“One of Toronto's best.”

Ranked #1,053 of 8,996 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 3 April 2017

I don't give out 5 star ratings very often, but when I do, I mean it. There is a reason I keep coming back to this place. As other reviewers have mentioned, the style here is sort of modern Korean fusion style pub food. Every dish I've had here has been amazing. The wait times can be long, but worth it, and the service is always great. Lengthy cocktail menu as well. Make it happen.

Reviewed 4 November 2016

No sign out front, no problem. You will get there by following the steady stream of eager diners. Small space, small dishes, honking big flavours. Everything I have tried there is incredibly tasty. Go with friends, order many different dishes and share in their delight as they devour every scrap, then argue heatedly (yes, some of the dishes are very spicy)about which ones to order again. Service is lightening fast, so even if you have to wait for a table, when you are seated be ready to hit the ground running.

1  Thank Robin B
Reviewed 21 October 2016

Went here for a birthday dinner. Creative cocktails, inventive and fantastic tasting food, as well as great service and an amazing decor/ambiance. I will definitely be returning. Have the squash poutine - it will change your life!!

1  Thank Colin L
Reviewed 14 October 2016

This Ossington district never fails to deliver - and this location is simply incredible. If you like anything about Korean food, this restaurant just amplifies that by 100. Great casual atmosphere. A bit hard to find..but worth the search. A staple to go back to.

Reviewed 13 October 2016

Looking at the new condo construction on Ossington Avenue north of Queen West, I couldn't help but think that the neighbourhood's success will be its downfall, as the numerous eclectic and innovative restaurants make way for expensive housing. We came hoping to find a table at OddSeoul -- they don't take reservations -- and counted ourselves lucky; it was just 6:30 pm and only one of the five deuces was occupied. We were early. The music was loud James Brown-like funk with platter scratching and sampling; if we couldn't compete with the sound and have a conversation, at least the music would be good.

Odd Seoul is narrow and deep, and has the feel of a bar-restaurant in the movie Blade Runner; it's rough and beaten up, in a real and not staged way, but funky and full of energy. There's more space devoted to drinking at the bar than to eating at tables, of which there are 5 tables of two and 2 tall tables with stools that might allow for 4 to 6 people. We took a table on the aisle, on the wall, with me facing the kitchen and the head of a bear staring down at me over the threshold.

While I squinted to read the menu on the clipboard in the dark, my date pointed out that it was also on the large backlit sign on the wall above us. While the prices of the items hinted at their portion size, we asked our server how many items we ought to order. She asked if we were "dinner hungry"? I'd never heard that expression before but immediately understood it. We were definitely dinner hungry. We order a steamed bun, Bulgogi cheesesteak, tempura prawns, pork belly and kimchi fried rice, and a sizzling spicy chicken platter.

The cheesesteak arrived first. The bun was fresh and doughy and the meat and other contents juicy, spicy and incredibly tasty. The tempura prawns were out of this world: the tempura could have been eaten alone but, married to the prawn inside, was incredible. We shared four and any more would have spoiled it. The steamed bun was also very good, filled with a mix of crunchy and soft, and savoury, marinated BBQ pork (I think). The spicy chicken platter was heaped with grilled chicken bits and fried onion, peppers and other diced veggies and arrived on a sizzling cast iron plate with sides of steamed rice and thinly sliced Daikon radish wraps. It too was wonderful -- not too spicy hot but full of flavour. Now, we should have stopped eating at this point, but we still had the pork belly kimchi fried rice to come. But kimchi was the house specialty, we were told. The dish arrived looking very much like a medium-sized plate of fried rice, topped with a sunny-side up fried egg. And that's about what it was -- it was fine but if there was kimchi and pork belly in it, it was overwhelmed by the fried rice and egg. But we were full, so we left half of it on the plate, and perhaps that's where the missing ingredients were hiding.

The restaurant is known for its cocktails but we were after beer and Odd Seoul comes up short in this category. I had a draft Boneshaker from Amsterdam, with too much head and not cold enough for my liking, and my date had a can of Stiegl.

OddSeoul is a great place for casual drinks and a bite, especially if you're in the mood for adventure. The food is creative, very tasty and certainly worth sampling if you like sharing the (mostly) small plates. I'd highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank Ted G