All reviews common areas bed dorm privacy curtains cn tower boutique hostel large kitchen common room own bathroom top floor decent size would stay here again location is ideal queen st within walking distance late at night computers downtown
Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

For the price, the rooms weren't bad other than the uncomfortable beds and half broken a/c that was blowing cold air from the front and hot from the back.
The location was the best part of this hostel. In the perfect spot downtown and close to anything and everything you need.
But the downfall, the second we went to check in, we noticed how unprofessional the lady at the front desk was. The way she was talking and the vulgar words she was using in front of people who were about to check in, was extremely unprofessional.
We were ok with all of this and we're dealing with it all because the price was right... until it came to the last day..
We weren't informed when check out was so we assumed it was 2 o'clock, like check in.
While waiting in our room to check out, the cleaning lady came to change the sheets and did not mention anything about us having to check out.
We went downstairs and checked out no problems and on our way we went.
At the airport we noticed an email saying we had checked out late and we're being charged a fee. After checking with the credit card company, we found out we had been charged $64.00 for late check out fee! MORE THAN WHAT WE PAID FOR ONE NIGHT.
We later found out that check out WAS at 2 o'clock and were told we checked out at 2.30, which is not true.
The people running this hostel are clearly money grabbers and they obviously are not putting the money they're stealing from people into their hostel because it needs a serious upgrade.
Not impressed and would never stay here or give these people my money again.
If they got new staff or owners then maybe it would be worth it.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank jamaicagirlxox
Reviewed August 4, 2017

I booked 2 beds in a 6 girls bedroom for me and a friend of mine from the US. We were spending a weekend in Toronto. If you are looking for a cheap place but with clean and comfortable place to stay, this is the perfect place! From what I've heard from my other friends staying at different hostels during that time, their price were slightly more expensive, but having about the same comfortness here at The Clarence. It was mid July quite hot, but it had cool AC, clean bed sheets, room and bathroom. The kitchen also provides basic breakfast like cereal, milk, juice and stuff. Also, the location is really good! Close to Kensington martket and the bar street is just two, three streets behind the hostel. Not too close with loud noise, but also not to far from walking back after a drink. A park in fron of the hostel also brought some quietness. The only thing that I could complain of is that, because my friend arrived in Toronto after the check-in hour, the reception said she would leave the bed sheet and blanket to the night guard, so when my friend arrives at mid-night she could pick them up. However, she did not, eventually my friend had to sleep with towels as a cover during her first night. Besides this, I think it's a really nice place to stay! 這裡真的是一個很棒的地方!如果你想找價格便宜,但環境衛生乾淨的青年旅館這裡再適合不過了。地點就在市中心,前緣面向公園提供一個安靜舒適的環境,酒吧街就在兩三條街後面,部會太近以至於晚上太吵,但也不會太遠走路只需五分鐘而已。

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

Stayed at The Clarence Park for 6 nights and everything was great. The location is incredible, literally open the front door and the CN tower is staring you in the face! Because of the great location I walked my way around the City each day, only using the subway when I went up to Casa Loma (well worth visiting by the way!)

I had a private room in building 10: the bed was very comfortable and the room spacious. My only comment would be that the shower pressure was quite poor but not really a major problem

Didn't really spend time in the common areas so can't really comment on atmosphere

Would recommend

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank thecrimson
Reviewed May 13, 2017 via mobile

This review is going to be a little bit mixed so please stay with me, I'm going to begin on a positive note...

The location of this hostel is excellent, really close to all the main attractions, in an easily accessible area from all transit routes and has all the shops/restaurants and bars you could need right on the doorstep! I loved this area so much that I actually ended up renting a condo 2 blocks away after moving out.

The hostel itself is well maintained, it's fairly new and extends over about 6 buildings mixed with dorm rooms, private rooms and apartments. The rooms are all cleaned on a daily basis. The building has a kitchen, reception room, tv room and computers to use.

Based on this, I would stay here again.

Now on to the negative...

I arrived pretty early in the morning and was aware that I couldn't check in until 2pm, so I dropped off my case and went exploring, after travelling overnight I was super tired so got back to the hostel at around 2:30pm to check in and my room wasn't ready, I finally got into my room at 3pm, an hour after check in time.

You're assigned a particular bed, now if managed correctly this can definitely work, however it is not managed correctly, in my dorm room there was a girl who stayed in one bed and then for the next night had to move into another bed in the same room! Pretty stupid, but not the stupidest thing I saw, there was somebody else in my room who had to move rooms 4 times!!! The whole booking process really needs looking into!

Personally I didn't feel that this hostel had a good atmosphere, in fact, at times it felt pretty hostile, in the evenings the staff tend to take over the living room drinking, this would be fine if they were inclusive or organised nights out to encourage socialising, but they don't, it felt very awkward and if the kitchen was full, you had no option but to sit in your room, as this hostel is split over a few different buildings, it could be beneficial to have a living room in another building as an additional social space to sit in.

There were two really helpful staff, Gabby and a lady whose name I didn't catch but she tends to work the evening shifts, both approachable and friendly, some of the other female staff I felt were rude and unapproachable.

A bit of a mixed bag, some super great points and some not so great, this hostel has the potential to be amazing but needs a few tweaks.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2017 via mobile

This is not luxury, but the rooms are clean and functional and a few have private bath. The location, just a 10 minute easy walk from Union Station, makes it ideal. Not having 24 reception can be a problem if you intend to arrive late. Luckily for me a cleaning lady was able to check me in.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo