“Gorgeous boutique hotel”

Ranked #13 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Burlington, Canada
“Gorgeous boutique hotel”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

If I could describe this hotel in one word, it would be 'cool'. The interior is full of exposed brick, original art and hardwood floors. It fits right in with the Queen West area. My boyfriend and I were upgraded to a king suite, which was beautiful. Large windows, king size bed and stunning bathroom. The service was excellent. Really friendly and attentive staff. At the end of the night when we came back to our rooms dead tired, the barman was kind enough to give us complimentary cokes. It was a small gesture, but it went a long way. It's all in the details. The only criticism that I have is that while I loved the open concept of our room, I wish this hadn't been extended to the toilet. Regardless, for me the service made up for this inconvenience and I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a very small boutique hotel that's friendly and funky. They made me feel at home for a short stay and when I left my (computer) mouse behind, they cheerfully mailed it back to me, even though it was international mail. i've unfortunately left things behind at hotels before and they always "disappear." This is not some anonymous place -- the owners' passion shows through.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Leah H
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I love this place. Hotel Ocho gave me exactly what I needed, an exquisitely quiet room in a funky boutique hotel -- along with the perfect balance of thoughtful attentiveness and personal space, without the faintest whiff of grasping servitude or fake corporate bonhomie.

When I called at midnight to say that my flight was delayed six hours, they knew exactly who I was and when I arrived exhausted at 6am I was given a warm sympathetic welcome and a late check-out without question. My room had bare brick walls, windows that opened, a thoughtful layout and a comfy bed.

When I crawled out of bed in the early afternoon, I was delighted to find that the cafe downstairs had excellent espresso, free wi-fi and and natural sun-light: just what I needed to jump start my day.

And finally, when I checked out, I was delighted to see that the price of my stay included no surprises - except that it was so reasonable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Thinkwire
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My girlfriend and I recently stayed there for a quick night.

The Ocho is a hip looking boutique hotel. While it doesn't have all the frills that a bigger one would provide, we do appreciate the more intimate feel of a small hotel. Service was great, as all the staff were friendly and helpful.

We went to the restaurant downstairs for desserts and coffee. Dimly lit with candles on the table, it's a nice place for a date or just a drink with friends.

The rooms were, as most have said, a bit on the minimalist side, but that was fine by us. Everything was clean and tidy, bed was comfortable and the large shower was a joy to use. The only downside is that the work desk was a little small, and it can be a little loud when the heat kicks in.

Overall, it's a great place to stay, at a great location. And since we got the room at a significantly cheaper price (they had a sale) than the similar calibre hotels in the area, even better!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelvin M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed here for three night last weekend on a quick trip to Toronto - and had a great time! The reno is tasteful and maintains the traditional brick and wood of the warehouse while feeling clean and modern, if a little unfinished in areas. Location is fabulous between downtown entertainment, Queen shopping, and College or Kensington dining. The bathroom was large and the bed was comfortable. The Queen room was quite tight with the bed in the middle of the room and with only one chair, so it is not a place to hang out...unless you are horizontal. But, the main, and big plus, was the comfortable lounge/restaurant area downstairs which truly extended the usable space. We spent a whole afternoon and evening working on a project with laptops and felt completely comfortable, getting service as needed but never pressured to move-on. This atmosphere made it feel much more hospitable and friendly than most hotels - and for this I will return. Also, as others have commented, some of the services are a little more haphazard than you would expect in most hotels. In terms of both design and staff we felt like we had stepped into a buzzing start-up IT firm run by lots of young and hip 30-somethings. But they are enthusiastic and friendly, which more than made up for the odd unchanged towel etc. in my books - but is certainly not for everyone. All in all we were extremely satisfied for the $150ish a night deal, but I would certainly not pay the regular $300 rate that was listed until they work out the kinks.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MontyKTown
Belfast
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Toronto is not a cheap place to stay, so we found that Hotel Ocho offered good value for money in comparison with other Boutique Hotels in the area. We stayed for 4 nights and were upgraded to a King Suite, which we were very grateful for after a long journey. It was spacious and spotlessly clean with an amazingly comfortable bed and soft bed linen. Staff were all lovely and laid back which suits us well.

The hotel is situated on the edge of China Town which is within 20 minutes walk of Toronto City Centre or the CN Tower - very easy to get around on foot.

The only reason i haven't given a rating of 5 is due to the patchy Wifi (which is great when it works ) and the breakfast which was a bit hit and miss - stodgy breads, coffee and maybe some fruit. Not very reliable or nutritious but could easily be remedied with the inclusion of some cereal for example.

All in all, we would definitely return and would recommend anyone thinking of booking to do the same.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed one night for business – Great location, on Spadina/Queen St West (Close to Toronto City Center Airport)
This petit boutique hotel (12 rooms only) has much going for it. The staff was friendly. Great modern loft/ warehouse design, the bed was very comfortable, the room was spacious and the ambient light.
Staying for longer period of time there are no dressers, very little space to hang clothes, no in-room coffee, and had difficulties getting internet service in the room. Personally loved the open concept bathroom but only had a shower no tub.
Had lunch and an after work snacks and bottle of wine in restaurant – staff friendly and helpful. Downside no breakfast (ended up at McDonald’s down the street).
Would definitely stay again – it would be even better with breakfast service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business