“Pretty good but not great”
Review of La Societe

La Societe
Reserve with OpenTable
La Societe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #957 of 8,569 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: East of Avenue & University
Carmel, CA
“Pretty good but not great”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Le Societe is a good bet for quasi-French food. Service was fast, food was very good and the atmosphere is corporate French. Not genuine, but very nice. It would be a good place to take clients.

• Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely upscale French Bistro/Brasserie”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I don’t know that I would call this place a bistro because it is a very large restaurant hence it feeling more like a brasserie. That being said, the decor is beautiful and really does evoke that French / Parisian atmosphere that I was hoping for – the tiles floors are simply stunning!

I showed up on a Saturday night with 5 of my friends and they were able to seat us no problem – not that the place wasn’t busy but they were very accommodating. The high level of service continued throughout the meal with 2 different servers tending to us the whole time.

We were seated at a spacious banquet in the bar area where all the action is. The food here is very good and is indeed French inspired. We kicked off our meal with a plate of oysters served with one the best mignonettes I have ever had, fresh horseradish and lemon. I am not sure what possessed me to order pasta as my main (it was a bit disappointing) but my appetizer of Scotch Barley soup was amazing. My friend had the slow cooked flat iron steak as her main and it was divine! Perfectly cooked and still medium rare. Another notable appetizer is the French onion soup overflowing with gooey cheese. The wine list is largely French and can get expensive but there are some good choices in the $40 range – we ordered a couple bottles of Reserve Perrin Cote-du-Rhone which suited our meals perfectly.

One sour note: trying to make a reservation here is impossible - they never answer their phone and do not call back when you leave a message. They might want to address this as it is poor customer service

Overall I really enjoyed myself here and cannot wait to dine here again!

1 Thank TOFood-TravelChick
“Far too much hype!”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Far too noisy!. We had to shout to speak to one another! Very much like a cafeteria!! Rushed, with many waiters talking up our plates before we had even finished!!! Did they want our table???!!!! Food was average nothing over the top. Definitely won't be back again!! Location and name has taken it to where it is and that's it.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank CruiseWhere
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Not really a French bistro”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

First, the food. It was well prepared and served by enthusiastic and responsive servers. Both my spouse and I had the saffron mussels which were excellently prepared in ample portions. Lots of fresh, crunchy French bread and full-on butter were served on the side. This being said, do not think this is anything like a French bistro.

Upon entering the restaurant, the din of diners is apparent. The word bistro evokes a small, intimate, family operation with intimacy. This venue atmosphere is more like a noisy sports bar. The flashy tile floor, glassed ceiling and large picture windows give rise to much sound reverberation. Intimate conversation is impossible.

There are better French bistro-style restaurants in town. This relative newcomer probably just needs to change its name and drop the 'bistro'.

Toronto, Canada
“Too upmarket to be called a Bistro”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Good food and good ingredients. Steak frites were done very well (NOT well-done), cassoulet and mac and cheese were OK, pate and desserts were good. To call this a bistro, though, may not be accurate. While the decor was certainly accurate, everything was too upscale to be called a bistro, but given the location, understandable.