“Victorian Charm : Amiable Pets : and onsite Ghost and Cleric”

Pimblett's Downtown Toronto B&B
Ranked #50 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Being retired, I travel 5 months a year, so I seek out sensible places of character, in central locations. And B&B's like Pimblett's are perfect for getting local and current insight so wasted tourist-time is minimised

Geoffrey Pimblett is the perfect and genial host, surrounded by his vast collection of "treasures". The individual rooms take advantage of this and are themed (great fun) Mine came with a ghost, but she probably only called when I was out being a tourist, in this city where I first worked in 1964 as a student

A big secret is that Albert Pimblett is in fact the dog called Bertie

The House is surrounded by public transport, going in all directions, and in the week that I was there I did 27 journeys topped up by taxis

The pricing is very attractive, and includes a great breakfast (in fact I was also invited for dinner one evening)

And yes, the property has a Vicar : his day job is at the Mission for Seamen at lakeside, and the guests all provide a rich source of information about places to see and eat

This amazing dwelling served my every need for accommodation in Toronto, being so centrally located, and brilliantly priced.

And so much FUN!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank BishopOfMelbourne

Reviewed 27 October 2008

The owner was friendly and accomodating (we booked only one day in advance) to my husband and myself during our stay - he gave interesting historical facts and useful advice about the area (including dining, attractions and transportation).

We found the pets of the B & B to be friendly and calm (very cute to boot).

The amenities were outstanding and everything that we needed was included (soaps, shampoo, towels, hairdryer, heat & A/C, internet and cable tv when we needed a break).

Was a comfortable place to come back to after a day of exploring Toronto. We hope to be back soon!

(We stayed in the Balmoral Room which had a private entrance and we found that to be a nice surprise).

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 23 October 2008

I was in Toronto for a business trip and found this jem of a bed and breakfast. Located just off the Yonge Subway line (College station) and a 5 min streetcar ride the location of this bnb was close to my meetings and central to everything that I wanted to see.

When I was doing my research I looked on Google maps and the distances from everything seemed far but don't let it deter you. A one short block walk from Pimbletts to the street car that led to the College subway station led to Yonge and College which you could walk north to Bloor or take the subway.

Geoffrey was very accommodating as I arrived early and a few hours before the check-in time. Non-dog lovers, be for-warned there is a dog on the premises. Bertie (or Albert) the doberman cross rotweiller was a huge suck. Big dog and not a vicious bone at all.

I was set up in the King Georges room. If you can forget the large portrait of King George looking at you, the room was very clean and cosy. It was a queen sized bedroom with a t.v and A DOUBLE JACUZZI TUB!!. I didn't get to use it but on my next trip I will definitely take advantage of it.

Breakfast was a freshly made buffet consisting of pancakes, real scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, fresh fruit, cereal, and tea/coffee. A big feast every morning.

**Geoffrey recommended the House on Parliament restaurant/pub. The food was great and the atmosphere very entertaining. The patrons were all local area residents and everyone knew everyone else. The pulled pork sandwich was great with the Red Leaf (microbrew I assume) beer was a good compliment.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank fungusfreakland
Reviewed 21 October 2008

If you are looking for me to sum this up in one word - 'Grubby' would be the one.

As soon as the door opened the greeting from John worried us. He stood there in his stained t-shirt and allowed us to move our cases into the very cluttered 'lounge' whilst they prepared our room.

We walked into Toronto wondering what to do next and on the way back we checked if the local hotel had any rooms which they had at around the same price but that would have meant losing our deposit according to Pimblett's terms so we decided that we could just about manage to stay 2 nights and tried to laugh it off. We would look back in years to come and remember our stay in Toronto!

The hallway was grubby and the skirting boards needed a good scrub. We inched our way up to our bedroom and I tried to remember the photos from the website - they really don't do the place justice - it's truly awful and trades description comes to mind.

At least the bathroom was clean!

My wife just couldn't get the smell out of her mind and she was most upset at the thought of eating breakfast here.

Breakfast was served by John - in the same t-shirt - and we had to endure the smell of the cooking as the dining room is only available if you walk through the kitchen. In fact you feel like you are eating in the kitchen. Victorian splendor? My wife had a cup of tea the first morning and stayed upstairs the second. I just about managed some toast and some fruit juice but gave the cooked breakfast a wide birth. To be fair my friend's wife ate it and enjoyed it - much to our surprise!

The dog is a softy but has a gas problem (I thought it was my mate and he thought it was me) and the cat is also cute but gets everywhere (including under your bed).

The area is pretty run down but we did find a nice bar and restaurant around the corner - The Ben Wicks on Parliament Street. Nice staff and good food. You can walk downtown in around 15 mins.

Advice - go elsewhere - it isn't that cheap at Pimblett's and you will get much better value for your hard earned cash.

This was the fourth part of our trip around the USA and Canada and Pimblett's did not compare in any way to the other three places we stayed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank laserjet
sp00kyt00, owner at Pimblett's Downtown Toronto B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2008

We are not a Hotel of Victorian Splendor, we advertise ourselves as fun affordable and well located. Clean rooms, updated bathrooms and good hospitality.

We are deeply sorry that this guest was disappointed with our Toronto Bed and Breakfast.

Our bed and breakfast is a home, lived in by Geoffrey the owner, his dog and cat, also a live in housekeeper Mr. Lawrence who works relentlessly keeping the place up to scratch and our breakfast cook John who is very likable always helpful and ready to tell a story
I almost forgot to mention 'Valentina' our friendly resident Ghost. Known to frequent the Agatha Christie Room

We accommodate just over a thousand guests each year; with almost a 100% satisfaction and many return guest that often become friends.

Guest generally has a pre-conceived idea of our home from our Web site and are generally not disappointed

In this instance it is obvious that the guest had a totally different idea of what to expect.

Normally Geoffrey would be at the door to great the guest, unfortunately on this occasion he was not there.
They arrived early in the morning during breakfast time.
John opened the door in his T-shirt from cooking breakfast for 20 people,
It was to early for the room to be ready and he let them leave their bags in the Library with some guidance as to what to see in the neighborhood. and an idea when their rooms would be ready.

John is such a dear and well liked, he has his own e-mail friends made through the bed and breakfast.

We do take a deposit upon making the booking in order to secure the reservation. On the few occasions that people were obviously disappointed a full refund is always offered with recommendation of other establishments that may be more to their liking. On this occasion, no mention of their discomfort was made.

A full refund was given to last unhappy guests, who gave us a bad review even though they did not even check in since they did not like the dog. They were gracious enough to mention this in their scathing review.

Once again we apologies to this particular party from the UK, and their traveling companions.

For just $105 ca. a night they were soon on their way, hopefully to a place that would be more suited.

Geoffrey Pimblett, Mr. Lawrence, John the cook, Albert the dog and Tiddles the resident pussy.
Sorry...... almost forgot Valentina the ghost.

Reviewed 3 October 2008

We enjoyed our stay at Pimblett's. Geoffrey was a wonderful host, the breakfasts were above average, and we enjoyed the location and the reasonable price. Our room, the Queen Elizabeth Room, was comfortable. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2008

What a treasure, what a find

This is the best kept secret in Totonto, and a pity that the terrible reviewer found it. I do believe that that reviewer never stayed at the Inn since they were asked to leave by Geoffrey the owner. Apparently they were appalled by the dog, said that it jumped up at her. During our stay we fell in love with Bettie, his party trick was to lean on you with affection.
So read the web site, dog on the premises. We were allowed to Bertie for walks, discovering the beautiful area of Victorian Town Houses, and Riverdale Farm –The old Toronto Zoo- The area is the downtown residential area known as Cabbagetown. The part of Toronto originally known as York , was created by Lord Symco as the Capital of Upper Canada now Ontario in 1793. We visited fort York which was burnt by the Americans in the 1812 war, in retaliation the British sent a fleet of ships to Washington, and burnt down the White House, hence the name Whitehouse, since it had to be painted white.

Sorry that I am rambling on, but our stay at Pimbletts was so memorable, we are already planning our next trip.

The house was a bit like staying at the British Museum but with great company and friends. We did not experience the Ghost, apparently she only appears in the Agatha Christie Room, but our beds were very comfy, the bathrooms updated and clean, no room service but what dose that matter at the price.

Recommend, recommend. Walk the neighbourhood, look past the street people that frequent every major city, talk to the people that live in the houses and yes we were invited for drinks by a little old lady that had live in Cabbagetown for the last 32 years.

But if you are afraid of dogs, stay away, if you are looking for luxury at $100 a night, you are not going to find it anywhere, if you want downtown, clean rooms,great breakfast and free parking, and friendly people stay at Pimbletts.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2008

From the moment I stepped through the door of Geoffrey Pimblett's B&B, I felt at home. Colourful Geoffrey and team are perfect hosts, very happy to help out on anything they can.

The rooms were spartan and the decor most interesting. The extent of the collections is greater than any museum. Every morning I would look at the wall in the dining area and notice something different.

What makes Pibmblett's most exciting is that it is the most quintessential of British B&B's, yet outside of Canada! In fact, the only thing that tells you this establishment is not in Canada is the maple syrup on the delightful pancakes served up for breakfast (but only after Bacon and Eggs, of course).

Already looking forward to my next trip to Toronto, where I shall stay at Pimbletts.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo