“Amazing mix of history, city tour and beer”

Beer Lovers' Tour Company
Ranked #9 of 52 Food & Drink in Toronto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Celebrating a passion for beer, food and travel, The Old Toronto Beer Tour explores the culture and history of Toronto against the backdrop of our rich brewing heritage both past and present. The Old Toronto Beer Tour is an all-day experience and includes tours and tastings at 4 breweries--Steam Whistle, Amsterdam Brewery, Izumi Sake Brewery and Mill Street Brewery -- a charcuterie lunch, transportation, sightseeing including entrance to Fort York and a walking tour of the Distillery District. Our tours are professionally guided by fun and knowledgeable brewery experts. We also offer a shorter walking tour of the Distillery District, called the Toronto Beer & Chocolate Tour. Now announcing our newest tour, the Toronto Rail & Ale Tour, running Sundays from 1 to 6.
Reviewed 8 August 2016

This is tour is so much more than just beer. While you are starting with some fresh drinks at Steam Whistle, Oliver will take you down history lane with a visit in Fort York and insights into Canadian and Toronto history. All of it presented in a very entertaining way and never forgetting some beer references. Seeing all major sights of Toronto the trip continues with a major stop in the Distillery District and a stop by at a Sake brewery. Final stop is Amsterdam Brewing where you'll be tasting a broad variety of what beer can be.
I also took the optional Beer Dinner, don't worry, most beers on the tour are sample sized, so you will have capacity for a few more at Dinner! Can definitely recommend that, it's a fun evening with new friends after the full day tour and food and drinks are absolutely worth it.
What else to say? Just the city tour and explanations about history and the development of Toronto are definitely worth the price. The beer and Sake is just a nice add-on if you are a true beer lover, but even if not it's worth joining the tour with your partner or friends to not miss out on this experience! Oliver is a great guide, very personable and he'll make sure you have a great day!

Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

My spouse and myself enjoyed a lovely day learning more about the city we have lived in for most of our lives. Oliver, our tour guide, provided us with a wealth of added knowledge while touring several Toronto historical sites intertwined with the theme of beer with an interesting dash of saki mixed in. After a visit at Steamwhistle Brewery in downtown Toronto, the tour stops at Fort York for a history lesson, followed by a drive through Corktown (east end of Toronto), a visit to Mill Street Brewery in the Distillery District with a short saki diversion, and an extensive stop at the Amsterdam Brewery in East York (Toronto). This is were most people should end their tour day but there is an option to have dinner at the Granite Brewery near Eglinton Avenue East and Mount Pleasant which I don't really recommend. The food at the Granite Brewery is not great and unfortunately the waitstaff don't really take the time to explain what you are drinking with your served meal. All in all though, Oliver does a fantastic job and he has truly found his calling. Perhaps in the future, more beer tours could be offered in the summer months as this is a great time for tourists and teachers alike!

Oliver D, Owner at Beer Lovers' Tour Company, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2016

Thank you so much for taking time to review your Old Toronto Beer tour experience. It was great to share with you my 'take' on our great city and the stories that are buried in the bricka and mortar. I am sorry the Granite was not up to snuff. Normally their food and service is excellent. I will alert them to your comments. Thank you. As for international tours in the summer, this is in the works. Rumour has it that teachers enjoy their beer. Stay tuned. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Oliver is a great, friendly, erudite beer-loving guy. We had a great time and learned a great deal about how beer has been woven into the fabric of our culture and society.
Thanks for the good times.

Oliver D, Owner at Beer Lovers' Tour Company, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2016

Thank you for such an awesome review! No one has ever called me erudite before.
Great to show you around and share my take on TO.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

A group of us went to celebrate some 60th birthdays by doing the Beer Lover's Tour. Our guide, Oliver, really made the day fun and interesting. He was exceptionally knowledgeable about history and beer and was so fascinating to listen to! He even serenaded us with his operatic voice. I would highly recommend this tour!!

Thank you for taking time to review your Old Toronto Beer Tour experience. It was a wonderful day I was delighted to be a part of. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Reviewed 20 July 2016

My husband and I took the Ale and Rail tour with Niall as our guide and it's been the highlight of our trip. We were initially concerned we would be late for the tour due to a prior commitment, but Oliver (tour company owner) was very helpful in making sure we felt comfortable being a little late if needed. We ended up being right on time so we were able to get the maximum fun out of our tour. And by "maximum" I mean "the most beer."

Niall was a fantastic tour guide, partially because he's a fantastic person. He's very warm and personable and about halfway through the tour I realized I didn't feel like I was on a tour with a company, rather I felt like I was just going to drink beer and go to a museum with friends.

The Rail and Ale tour does a very nice job of mixing beer tasting with some really fascinating information. My only complaint about the tour is that I wish it was longer. It's a great deal, though, and I definitely think it's worth more than they charge.

Hi Leslie,

Thank you so much for taking time to share your Toronto Rail & Ale experience. This is a brand new tour for us and we are naturally anxious for feedback. Your review gives us confidence that we are on the right 'track'. We might be able to make it longer adding an early dinner option at a new craft brewery close by. Stay tuned.

And your praise of Niall echoes my very thoughts. He is excellent and we are lucky to have him on board.

Thank you again for your review!