“Rude Owner.. Crappy Place..What A Dump!!”

Saint Lawrence Residences & Suites
Ranked #70 of 106 Speciality Lodging in Toronto
Reviewed 15 August 2007

Worse place I have ever stayed in my life. What a dump. I do not even classify this as a hotel, suites or residence for that matter. The owner guy was rude not understanding at all. The place is very ghetto to say the least. I recommend to any and all people to stay away from this place if you do not want to be sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
11  Thank hmmmm37
SAINTLAWRENCERESIDE, PROPERTY MANAGER at Saint Lawrence Residences & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2007

Usually when some one leaves extreme remarks, we know from the text, who the person is. You! ....We have no clue. Either you have never been a guest and grudging on behalf of someone else. Whatever are your reasons, let me tell you something, no one gets rude for no reason. If you push anybody to extreme, then be prepared to be pushed back. Hopefully, we live in a world of sensible people, I didn't say saints. If your expectation are right, you will always get what you paid for. As someone said, "there are no FREE bananas"

Reviewed 10 December 2006

Never ever give your credit card information to the owner of this crappy hotel. He will rip you apart! He charged me 100s of dollars claiming telephone charges !!!
He is extremely rude and has no professionalism what so ever. He doesnt hesitate to hang up on you, if you try to ask for justification.
He will charge you for each and everything, without even discussing it with you.
Be very careful! Dont recommend at all.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
10  Thank tmgn
SAINTLAWRENCERESIDE, Property Manager at Saint Lawrence Residences & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2007

There are some people who will never be happy. You demand, not request, unreasonable things be done for you. You don't to pay after using the services. You call asking to look around for your husband, on the property, just because he did not answer you phone calls. Then you make long distance calls, knowling fully well, it is only the local calls that are free, even after advising you to use calling card for long distance call. Finally, when charges are put on the credit card, you complain to credit card bank. Then you you turn around and call the owner a Cheat, Rude, and unprofessional. All I can say is, I couldn't have expected any less from you

Reviewed 26 November 2006

Do not book with this hotel unless you can handle very rude and unprofessional management. The owner/operator claims that being a small business excuses him from common courtesy and customer service but it does not. He will hang up on you. He will ignore you. He will hide behind the obnoxious “legal terms and conditions” and do everything in his power to make money off of you while providing as little value as possible. That is his idea of a running a business: money first, customers second. If you wish to support this type of business go right ahead and book, but you have been warned.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
10  Thank Glycolate
SAINTLAWRENCERESIDE, PROPERTY MANAGER at Saint Lawrence Residences & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2006

I guess, you are right. There is no excuse for being rude and discourteous, neither is being a small business. In fact, no business can survive with such attitudes with anyone. Online booking is great convenience. You will also agree, it brings lots of abuses, and fraudulent uses. Every online business has to represent accurately, especially if they accept credit cards as a mode of guaranty, and payment. In case of cancellation, we require it to be done in writing. It is just the right way to do. When traveler asks for a guaranteed room available for certain dates, the traveler also accepts the responsibility to cancel according to the cancellation policy. After making a booking, if you do not feel like following the cancellation procedure, then there is nothing we can do about it. Harassing the property with continuos calling, repeatedly is not the way to go about it. At some point, courtesy becomes a two-way street. At the other end of telephone line may be a real human being, and if you go beyond the limit, then do not be surprised when that other human being is not too receptive to your harassing calls

Reviewed 2 August 2006

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the St. Lawrence for 4 nights in July 06. The Location of the accomodation was great and within easy reach of all the attractions Toronto has to offer.

The room we stayed in was very small, with one double bed, cable tv, refigerator and air conditioning - but there was little space for us to store our suitcases and bags and there were no window in our room - but a skylight above the bed.

There is a clean communal kitchen that offers complimentary drinks and snacks (tea, coffee, water cereal etc) and suffiecent dining and seating areas. There are also loads of bathrooms and showers too choose from, which were always kept in a clean condition. There was also unlimited complimentary internet outside our room, which is never a bad thing!!!

The residences and Suites is also very safe, there is an outside lock to get into the building, then a key code door that lets you in to the floor area and sufficient key locks for our room.

2  Thank cashad
saintlawrence, Property Manager at Saint Lawrence Residences & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2006

Thank you for sharing your good experience. Having read your comments, I would like to add, next time try one of our SUITES. Suite are almost 60% larger, have private bathrooms, shower & kitchenette. Great thing is the price is only 20 - 30% more. For under $150 it is a great deal in Downtown Toronto.

Reviewed 31 July 2006

I had booked a room at this particular hotel through hotels(-) and after reading all the reviews cancelled it the very next day well in advance to what hotels(-) 's cancellation policy is, yet the manager had charges me $700 dollars to my credit card. Now I have disputed the charges with my card company. I am seriously thinking of filing a law suite with this manager if I dont get my money back . The manager is a theif.

Stayed: July 2006
9  Thank shyama

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I don't wish to teach you the law, or tell you about your responsibilities, when you are making an online booking. However, you create a legal and binding contract, when you click on, " I have read the terms and conditions, and agree with the conditions". No one but you make that decision. The posted policy that we have is 1. There is 10% non-refundable deposit required. 2. If you have a need to change or cancel the booking, then do so 3 days prior to arrival. If you don't agree, or your arrival date is less than 3 days, and you feel you may not be able go through with the booking, then DO NOT book. You incur the charges, only, when you make us stop selling the room, and you turn around and want to rescind contract. You know that there is penalty when one arbitrarily breaks the contract. Booking and agreeing one day prior to arrival does not exempt you from your obligations. The contract is both ways, once agreed, we are bound to provide you the room, and in return you must pay the charges for the room, for the duration of the booking. Some hotels may not charge, or charge you for any number of nights. In a FREE society one can have one or more legal conditions, as long as everyone agrees. Why must a contract be any different than what it says? You may not like our terms and conditions, and you don't have to agree with them. At least, when you don't book, we can offer the room to someone who needs the room. Room inventory is a non-bankable commodity. It is not fair to us, when you wish to break the contract without any penalty, because it suits you.
Your booking agent came through for you and had the funds credited back to your account. Be a good citizen, don't agree to any terms that you don't like, but once you agree, then live with the consequences. If there were no losses and gains, then no one will need contracts. Contracts are meant to protect the rights of both parties, and NOT JUST ONE.

A TripAdvisor Member
HOUSTON, TEXAS
Reviewed 4 February 2006

What a hidden gem. I was looking for budget place to stay in downtown Toronto and came across this place. The prices were good, the location was excellent. I booked a deluxe double room, for me and my girl friend. The room was small, but comfortable. It had a TV, fridge, and even a microwave oven. Microwave really came in handy to make morning coffee, and to heat the food. One minor inconvenience, the washroom was shared but it wasn't too bad. There were plenty of washrooms and they were clean. To compensate there was shared, full kitchen, that my girl friend found very handy, to make quick meals for both of us. It was inexpensive, and quiet. Mind you it did not have all the facilities of a big hotel, but we didn't have the time to use them, even if they had them. Truly, I was a bit scared, there were some reviews that cautioned, but I took a chance, and I am glad I did. For us, it was just right, at a good location, quiet, and cheap. I have no hesitation to recommend to anyone who is looking for quiet luxury.

Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SaintLawrenceResiden, Manager at Saint Lawrence Residences & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you is too small to summerise our appreciation!

A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2005

My sister-in-law and her fiance rented this "hotel" (which is really a seedy hostel). They were there a week until the guy wanted to suddenly charge $100 a night for such a dumpy room. He also owes them money for deposit and wouldn't return it. There is also no way of contacting guests. We were desperately trying to reach them and couldn't. All phone calls go through the deskperson (who is also the owner) and he is extremely rude and won't pass on messages and hangs up on you. The place doesn't even remotely resemble the photos. You will get ripped off. And your loved ones will become worried about you when this guy won't let you speak to them or leave messages. There are plenty of nicer, equally-affordable places in the area. This is what they decided to do.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled on business
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 17 January 2006

First of all I’d like to thank the writer, though according to him he was never a guest at this property. Having said that I acknowledge, partially what he described is true. We are a small property, and I answer for four companies, especially after hours, when the calls are Call Forwarded to my cell phone, it is impossible for me to know which company the caller is calling for. I greet the callers by “good day”, “good morning”, “good evening” etc. As it can be confusing to the caller, if I answer phone by the wrong company name. In all honesty, most people don’t mind it.

Secondly our clients are looking for a modestly priced accommodation that is clean and safe, for that they are willing to let go of the frills.

We do not provide information about our guests. We value their privacy, and safety, knowing how many disgruntled relatives, friends, or just strangers are looking for information. We do take the messages, in all hours of day and night, and deliver them verbally or in writing. The phone is in the common lobby, and the guests can make free local calls and receive calls.

More than 2000 guests have stayed with us in 2005, and spent more than 6000 room nights, they came from all over the world. A large number of them left very satisfied.

Happy New Year.