“Rude and disrespectful staff...”

Patisserie La Cigogne
Ranked #40 of 135 Bakeries in Toronto
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: East York
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

I went for a breakfast here after previously walking in the rain in the park. I ordered a pastry and a drink and ate it there. After I was finished, I went to the register to order more pastries to go.

The server was very rude and disrespectful. I did say "excuse me" to get her attention but at some point she was upset and said that she heard me and she only had two ears to listen and she was talking to her colleague. She even tried to say that it is common sense to not talking to her when she was still talking to other. I tried to explain that I was not aware that she heard me and the second time I said "excuse me" was when I thought she had finished talking to her colleague.

I always like the pastries and I do not mind waiting. I went here from time to time and had never had this kind of service. So disappointed..

Reviewed 29 September 2016

On the Danforth ,now having to compete with a Starbucks on the other corner maybe not so busy as it was .Friendly staff who are efficient .The cheese and ham crossiant is very tasty.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

Such a cute little patisserie located in a busy lively neighborhood. I immediately loved the interior decor and the vibe emanating from this place. 'old is gold' couldn't have been more appropriate to describe the overall setting. La Cigogne offers a wide variety of pastries and cold sandwiches as well as quiches, along coffee/tea and cold beverages. I ordered the baguette with brie, apple and cucumber which was perfect and drank some coffee while gazing at the passerby. The terrace reminded me of the cafe trottoire concept in Paris. Shame that it was too hot to sit outside. I would recommend to anyone to try this place for lunch or for some cake and tea/coffee. You will not regret it. Trust me.
Very much recommended

Reviewed 19 August 2016

You can eat here, and the tables are fine for a quick snack. But this is truly a pastry and bakery. The croissants are perhaps among the best in the city. The eclairs and others are divine. So, look, buy and take home to enjoy. Come early, as they sell out.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

I wish I could put into words...
To start with, I became enamoured with Opera cakes when working as an assistant to a high class patissier in the French Alps so perhaps I am a bit too harsh as a critic but I was so disappointed by the lack of authenticity (and quality). Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying two pieces and I am dreading eating the second one. They didn't go my preferred route of having a coffee cream layer and a chocolate cream. The cream layer was far too thick: the point of having a "layered" cake is that the taste of each level should be present equally. It also tasted slightly off, though I don't know if it was simply due to the canadian dairy products, but I suspect they added some sort of jellifying/thickening agent to the cream. And worst of all, it was way too sweet to be properly french. This North American attitude towards adding extra sugar to everything is disgusting.
I also bought a disappointing baguette. It was a bit on the thin side but that is the style in some places. What really bothered me was the density to it. It had almost an half-hearted Italian feel (I also swear I tasted a hint of olive oil). The outside of a baguette should be tough yes but not so much the inside. I bought it at the end of the day so perhaps it was slightly stale but for baguette to go stale that quickly is a little worrisome.

I give two stars because the coffee was decent (though the self serve did make me raise an eyebrow).