“Best dinner of our trip”
Review of African Palace

African Palace
Ranked #1,359 of 9,177 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Neighbourhood: West End
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed July 10, 2017

Great Ethiopian food and wonderful staff at a hard-to-beat price. Definitely worth the trip out of the main tourist area.

Reviewed June 24, 2017

This is the place to come for extremely tasty and outstandingly good value Ethiopian/Eritrean food that you eat with your fingers. It's a small, fully licensed restaurant on Bloor West at Dovercourt. You get platters (meat or vegetarian) which are enough for two or more people to share. A platter is a large circle of spongy teff injera flatbread with a number of different food items on top. You rip off pieces of injera with your fingers, fold the various platter items (including salad) into them, and eat. There's no sign of cutlery and no need for it. Note: the place isn't air-conditioned and they don't take cards.

Reviewed March 26, 2017

Nice food ..very similar spices , lentils to the indian palate .. food form a distant mother !! big platters with a variety .. i feel it is nutritionally well balanced .

Reviewed January 21, 2017

It was my first time trying Ethiopian food and I love it! I ordered the vegetarian platter and my friend ordered the meat platter. The platters are quite large. I couldn't finish all my food, so I would recommend sharing a platter for 2 people.

I also like eating with my hands, but it does get kind of messy.

I like how they give you an extra plate of injera because I didn't have enough for picking up my food. The injera does get soggy if you leave the food on top of it for too long, since it absorbs all the moisture.

I loved everything on my platter. It was all flavourful with a hint of spice, which made it more enjoyable.

Reviewed December 17, 2016

2/3 guests arrived, waitress/owner on hearing third was expected, ignored us presumably waiting until friend showed up? Had to go to kitchen to flag service for appetizers & drinks while waiting. The veggie samosas and single dipping sauce were delicious.
Ordered for all three of us. When second wave of food arrived we put in a few more drinks orders. Never saw a server again, even after third member of party arrived. No water for her, no acknowledgment our table existed. It became a sociological experiment to see how long this situation would last.
Eventually stopped the only other server to get bill after which original woman came over and said, didn't you get water? to our latecomer. On being reminded that an hour + went by with no attention, she shrugged, brought a glass of water and our change!
No apology or even explanation.
The owner simply did not care!
Not sure about the other two but the meal, although yummy, didn't agree with me which was the final straw - unless l decide to describe the grubby bathrooms with a broken sink, and we saw some of the regulars - men- using the ladies' with the door open.....