know his own wine menu and we needed to clarify the bottle we selected. It was a backhanded comment that with was a "entry level" bottle, which I don't think he intended it to be that way but it does go to show you that you need to think about word choice.

On to our main course, we both had pasta and both plates were just boring. They lacked layers of flavor and creativity. We also felt really rushed as they quickly served our food and cleared our table. We were enjoying our bottle of wine and being asked about desert. I felt like we were at a chain restaurant trying to turn tables. So then we finally get to the last of our wine and had to hail down the waiter for the desert menu.

So I love my desert and this menu was unappealing at best so I skipped this course entirely. And here are my two cents, the table beside us ordered a deconstructed tiramisu. If that had of arrived at my table I would have been upset! It was probably about three bites and looked ridiculous. There are some things that you just do not deconstruct or if you do then come up with something really spectacular. To be fair we did have a cheese sampler and that was good and the cheese room is a unique feature to this restaurant.

Overall we liked the atmosphere but a few points for the restaurant. First train your staff as they should know your menu and wine basics (TOCA does have a sommelier but she only came over to open our bottle... no commentary at all). Second, revisit your menu because it's plan Jane (sorry to all the Jane's out there). For a restaurant at this price point and located in the Ritz-Carlton you need to do better; I don't want a pound of flesh (veal chop) but I do expect excellent flavor, texture and some wow dishes. The food was good but not memorable.

1  Thank Derek W
Bastian G, Manager at Toca, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2016

Dear Derek W,

I am sorry to hear that your recent experience at TOCA was not as expected. Kindly contact me directly at (416) 572-8012 or via e-mail at bastian.germer@ritzcarlton.com. Thank you.

Reviewed 16 January 2016

I have had more bad experiences at the so-called high-end restaurants than other restaurants, so did not come here with high expectations. I was very pleasantly surprised. What blew me away were their delectable wine and cheese boards as well as the desserts. The main course (I had bread-crusted black cod) was not shabby at all, but the wine, cheese and dessert offerings were to die for. The servers were very attentive and too great care to ensure that our large party was served simultaneously. Of course, cannot afford this frequently, but good place to treat yourself once a year!

Bastian G, Manager at Toca, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2016

Dear SMP1212,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to post this review.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent experience at TOCA, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto in the near future.

Reviewed 16 January 2016

Okay simply one of the best!
You can have a private dining table with a tasting menu or you can come with a friend or if you want a group of business associates it will be absolutely great. Their cheese room is exquisite amazing different cheeses as well a great wine list. The staff are one of the best teams who will make sure you have a great time and all your requests are taking care of. The culinary team is one of the best with great food presentation which will speak and taste as good as they look!

Bastian G, Manager at Toca, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2016

Dear Jay M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this wonderful review.

I look forward to sharing your comments with our Ladies & Gentlemen, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to TOCA very soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2015

You will pay for a breakfast here and it will be great. The service and food were excellent! I will be back.

3  Thank Paul S
Bastian G, Manager at Toca, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2015

Dear Paul S,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post reviews for both the hotel and TOCA.

We look forward to welcoming you back.