All reviews bed and breakfast huge jacuzzi each morning other guests pleasant stay geoffrey downtown dust canada furnishings
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was my third stay at this casual B&B in a rambling brick Victorian in Cabbagetown. I keep coming back because I love the eccentric decor, the casual atmosphere, and the quiet off-the-beaten-path location. As other reviewers have noted, this place is not for everyone. Don't stay here if you expect turndown service, new linens every day, or cookie-cutter accommodations. Do stay here if you like random oddity and unique character, huge English breakfasts, animals (a dog and a cat are in residence), and a relaxed and casual atmosphere. It's like being a guest in your eccentric uncle's mansion. Geoffrey is an excellent host, and the breakfast is cooked to order. The streetcar is a short block away and the ride to downtown takes just minutes. My one complaint is that my bed was a little too firm, but I wouldn't stay anywhere else, considering the value and unique experience provided by Pimblett's.

Room Tip: The Agatha Christie room is at the center of the house and has very little street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank bookish42
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My husband I stayed here in September 2011 for 4 days. The B&B was the worse B&B we have stayed in. It was dirty, very very cluttered and not your typical B&B. We asked for some coffee or tea in the afternoon and was told it is only served at breakfast. They offered nothing to us. The host was not the most helpful, but John the cook in the morning was very pleasant. Breakfast was so so, buffet style in a very small and cluttered kitchen. It felt more like a boarding room and not a B&B. Just not our type of B&B. The common room was so small and cluttered.

We had a private deck but the screen door was torn so we couldn't keep it opened because of bugs coming into the room, and the glass door was so hard to shut. With them knowing when would be arriving you would think the furniture would be clean but it was dirty. The bathroom was new but no place to put your toilettres. We had to use the floor. Would not recommend if you are looking for a clean, romantic place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adelelebo
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I travel a lot for work and decided to try something different so I stayed at Pimbletts for 4 days. If you want cozy friendly affordable place (that is a little bit zany) then this is the place for you. I stayed in the bulter's room, it was at the back of the house and nice and quiet. Be warned that it's not a [place for everyone. If you want a sterile hotel room with no character then it may not be the best place for you. Howevery, for me the price was great compared to the hotels downtown and and the breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank OttawaStu
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I felt like I was walking into a traditional English home, with so many lovely antiques and trinkets decorating the place! The house is absolutely gorgeous, with so many things to look at, and the top floor has it's own little patio that has a beautiful view of the city. The jacuzzi is huge and extremely relaxing also, and we had a very good sleep in the king- sized bed.

Geoffrey is wonderful and we had a lot of fun talking with him in the morning on a variety of a subjects. He makes you feel right at home and cooks a fabulous (huge) English breakfast. Try the Yorkshire tea!! I will be recommending this place to all my friends for sure.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TerraBerry
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Having read the reviews of other travellers, I was quite prepared for Pimbletts to be an 'experience' - unfortunately it was an experience I would rather forget.
Cabbagetown had some lovely old houses, but the general area was rundown. The house itself was so cluttered and - while this may be fun to look at - it was not fun to live in, not having been dusted in months. The bedding in the room was clean and adequate but nothing matched.
The biggest problem was the creaking floors. Obviously this could not be avoided because of the age of the property. Unfortunately, we were unable to sleep at all on our last night. The people 'using' the room above were going up and down the stairs, in and out of the front door all night, pacing the floor and doing 'other things' that were clearly audible to us. We felt very intimidated and couldn't wait to leave at first light.
Although Mr. Pimblett and his cook were friendly, I certainly could not recommend this area or this establishment to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple