“works well enough for central city location”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #56 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 9 September 2017

The hotel has a small kitchenette so if you are wanting to be able to have some control over your own food preparation, that may be useful information. Unlike European hotels that have this feature they do not have pots and pans or plates in each room, so that may be an issue and wasn't something I had the time to check on. Well located and somewhat dated. Price point if TIFF is NOT on is certainly good value. ( who can account for the rates that TIFF brings? ).

Room Tip: confirm with them if you would like to have the option for your own food prep that they can provide...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Holly M, Marketing Manager at Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were in Toronto for an evening celebrating our Anniversary and decided to choose Pantages as our stay. Close to the theatre and entertainment square, this was a perfect location. Aside from the location, the hotel really had nothing going for it.

When we originally booked the room I informed the hotel it was our Anniversary and they told me they'd ensure they'd include something special for our stay. When we checked in we were told they'd included free wi-fi for our special stay -

nothing says love more than a night on our phones not looking at each other.

As for the room, it was pretty basic. Outdated decor, run down floorboards, and a kitchenette that was stocked with a Keurig, 2 glasses, 6 knives, 3 forks, and 1 spoon. This was embarrassing when we went to eat our pre-prepared breakfast the next morning.

Don't plan on bringing your own food and eating it unless you've got the dishwater and cutlery.

The shower took about 5 minutes to get any heat, the soaps the hotel used were generic hotel brands, and it just seemed the hotel was stinging out on every possible thing they could.

The King bed was certainly on the cozier side, so this was a positive. However, we were interrupted at 7:30 in the morning by two cleaning staff yelling at each other in the hallway. A gentleman in the next room over went out and told them to keep their voices down which was much appreciated. Shout out to that guy if you're reading this!

Lastly, the hotel had a major miscommunication with their check out times. When I booked the room I was told 12:00 pm. At 11:45 while my wife and I were just getting ready to head out, housekeeping knocked and told us we needed to get out and told me that I was wrong about our 12:00 leave. When we got to the front desk to check out, I asked the woman about the 12:00, and she said I was wrong.

She didn't charge us, but make sure to clarify this in your future stays.

Overall, because of the cost of the $300.00/ room, we wouldn't recommend this hotel and will be staying at one of the other beautiful hotels in the area, that will at least try to give their guests a comfortable stay.

I've stayed in much nicer hotels at a third of the cost - I'm glad my wife and I are still married.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Matweeds
Holly M, Marketing Manager at Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. On behalf of the entire team at the Pantages Hotel, I do apologize that things were not up to your expectations - especially on your special day. I know that our Guest Service Manager has already reached out to you personally regarding your concerns and am glad to hear that everything has been resolved.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

When we arrived at the hotel we discovered that there was nowhere to park, not even temporarily to check in (there were 2 spots but they were taken) and there was no one outside to guide us as to where we should park. I called the front desk from my cell phone and I got the voice mail which was full so I couldn't even leave a message. I ended up asking the person who was parked in one of the 2 spots where we should park and he said that he was told that apparently there was an outdoor lot down the street. I drove down the road and found an outdoor lot (was not secure and not nice) but there were no spots left. I had to spend time driving around the block to try to find some other overnight parking lot and I finally did but I had no idea how much it would cost and when I asked the front desk later, they had no idea either so I was worried how much my parking bill would be when I checked out! They did not seem to care that there was no parking for their guests, nor did they care about not having the nightly rate available. When I finally parked and entered the lobby, it was hot, small and very unimpressive. There was a long line of people waiting to check in, a person waiting to get his luggage out of a store room, a man waiting for directions and there was only 1 person to do all of that at the front desk! I have stayed at a lot of hotels and have never seen that before! I had requested 2 beds when I booked the hotel weeks before so when I checked in, I asked if that could be honoured and was told no, that they were fully booked but I could pay $25 for a roll away bed, that turned out to be very uncomfortable. The room was spacious and looked clean but didn't have a clean smell to it and I didn't feel like it was as clean as the hotel chains that I usually stay at. Also, there was one facecloth, 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels when the room is suppose to accomodate at least 2 people! We didn't bother to ask for more because every time that we tried to contact the front desk, we got their voice mail, which was full and no one ever answered. Also, there was no extra roll of toilet paper. We found an extra box of Kleenex in a drawer in the bathroom but it had already been used and that really grossed me out. When we showered, it took a long time for the hot water to come in. The sink was like a trough and because it was so big, there was hardly any counter space to put our things. It wasn't well designed because everything would just sit in it and wouldn't drain well. That was gross. To adjust the temperature in the room, I had to go in a small space between a wall and the curtain. It was very awkward. The bed was comfortable enough. Shortly after I checked out, I realised that I left my hair straightener on the end table beside the bed. My sister stayed another night after I left so she let them know at the front desk, I called a few times, wrote an email and even included my check out date, room number and the exact location of where I left it. This happened 3 days ago and no one from the hotel has gotten back to me about it. I would think that it would be easy to trace with the room #, check out date and location of it but no one seems to care about finding it. Although I loved the location of this hotel (steps from the Eaton Centre and Fran's Restaurant-great breakfast!), I would not recommend it, nor would I return.

Room Tip: Some rooms are much bigger than others and some have a washer/dryer, kitchenette etc.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. I do apologize that you had difficulty with parking. Just to let you know, the hotel does have a partnership with a parking provider just 1 minute up the road who offers special rates to hotel guests. Aside from this, there are lots of nearby lots also available including one at St. Michael's Hospital (right across the road) and one underneath the Toronto Eaton Centre (1 minute walk to hotel). As these lots are run by outside companies, we do not have control of their prices which do change based on day of week and events that are taking place in the area. This is why we recommend our parking partner who offers a flat rate for our guests year round. Based on your feedback, I will be following up with our Guest Services Team to find out why phone calls went unanswered. I will also follow-up with our Lost and Found department regarding your missing hair straightener. Despite these few hickups, I am glad to see that you had a chance to enjoy Frans Restaurant and enjoyed a comfortable night's sleep in one of our King beds.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here on the basis of the reviews given here and in a couple of other sites, thinking this was a boutique type hotel with some style and great service. Sadly, what I experienced was far less than what I had hoped for. The rooms are large but very dated and the bathroom was like a bachelor pad apartment from the 70s. Not sure why you would stay here when there are so many other good options in downtown Toronto.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the Pantages Hotel. I do apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations. Style and service are two important touch points that we do strive for. I am glad to see however, that you found our rooms "large" and spacious.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

I booked online for 2 people in a deluxe room. When my sister-in-law and I arrived we asked for a room with 2 beds. Apparently there were none, but then one was found but it was an extra 50.00. Not wanting to share a bed we agreed but were unimpressed. The room was fine and clean. There was no shampoo and we had to call down in the morning because there was only decaf Keurig pods.
Whole stay was underwhelming .

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thanks for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. As the summer months are quite busy, it is often difficult to modify reservations last minute. Although the hotel does offer a limited number of rooms with two Queen-size beds, these room types are usually sold-out weeks in advance. As our rooms with two Queen-size beds are quite large in size and offer additional amenities such as a kitchen, there is a price difference between them and our Boutique Suites. This is why our Guest Services Team charged you an upgrade fee upon arrival. Based on your feedback, I will be following up with our housekeeping team to find out why shampoo was missed from your room along with regular coffee. I do apologize that these items were not in your room upon arrival. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us - it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

we had a issue a month ago went our vehicle was vandalize by a tenant staying on the resident side ..they use permanent highlighter to write on my windshield .
after complaining to Jessica and Pella they took the time help us remove the writing on my vehicle , apologize for the situation n offer us a good rebate on our stay ...n it was really nice
last week as well we were in toronto and we stay there again and they took good care of us again for sure they are really nice n alawys good a extra miles to accomodate us n make our stay really pleasant.
i really recommand that hotel to anyone visiting toronto...their staff is really nice

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Holly M, Marketing Manager at Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review!

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Convenient location but not worth the money. Polite staff very helpful if you need more information about the area. Rooms were okay coming equip with a full kitchen and refrigerator which can in handy if you want to save some money. Could be more updated with more amenities .

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Holly M, Marketing Manager at Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. I am pleased to hear that you found our staff "Polite & Helpful" and enjoyed the fact that the majority of our rooms do come fully equipped with a full kitchen. As we always want to hear feedback from our guests, please feel free to reach out to us with the additional amenities that you would like to see at our hotel. Once again, thank you for staying with us. We will look forward to having you come back and visit soon.