New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan
Ranked #65 of 131 Hotels in Toronto
Barrie, Canada
“Rooms greatly exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

I'm writing this review while lounging on the leather couch sipping a cup of coffee in the room. We selected the "tranquility suite" which is a 1 bedroom with a living room, kitchen and an awesome bathroom. Room is spotless and modern with a fountain if you can believe it. Two flat panel tv's and very tastefully decorated.

Really in a market where even a basic room costs you 120 bucks this place is a bargain at 146.00 a night. Don't use their parking, its very expensive and will not fit a full size truck. Street parking is free from 9 pm to 8 am if you can find a spot. There are other lots within a block which are much cheaper as well.

Overall very very impressed with the rooms in this chic boutique condo esk type hotel. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank ramblingsalesman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We booked this hotel through a Groupon as we were watching a concert downtown and didn't want to drive back to the burbs. The customer service was great here. The lobby is kind of small, but has a boutiquey vibe. Our room didn't have the greatest view, but that wasn't really a problem as we got there at night. I found the room clean and boutiquey, but thought that the tv was in an awkward position (couldn't watch it from the bed, etc.). It was also in a weird position in regards to the chairs. The kitchen was cool but very very small. I found the bathroom to be very clean, which is quite important to me. I also really liked hearing jazz music when we walked in (there was just a radio set to a jazz station)...it was a small and simple touch but it really lent itself to the boutiquey downtown vibe. However, we didn't get incense -- something about checking in too late. No biggie but I was a touch disappointed. Not a real problem.

They allowed us to have late checkout and that is that. A great hotel but again, parking was too much. And the hotel is a little 'hidden' from the main roads, which may be a good or bad thing depending on the individual.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrownLibra
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here while attending a concert at the ACC the rooms are clean, basically apartments. They were clean and well kept. No view, but can't expect much downtown Tdot anyways. The elevator was a bit tricky as you have to swipe your card everytime you wanted to get back to your room. Sometimes even swiping didn't work. Other then that we enjoyed the room service food and the room.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

Don't be fooled by the pictures.. My boyfriend and I stayed here this weekend and it was alright.. Nothing special.. The decor was plain, the furnitures were dinged all over and the room and linens smelt so musty.. The rooms were just surfaced cleaned.. underneath the bed and other areas were so dusty.. The size of the televisions were sadly soo small!

And also !! I don't know if this is common, but this is the first hotel that I've been to that does cleaning 6 o'clock in the evening!! We went down to the spa and were extremely surprised that when we came back, our bed was made but the pillows were not put back in place :/ and also there was a sign that you place outside of the door if you want your room cleaned and we didn't put ours out :s.. weird

But I will let people know that they have gotten rid of their mildew issue. the washroom was clean..

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tashsolo
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I recently stayed at The Cosmo for one night during the weekend. I found the reception staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful with the questions I had about the area and things to do. I was in the city to mainly shop and the hotel was within easy walking distance to the Eaton Centre, which had plenty of shopping to keep me busy for the day.

I booked the regular or Zen room which was much nicer than I anticipated. With the separate little kitchen area and the bed area off kind of around the corner it was like a bachelor apartment. I had one full wall of windows, the view wasn't great but it was nice light and one wall of with half windows with a better view. The bathroom was small but nice, very clean and modern like with a very large shower and good water pressure. The toiletries were nice and towels large and plush.

My only complaint about the hotel was that I didn't have any dishcloths in my little kitchen. There was dishwasher but I still would have like some towels and clothes to wipe down the counters. Also I kept having issues with my key card, which you need to operate the elevator as well as to get into your room.

I went to the spa for a few treatments which were nice, but the girls seemed a little less experienced than other places I have been to, and the prices were somewhat steep.

All in all those it was a very nice stay and I would definitely go back again.Location was great and the bed was comfortable, what more can you ask for...oh maybe cheaper parking.

Room Tip: I preferred the zen room to the one bedroom, it seemed more spacious.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed here on December 30, 2011. The staff at reception couldn't have been more helpful. Our suite on the 16th floor was large, spotlessly clean, and very comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was bright and airy. Everything appeared very new and the toiletries in the bathroom were first class. Our only problem was that the bathroom door had a loud squeak which I am sure would have become annoying had we been staying longer than one night. We did report it to the staff the next morning. We had dinner in the wine bar because we were given a discount coupon. We were not disappointed at all with the meal. The continental breakfast the next morning was adequate with a variety of bread, muffins and fruit but we would have prefered more choices of cereals instead of Rice Crispies. Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We had a Groupon Coupon which gave us free valet parking. Otherwise, ask the staff about the cheape...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

This was a 4-star hotel we booked in an expensive location for a 3 star price. At the end of the stay, I would surmise this hotel is 3-3.5 stars regardless of price.

Pros:
Large space – feels like staying at someone’s small 1 bedroom apartment with 3 distinct rooms (bedroom, kitchen/living, and bathroom).
Great location
Comfortable bed

Cons:
The rooms/hallways smell a bit moldy. As other reviewers have mentioned, the bathrooms have noticeable mildew etc in the showers.
It’s supposed to be a boutique hotel, but really it’s just a converted apartment building that dimmed the lights in the elevators and hallways so you can’t see details, like dings, dents, worn carpet.
The walls are thin so you do hear your neighbours and people in the hallway. I shot out of bed at 3am one morning when someone was knocking on my neighbour’s door, even with my bedroom door closed within the apartment.
Linens are of poor quality (bedding mostly)
Everything wasn’t exactly spic and span – when I first walked into my bedroom, I could immediately see a heavy pile of dust on the nightstand next to the bed, an obvious location to clean. I ran my finger down the table and came away with a grey pile on my finger. Who knows what else was not cleaned properly.
Front desk staff was not especially friendly.
Internet is not included – what century is this? They are in the heart of the financial district of Canada, and internet is an additional charge of $20/day. The business center charges $0.50/min, more than the most expensive cities in Europe.

Overall, it’s a decent hotel in a good location for a good price. I don’t think I would recommend this hotel to friends, and likely won’t stay here again though as you can get a better hotel for a slightly higher price elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business