“Nice Hotel”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto
Ranked #45 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I recently stayed at The Cosmo for one night during the weekend. I found the reception staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful with the questions I had about the area and things to do. I was in the city to mainly shop and the hotel was within easy walking distance to the Eaton Centre, which had plenty of shopping to keep me busy for the day.

I booked the regular or Zen room which was much nicer than I anticipated. With the separate little kitchen area and the bed area off kind of around the corner it was like a bachelor apartment. I had one full wall of windows, the view wasn't great but it was nice light and one wall of with half windows with a better view. The bathroom was small but nice, very clean and modern like with a very large shower and good water pressure. The toiletries were nice and towels large and plush.

My only complaint about the hotel was that I didn't have any dishcloths in my little kitchen. There was dishwasher but I still would have like some towels and clothes to wipe down the counters. Also I kept having issues with my key card, which you need to operate the elevator as well as to get into your room.

I went to the spa for a few treatments which were nice, but the girls seemed a little less experienced than other places I have been to, and the prices were somewhat steep.

All in all those it was a very nice stay and I would definitely go back again.Location was great and the bed was comfortable, what more can you ask for...oh maybe cheaper parking.

Room Tip: I preferred the zen room to the one bedroom, it seemed more spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed here on December 30, 2011. The staff at reception couldn't have been more helpful. Our suite on the 16th floor was large, spotlessly clean, and very comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was bright and airy. Everything appeared very new and the toiletries in the bathroom were first class. Our only problem was that the bathroom door had a loud squeak which I am sure would have become annoying had we been staying longer than one night. We did report it to the staff the next morning. We had dinner in the wine bar because we were given a discount coupon. We were not disappointed at all with the meal. The continental breakfast the next morning was adequate with a variety of bread, muffins and fruit but we would have prefered more choices of cereals instead of Rice Crispies. Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We had a Groupon Coupon which gave us free valet parking. Otherwise, ask the staff about the cheape...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This was a 4-star hotel we booked in an expensive location for a 3 star price. At the end of the stay, I would surmise this hotel is 3-3.5 stars regardless of price.

Pros:
Large space – feels like staying at someone’s small 1 bedroom apartment with 3 distinct rooms (bedroom, kitchen/living, and bathroom).
Great location
Comfortable bed

Cons:
The rooms/hallways smell a bit moldy. As other reviewers have mentioned, the bathrooms have noticeable mildew etc in the showers.
It’s supposed to be a boutique hotel, but really it’s just a converted apartment building that dimmed the lights in the elevators and hallways so you can’t see details, like dings, dents, worn carpet.
The walls are thin so you do hear your neighbours and people in the hallway. I shot out of bed at 3am one morning when someone was knocking on my neighbour’s door, even with my bedroom door closed within the apartment.
Linens are of poor quality (bedding mostly)
Everything wasn’t exactly spic and span – when I first walked into my bedroom, I could immediately see a heavy pile of dust on the nightstand next to the bed, an obvious location to clean. I ran my finger down the table and came away with a grey pile on my finger. Who knows what else was not cleaned properly.
Front desk staff was not especially friendly.
Internet is not included – what century is this? They are in the heart of the financial district of Canada, and internet is an additional charge of $20/day. The business center charges $0.50/min, more than the most expensive cities in Europe.

Overall, it’s a decent hotel in a good location for a good price. I don’t think I would recommend this hotel to friends, and likely won’t stay here again though as you can get a better hotel for a slightly higher price elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank redmud
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed here for the easter weekend and it was wonderful! Le marche restaurant close by to this hotel, eaton centre, convenient pharmacy shoppers, tims, sub just very central. The hotel itself was perfect! Loved my room on the 26th floor. Washer dryer which I appreciated staying for 4 days. Food wasn't too bad but my preference was to go out. The bar downstairs is quaint not a huge selection in wine but the service there was great. They are all willing to help you in whatever you need! Paid parking is a HUGE annoyance for me when I am already staying at your hotel! Further down the street is underground. It was free. My balcony view was alright. More buildings surround me so it was more just height but I still appreciated it. Bed pillow was not comfortable but bed itself was decent. Enjoy your stay!:)

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank female2
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I booked this hotel for a seminar that was taking place at the exchange center. My original criteria for selecting the cosmo was that it was a 4 star with strong reviews and very close to everything.

I will describe the aspects of this hotel in such a way that anyone skimming this review can likely jump to what is important.

The room:
I was in a Zen Suite (their cheapest room). This room was MUCH bigger than i expected. a fully functional kitchenette, living room, decent and clean washroom and a very decently sized bedroom. The bed was excellent. The washer and dryer was a surprise. The living room was nice enough that I entertained friends one evening (and actually cooked up something for them). The bathroom was very bright and clean, but the toilet could have used some maintenance. I did not really have a view on the 11th floor (except into the opposing office building... and they could likely see me very well as well), but this just is not an issue for me. If anyone else needs a view, specifically request a room near the top of the hotel. One thing to note, I would not call this room child friendly. It is definitely geared towards adults (modern, simple, elegant). In addition, the sound proofing was not the best. I expect that if you bring children, it will in fact be you disturbing other clients. This again was not an issue for me but should be considered.

Location:
If you are planning to walk, it is a great spot. Minutes from most anything in the core downtown. The road was not easy to get to by car because of construction, and I am told this is not uncommon, and parking (should you need it) is not cheap... about $35/night (I flew in).

First Impressions:
When you first walk in, it is somewhat claustrophobic in the entrance area. VERY small. The hallways too. As a result, I started out with a weak impression of what this stay will be like. I felt much better when I found my room.

Staff:
Extremely nice and helpful. A newspaper at my door every morning, and everyone seemed to genuinely enjoy working at this hotel. Makes for a nice change. I was a bit thrown off by women coming in the evening with incense or other aroma items, but it is a spa'ish/zen'ish hotel, and it fits with the theme.

Overall, it was certainly more than I expected, and if I need to stay downtown for multiple days, I will certainly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Again, if you want a view you will need a room near the top.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel on November 11 for one night. I booked it with Quickbook because they offered a great rate of 129.00. When we were checking in, the hotel had us booked at $159.00 and promised to correct the error. I should not have been suprised that when we were checking out, I was charged the higher rate and it took a while to ensure that I got my credit card refunded on the spot. We encountered incompetence and sloppy service throughout our stay including waiting for slippers for an hour and returning to the front desk several times because rooms cards were not working. But the worst of it came several days later when I checked my credit card statement and found out that were were charged over $40.00 for wine and chocolate that were not even in the room as alcohol was locked in the fridge. I won't repeat what other reviewers said about the accommodations but they are not comfortable or zen. Bathroom tiles were not cleaned in a while, floors were dusty so you could not work without shoes, and sofa was not big enough for 2 people to sit comfortably. We booked this hotel because of its location and positive reviews but I can't recommend my experience to anyone. We travel a fair bit, and don't place unreasonable demands on places where we stay, but this stay was the worst.

Room Tip: Book a room, if you dare, on higher floors as the hotel is facing an office building
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Queen_Marg0t
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I was originally booked in for two nights which I prepaid online through the hotel's website. It was a visit for leisure, so location (while being central was important, where in the downtown I was was not) wasn't a primary concern. However, the location was excellent as well.

The entrance to the hotel is on a side street, and while the reception area is rather intimate, the quality of service and the quality and size of the rooms made up for it. Who really hangs out in the lobby, anyway?

I was only able to stay one of the nights I'd intended as my dog escaped from where we had boarded him which meant I had to travel home to join the search, but my one night was enough to absolutely ensure my return.

Upon learning of my predicament, the front desk staff went ahead and issued me a partial refund - even without my having requested any refund - and expressed their sincere concern. It was excellent treatment that left me with the impression they truly valued my business.

I have recommended this hotel to others, and will continue to do so. I look forward to my next stay here!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo